• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 maidenofiron

maidenofiron

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 217 posts

Posted 25 April 2007 - 12:00 PM

Hello everyone. 8 days ago i did a little experiment. I pastuerized some of my garden compost (which was fully composted), mixed it with vermiculite (roughly 30/70 verm/compost) and put some crumbled brf cakes in with the mix into small ziplock baggies. It was anywhere between 60 to 80% compost in these bags. and i added a few small cuts in the bag on the sides and a few on the bottom. i did 5 bags in all. this was the first time i had ever tried spawning so i wasnt sure how it would turn out. they have been incubating in around 75 to 83 degree temps, and ive given them fresh air atleast once a day. but maybe 3 days ago it seemed as if they stopped colonizing the compost, after doing well for the previous 5 days. they are anywhere from maybe 50 to 80% done if completely cover in mycelium is considered "done". my question then is, why might have colonization slowed or stopped, can i do anything to help it along, or is this ok and should i move on to fruiting? thanks guys!

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_3538.JPG
  • IMG_3537.JPG
  • IMG_3536.JPG

#2 maidenofiron

maidenofiron

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 217 posts

Posted 26 April 2007 - 12:26 PM

anyone have an idea?

#3 dial8

dial8

3 Fungi Mod

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 5,767 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 26 April 2007 - 12:32 PM

Could be a number of reasons it has stalled. Maybe the compost is clumpy and packed together too tightly or it could be to moist. I'm not sure, but if it were me I would knead the bags to mix up the colonized portions and the uncolonized ones. Its the same principle as shaking grain jars to redistribute the mycelium.

Mix it all up together one time and stick it back in the incubator. SHould take only a few days to recolonize completely.

#4 maidenofiron

maidenofiron

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 217 posts

Posted 26 April 2007 - 04:27 PM

ok great, i was thinking something along those lines but didnt want to hurt the myc. thanks!

#5 maidenofiron

maidenofiron

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 217 posts

Posted 29 April 2007 - 01:21 PM

so after mixing up the compost there really has been no signs of further colonizing. instead a few bags decided to pin. would it be ok to case uncolonized compost in vermiculite and let them fruit? after mixing the bags i realized that they were more like 30% colonized.

#6 Nabby

Nabby

Mushroom Muncher

• Expired Member
  • 508 posts

Donator

Posted 29 April 2007 - 02:06 PM

If they're pinning, I would have to assume they've been getting too much light. Now the myc is concentrating more on producing fruits rather than colonization.

#7 maidenofiron

maidenofiron

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 217 posts

Posted 29 April 2007 - 03:27 PM

hmm so i guess half a minute of light a day is too much then.. doesnt seem like much. so then what should i do? let them be, or case them in something?

#8 Guest_DaGoon_*

Guest_DaGoon_*

Posted 29 April 2007 - 06:25 PM

half a minute of light? nah
i wanna say ive gotten away with leaving the light on for over 12 hours before. but those were accidents and usually not consecutive..

Case or not? Id just let it pin.
i think if you cased it.. the mycelium couldnt grow into into the mix quick enough. the troopers are goung to emurge from under the mix; so its kinda in the way.. and a wet casing might damage the pins that ARE forming (assuming there are more on the way)

#9 maidenofiron

maidenofiron

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 217 posts

Posted 29 April 2007 - 06:44 PM

thanks for the advice. i think i will put the bags in the fruiting chamber and keep them open for fresh air. i hope the compost wont be magnets for contams. wish me luck

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!