Paradox
©
Fisana

Photo
- - - - -

A Bag 'o shit and some peat... now what to do?

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 insight

insight

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 824 posts

Posted 19 March 2005 - 06:20 PM

Im getting ready to go to the good old Depot to grab some supplies, one of which.... a bag of Black Cow - cow shit/compost (at least that is what the bag says). As some of you know by a similar thread I started, I decided not to go with straw as I keep reading about bad contam issues. I have been doing 60/40 verm/coir and want to try healthy crap. First, what could I mix the crap with for spawn to be added to (mostly crumble cakes and popcorn). Also, Im going to grab some peat, what kind do I get?

#2 destroy_erase_improve

destroy_erase_improve

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 2,167 posts

Posted 19 March 2005 - 09:58 PM

most bags just say peat moss
thats fine.
make sure to pasturize your poo/peat mix, id add some verm also.

other than that, spawn some corn or whatever into it and watch it grow
chia poo chia poo
oh we love the chia poo!

#3 insight

insight

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 824 posts

Posted 19 March 2005 - 10:14 PM

I thought I read in one of the threads that peat moss and the kind to be used was different? What kind of breakdown should be used for peat/crap/verm?

#4 Guest_sporeaddik_*

Guest_sporeaddik_*

Posted 19 March 2005 - 10:41 PM

What kind of breakdown should be used for peat/crap/verm?

any ratio can work well. use much more crap than peat or verm of course. Poo is the nutrition, peat and verm aerates the poo so that the mycelia can rip through it. It's more like your using poo but your just throwing in a little verm and peat.

#5 Lazlo

Lazlo

old hand

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 7,620 posts

Posted 20 March 2005 - 01:56 AM

Don' use a lot of poo. 10% is great.

#6 Guest_thafunkyone_*

Guest_thafunkyone_*

Posted 20 March 2005 - 02:20 AM

Someone told me black kow sucks...alot of sand in it and such. I got a bag and then didn't use it..its goin in the outdoor patch. Maybe try some of the other poo mixes...

#7 Guest_golly_*

Guest_golly_*

Posted 20 March 2005 - 07:59 AM

Check the ingredients on the composted poo bag , it's best to have at least a 40% manure content...Some times the texture is pretty good without having to add peatmoss...If its pure cow shiit then u normally would have to make additions to loosen up the mix...If u do add peat u need to balance the Ph with some hydrated lime..Verm or coir are good and near neutral Ph..
Seen many reports on growing with bagged manure ,,the best results appear to be from mixed blends and composted types..avoid bags that feel like wet mud...Gluk..

#8 frank_black

frank_black

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 54 posts

Posted 20 March 2005 - 11:11 AM

When you shop for peat make sure to ask for peat humus. The other stuff is sphagnum peat moss which is different.

#9 Guest_Peter Cottontail_*

Guest_Peter Cottontail_*

Posted 20 March 2005 - 12:02 PM

Spagnum Peat moss/verm is what I use for casings. It's inert so won't help your substrate. Mix the bagged cow manure with coffee grinds, coir, worm castings, etc. Just throw everything but the kitchen sink in there. Add 1/2 tablespoon hydrated lime per cup of your mix, and bring the moisture content to field consistancy, then mix 50/50 with moistened vermiculite. Pasteurize.

#10 Lazlo

Lazlo

old hand

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 7,620 posts

Posted 20 March 2005 - 02:02 PM

Crap! I didn't add that much lime to my coir/poo/coffee when pasturizing. Although I did add a heaping tablespoon to each pasturizng bath in a spaghetti sized pot. I'm a little short I think?

#11 destroy_erase_improve

destroy_erase_improve

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 2,167 posts

Posted 20 March 2005 - 02:04 PM

When you shop for peat make sure to ask for peat humus. The other stuff is sphagnum peat moss which is different.

is there a big difference between the two?
my friend has used shang peat moss with no ill effects so far

#12 insight

insight

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 824 posts

Posted 20 March 2005 - 02:35 PM

I thought there was another kind other the sphagnum. Also curious as to the difference.
Thanks for the input all.

#13 Guest_golly_*

Guest_golly_*

Posted 20 March 2005 - 03:14 PM

Sphagnum moss is a living moss which grows on top of the sphagnum peat bogs of Canada...The live moss is generally used for flower baskets and wreaths ...The peat used for soil ammendments is the "dead version" dug out from below...

#14 Lazlo

Lazlo

old hand

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 7,620 posts

Posted 20 March 2005 - 03:19 PM

Ahhhh! That's great to know. Good luck with your sheeeeot Insight!

#15 insight

insight

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 824 posts

Posted 20 March 2005 - 03:22 PM

Thanks for the info. Its liberating to be able to play with some shit!

#16 Lazlo

Lazlo

old hand

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 7,620 posts

Posted 20 March 2005 - 03:56 PM

I know i'm going to hear something about this, but when I was little I used to throw dry dog turds at the black people in my neighborhood! LOL! And no i'm not pregidous. My parents still rag me to this day about that! But now I can play with poo and not get laughed at! LOL!

#17 insight

insight

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 824 posts

Posted 20 March 2005 - 04:03 PM

LOL. Nice Looper!

#18 insight

insight

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 824 posts

Posted 20 March 2005 - 06:04 PM

Ok, just got back from the store, here we good. The shit has hit the pot. Im doing 50/50 crap/verm/lime substrate, pasteurizing as we speak for Mexi-Cubs, TX's and Buttons. After that is finished, going pasteurize 50/50 Peat/Verm casing mix to be used for other TX casing layer.

#19 Lazlo

Lazlo

old hand

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 7,620 posts

Posted 20 March 2005 - 06:05 PM

Sweet! Good luck brotha!

#20 insight

insight

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 824 posts

Posted 20 March 2005 - 06:10 PM

Thank you. Hopefully my house doesnt start smelling like a cow field. If the wife comes home and smells shit, my ass will be sleeping in the car!

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!