Paradox
©
Fisana

- - - - -

I substituted Rabbit Food for BRF in the PF tek.

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Mr. Natural #1_*

Guest_Mr. Natural #1_*

Posted 02 May 2007 - 03:39 AM

I substituted Rabbit Food for BRF in the PF tek.
Test Test 009.jpg

The jars on the left (in front of the Rabbit Food) are the Rabbit Food jars. The jars on the right are control jars of plain old PF substrate. The jar on the far left is pretty much fully colonized so now I am going to try to fruit all of the jars in the usual manner. In a Perlite lined fish tank. I am going to try to fruit the partly colonized jar to test the contaminate resistance of the Rabbit Food substrate.
Test Test 010.jpg

#2 the jesus

the jesus

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 2,583 posts

Posted 02 May 2007 - 08:33 AM

If you're going to birth a jar that isn't fully colonized (not recommended) as an experiment, you should probably do it in a separate fruiting chamber. That way when it contams you don't infect the rest of 'em.

Good luck with these Mr. Natural :rasta:

#3 Bobcat

Bobcat

Selah!

• Expired Member
  • 3,573 posts

Posted 02 May 2007 - 09:37 AM

GL!!!! That rabbit food is prolly really high in nitrogen and contam prone- but without any grains, maybe. Nice experiment. Can't wait to see some results!

Was this LC?

#4 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 02 May 2007 - 10:43 AM

what are the ingredients listed on your package of rabbit food there ?

#5 Bobcat

Bobcat

Selah!

• Expired Member
  • 3,573 posts

Posted 02 May 2007 - 12:04 PM

Thats a good question, Hippie. I assumed an alfalfa/clover type mix (hence the LC question). But you know what they say about assuming....

From Hartz:

DESCRIPTION
HartzĀ® NUTRITION™ Original Recipe™ Pet Rabbit Food is a special combination of high quality natural grains specially prepared to provide an extremely palatable diet for all pet rabbits. These pellets are rich in minerals to enhance healthy bone development. The hard pellets also help keep teeth fit and satisfy your pet rabbit's need to chew. This diet is guaranteed 100% complete nutrition.

#6 Guest_Mr. Natural #1_*

Guest_Mr. Natural #1_*

Posted 03 May 2007 - 03:05 AM

Ingredients: Wheat middlings, Dehydrated Alfalfa Meal, Dehulled Soybean Meal, Soybean Hulls, Ground Corn, Cane Molasses, Oat Groats, Soybean Oil, Lignin Sulfonate, Salt, Calcium Carbonate, DL-Methionine, Magnesium Oxide, Choline Chloride, Vitamin A Supplement, Vitamin D3 Supplement Vitamin E Supplement, Supplement, Niacin, Calcium Pantothenate, Thiamine Mononitrate, Roboflavin Supplement, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Menadione Sodium Bisufite Complex, Folic Acid, Biotin, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Ferrous Sulfate, Manganous Oxide, Maganese Sulfate, Zinc Sulfate, Zinc Oxide, Copper Sulfate, Ethylenediamine Dihydriodide, Calcium Lodate, Sodium Selenite Cobalt Carbonate, Dried Scaccharomyces Cerevisiae Fermentation Extract, Dried Lactobacillus Acidophilus Fermentation Extract, Dried Entercoccus Faecium Fermentation Extract, Dried Aspergillus Niger Fermentation Extract, Dried Bacillus Subtliis Fermentation Extract.

I was searching the local feed stores, garden suppliers, and landscaping suppliers for something like StrawNet. I found many products that had Alfalfa in them and all the rest of the previous ingredients. I wondered if I could rinse the rabbit food. It turned into a big mess of goo, I could not squeeze out the water. It was kind of like trying to squeeze water out of pudding. I threw the pot of goo onto the compost pile on top of some spent 1-gallon milk jug style casings. Weeks later when I was shifting the pile I noticed mycelia growing on the Rabbit Food patty. No apparent Black, Green, Red or Orange mold that grows so well around here in the swamp. I thought perhaps the Rabbit Food might be contaminate resistant.
When I had some inoculate (mycelia spawned on brown rice, blended with water) and PF substrate left over, I made up some jars. I ground the Rabbit food up with a mortar and pestle. In the ratio of the PF tek 1 Rabbit Food, 1 water, 2 vermiculite.
I was again surprised when mycelia grew on the Rabbit Food PF cake. Now will it fruit? This isolate is un-tested. Next time I will do a better experiment.
The stalled Rabbit Food jar fell apart but was more colonized than was apparent from the out side of the jar.
As far as contamination. "Let the poison bubble out of the mud."

#7 Guest_Mr. Natural #1_*

Guest_Mr. Natural #1_*

Posted 08 May 2007 - 12:56 AM

A few days later, the control jars look as expected and are beginning to pin. The Rabbit Food cake was not looking very good. I added water to the top casing and core of all the cakes. 20 hours later the Rabbit Food cakes have new mycelia growth.

Attached Thumbnails

• Test Test 062.jpg
  • Test Test 058.jpg
  • Test Test 060.jpg
  • Test Test 057.jpg
  • Test Test 061.jpg
  • Test Test 055.jpg

#8 apokalypse

apokalypse

Dr. Durgs

• Expired Member
  • 1,454 posts

Posted 08 May 2007 - 01:05 AM

Maybe there's not enough 'food' as it were for the myc to fruit?

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!