Fisana

- - - - -

Rubbing alcohol stalling growth

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_infected_*

Guest_infected_*

Posted 14 February 2005 - 12:48 AM

i recently inocculated 6 brf jars with honey water. when i did this i liberally used rubbing alcohol, dipping the needle after each flame and wiping off then injecting. i did this in between each jar. it has been about 5 days without growth. the needle had 3 fluff balls of healthy myc in it.there are a million other factors that could be causing this, but its just a thought.

#2 Lazlo

Lazlo

old hand

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 7,620 posts

Posted 14 February 2005 - 03:46 AM

Don't dip the needle in alcohol. Only wipe it with a clean cloth with alcohol on it in between jars. The flame sterilization works great for rendering any contams inside of the needle before you get started nocking up your jars.

(Message edited by looper on February 14, 2005)

#3 Guest_rodger_*

Guest_rodger_*

Posted 14 February 2005 - 06:33 AM

The flame will sterilize your needle. Alcohol won't sterilize anything. To dip in alcohol after the flame only gets it dirty again. If any alcohol gets inside the needle it will kill the myc.

#4 Guest_ªb·sinth_*

Guest_ªb·sinth_*

Posted 14 February 2005 - 07:46 AM

<blockquote><hr size=0><!-quote-!><font size=1>quote:</font>

Alcohol won't sterilize anything<!-/quote-!><hr size=0></blockquote>

what about bleach?

#5 Guest_hippie3_*

Guest_hippie3_*

Posted 14 February 2005 - 07:57 AM

i think what rodger means
is that a brief exposure to alky
is insufficient.
so a quick dip isn't helping.
prolonged exposure will kill,
as will a brief flame, of course.
one generlly needs neither
as long as the needle never contacts
unsterile surfaces.

#6 Guest_ªb·sinth_*

Guest_ªb·sinth_*

Posted 14 February 2005 - 08:05 AM

i tend to keep away from flames, i'm always afraid of flammable gasses in the glovebox

#7 Guest_vrooota!_*

Guest_vrooota!_*

Posted 14 February 2005 - 08:14 AM

just use a little lighter, safer and more convenient if you can find a brand that burns clean enough. I think crickets or their generic equivalent is the type i use that leaves no residue

#8 Guest_rodger_*

Guest_rodger_*

Posted 14 February 2005 - 10:44 AM

i tend to keep away from flames, i'm always afraid of flammable gasses in the glovebox<!-/quote-!><hr size=0></blockquote>
There is no need for flammable gasses in a glovebox. Soap and water is all that is required.

#9 Guest_infected_*

Guest_infected_*

Posted 14 February 2005 - 04:34 PM

thanks for the input, i'll innoc 6 jars tonight and see how it goes. so should i just toss the original jars as they will most likely contam with no signs of growth? thanks again

#10 Guest_the_*

Guest_the_*

Posted 14 February 2005 - 05:15 PM

What? Don't toss those jars out, they might still be good. Only toss those suckers when you see (or smell) the contams. Wait it out a bit longer, if you don't see any growth, try to innoculate again.

#11 fender

fender

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 70 posts

Posted 14 February 2005 - 05:29 PM

What? Don't toss those jars out, they might still be good<!-/quote-!><hr size=0></blockquote>
Right don't toss them yet.
I use alcohol soaked towel to wipe my syringe as well, and only flame sterilize between inserting my needle in to the jar of mycelium water.
I do not wipe for every jar though.
For cakes I inoculate 2 half pint jars for every 10 mL syringe. I wipe after injection of mycelium and set it aside giving just enough time to take the foil off and loosen both jar lids.
I then very steadily, inoc. 5 points for each jar(i.e. the corners and middle). I then move quickly to the next jar and repeat.
This is just the way I have grown comfortable with and have great success. Every one has thier own way of cutivation.

(Message edited by Fender on February 14, 2005)

#12 insight

insight

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 824 posts

Posted 15 February 2005 - 09:11 AM

For cakes I inoculate 2 half pint jars for every 10 mL syringe.<!-/quote-!><hr size=0></blockquote>

Isn't 1cc the same as 1ml? If it is, your using 5cc's inoculant per Jar?

#13 Lazlo

Lazlo

old hand

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 7,620 posts

Posted 15 February 2005 - 02:40 PM

Yeah, 1cc is all you need for 1/2 pints. Any more than that F's up the formula and slows things down.

#14 morthos

morthos

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 605 posts

Posted 15 February 2005 - 02:50 PM

After waiting for 15min after spraying Lysol inside a glovebox, is the air inside still flammable?

#15 Guest_rodger_*

Guest_rodger_*

Posted 15 February 2005 - 02:55 PM

Yes.

I fail to see any reason why one would wish to spray a surface disinfectant inside a glovebox. Do you intend to dump the contents of your jars out onto the floor of the glovebox?

#16 fender

fender

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 70 posts

Posted 15 February 2005 - 08:55 PM

Insight,
yes they are the same.
I don't use spore syringes anymore, I use mycelium water, as I make a small mouth jar 3/4 the way full w. the stuff.
So I do overkill, but i have so much to throw around.
And after the mycel. recovers, my jars are almost 1/2 way colonized.

(Message edited by Fender on February 16, 2005)

#17 Guest_a.k.a._*

Guest_a.k.a._*

Posted 15 February 2005 - 08:59 PM

So you use just soap and water in your glove box rodger? Is Ozium the best product to spray in a glovebox?

#18 Guest_rodger_*

Guest_rodger_*

Posted 15 February 2005 - 09:06 PM

I use soap and water only. All you need is a still air environment. If the air isn't moving, nothing gets in your jars or petri dishes. I'll post a pic of my glovebox soon. It's set up where I can get my hands in and out to heat the scalpel or syringe with a lamp located outside the box. I don't like flames in the box because they generate so much heat.

#19 Guest_a.k.a._*

Guest_a.k.a._*

Posted 15 February 2005 - 09:27 PM

Can you move at an average pace or do you have to slow things down?
Could you do this in a bathroom then, if it was your only draft free room?

#20 Guest_rodger_*

Guest_rodger_*

Posted 15 February 2005 - 10:13 PM

Some growers get away with using bathrooms. Bear in mind most bathrooms have a lot of mold around the toilet and bathtub caulking. A glovebox would suit you better. A flowhood would be best of all.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!