• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 exitium

exitium

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 21 posts

Posted 06 May 2007 - 11:08 PM

I've been pretty inactive on this forum so I thought I'd try and make up for it by posting my technique for consuming P.Torch (or San Pedro, or any mescaline containing cacti). I do an alcohol extraction using Isopropyl alcohol. I'm not really in a location where I can do an acid-base extraction, and the alcohol extraction has worked very very well for me.

I would say that you should definitely do this extraction over drinking cactus tea, and it is a way to consume all the alkaloids in the cactus while minimizing nausea and the amount of material you need to consume significantly.

Sorry about the lack of pics, I did take pictures that last time I did this but I can't seem to find the chord to connect my camera to the computer...(btw I posted this on another forum, I'm the same guy, so no need to accuse me of copying) Anyways, here we go:

Materials:
-Cactus powder
-1 quart of 91% isopropyl alcohol per 100 grams of powder (this is a really rough estimate. In any case you'll need to use a lot of IPA alcohol)
-Several large glass or HDPE (#2 plastic) containers. If you're doing a lot of powder, like a kilogram, you'll need at least one big container. I used one of these as my main extraction vessel last time I did a no-heat alcohol extraction.
-turkey baster
-Fairly Large glass pyrex baking pan
-A fan
-Tums
-Flour
-Razor blade
-Empty herbal capsules (buy them off the internet or empty the contents of an herbal supplement or something)

The following technique is for doing the alcohol extraction without heat. Using heat is pretty simple to do, and I talk about it at the bottom.

Method:
1)Put your powder in to the jar that will be the primary extraction vessel. There needs to be around twice the amount of space that the powder takes up still available in the jar.

2) Pour the IPA alcohol into the jar with the powder until the mix is soupy and when you shake the jar the powder doesn't remain clumped on the bottom.

3)Over the course of around 24 hours, shake the jar every so often and every couple hours or so add fresh IPA to the mix until the jar is nearly full. Every time you add alcohol you need to tack on an hour or so. Alternately you could, I guess, just fill up the entire jar with alcohol at the beginning (I'm not really sure if this would work just as well, and involve less effort...I'm just describing how I did it).

4)Open up the jar and let it sit still for about 20 minutes, or until all the powder has settled to the bottom and you have a jar with two layers, powder on the bottom layer and a top layer of dark-green cactus-infused alcohol.

5)Use the turkey baster to suck up the alcohol and squirt it into another jar. Be careful when there's not much alcohol left that you don't suck up too much powder, but try to get as much of the alcohol out as you can.

6)Repeat steps 2-5 until the alcohol turns clear-yellowish. This can take a fairly long time and use quite a bit of alcohol. Just be patient and keep collecting the dark alcohol until it separates clear-yellowish from the powder. At this point you've gotten all you're going to get out of the cactus powder, and you can throw it away. If you want to be unnecesarily thorough, you could strain the alcohol out of the last bit of powder using coffee filters or a section of thin t-shirt material (I like this the best for straining). You'll notice that the powder will have turned from a green color to grey.

7)Pour the cactus-infused alcohol into a glass pyrex baking pan, and put a fan blowing across the surface of the alcohol. Make sure the room you're doing this in is very, very well ventilated. Isopropyl alcohol fumes are no fun.
(You can quickly minimize the amount of alcohol you'll need to evaporate in the pan by putting your jars of alcohol into a pot of near-boiling water. Put the jar in the water while its room-temperature! And put the jar on a towel in the pot, so the heat doesn't cause the glass to crack. HDPE might melt in hot water (I don't really know), so you'll probably want to use glass at any point you're heating stuff up.)

8)Let the liquid evaporate until you're left with a sticky tar-like substance. It will take awhile for this stuff to get as dry as you want it. Once there is no visible water left, use some utensil to stir up the stuff to make sure there's no liquid hanging out anywhere in the tar. Once it seems to be pretty dry (although it will always be sticky as hell and leave oil on your hands), use a razor blade to scrape all the stuff into a pile in the center of the pan.

9) Powderize a bunch of TUMS and dump them on the pile. Mix the stuff up. Add flour if the tar is too gooey (if it's really gooey you haven't dried it out enough). Trust me on the TUMS, this is critical to help lessen nausea. And you'll still want to have tums on hand when you trip.

10) Use flour to make handling the stuff MUCH easier and stuff it all into pills.

Consume and enjoy. You can measure the final weight of the tar against the weight of the original powder to get an estimate of how much powder is in each gram of tar. Try to do this measurement before adding tums and flour. You could weight the pyrex pan without anything in it and then when it has the tar in it.

If you want to speed up this process you can do the extraction in a pot of near-boiling water, making sure (like I said before) to let your extraction vessel warm up with the water and to put a rag between the jar and the bottom of the pot to keep it from cracking. Also make sure that you're doing it on an electric stove (no open flames!) This is basically the same thing as the above method, except the time frame is shortened dramatically. The alcohol will evaporate rapidly out of the jar, so you can keep adding fresh into the mix over the course of an hour, and then you can suck out the alcohol and put it into a container. Stir the mix continually. You can't keep adding fresh IPA indefinitely to the mix as the alcohol evaporates, or the powder will start to stick together as tar starts to be deposited on the bottom. And make sure you wait a while after you've added the last bit of fresh alcohol before sucking the stuff up.

I prefer doing the extraction with heat, but there are more chances for things to screw up. Last time I did this my jar broke and dumped a kilogram of powder and a quart or so of alcohol into a pot full of water, and it took me a long time to evaporate all the water away and pumped up the final mass of the tar by a bunch.

I recommend doing an alcohol extraction rather than a cactus tea. Much better on the stomache and significantly less messy. Plus it makes it easier to measure out doses. Just be careful about the alcohol fumes and remember you can't drink Isopropyl alcohol, so make sure you do a thorough job with the evaporation.

Putting the stuff in capsules is really the best way to eat the tar. You want to do everything you can to avoid tasting the stuff. It tastes about 10x worse than the cactus tea.

Ok, that's the method. I think step three could be clarified or changed, but it's how I've done it and it's worked for me. I'm really not sure about the amount of IPA you'll need overall; the amount I gave in the materials section is a very very rough estimate. In any case, IPA is cheap and its sold everywhere.

Btw, a rough estimate for the kind of yields you can expect: I started with 1 kg of powder the last time I did this method and ended up with 245 grams of extremely potent tar. Five pills resulted in the best p.torch trip I have ever had.

#2 intruz

intruz

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 6 posts

Posted 09 May 2007 - 05:45 PM

Good information. This seems like a good compromise between the syrup and the A/B extraction. Is freezing the tar to make it easier to pill worth the time?

#3 exitium

exitium

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 21 posts

Posted 09 May 2007 - 08:04 PM

Good information. This seems like a good compromise between the syrup and the A/B extraction. Is freezing the tar to make it easier to pill worth the time?

It helps, but after refrigerating it, the stuff becomes hard as a rock and difficult to mold into small cylinders to stuff into the capsules, and once it is unfrozen enough for you to mess with it it is back to being annoyingly stick and oiley.

Flour is the best way to deal with the stickiness and oil, so once you've mixed enough flour into the tar so that it's not super sticky, you can freeze it, then put flour on your hands while messing with it. That's what I do.

e: Something about my method that is worth mentioning is that there's no need for straining, which is good because it minimizes the loss of material and makes the whole process a lot less messy.

#4 tregar

tregar

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 1,031 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 10 May 2007 - 08:13 AM

After many weak morning glory experiences (the seeds must be weak)...

A feline last night soaked 25 grams finely powdered tricho. macrogonus. in 4 oz of everclear for several hours with heavy shaking, then vacuum filtered it, collected the everclear in a 500ml vacuum filter flask with side arm, put rubber stopper on, connected the side arm to a vacuum aspirator on faucet and evaporated the everclear down to 2 oz, then consumed in dreams.

It was fairly potent, the feline has found his new ally & medicine (along with ayahuasca). Closed eye afterimages with blue and green icey geometric forms on the verge of spinning...and music sounded incredible. Active and lucid, would be great to combine with a decent CWE of morning glory (to counteract the sedation of the LSA).

Peter Webster's brand new paper on ergot & morning glory ergoline alkaloids (see issue #2): http://www.earthrite...ble-college.htm (Peter sent me the link himself)

Next time will change out the everclear everyday and let it soak for 7 days to get everything good out, then evaporate it down to 1 to 2 oz in the end; will also use 35 grams next time.

#5 golly

golly

modapotato

• Expired Member
  • 6,205 posts

Posted 10 May 2007 - 08:30 AM

Alright...Tregar scores one for the team..!!

I myself, am getting more curious about Cactus,,think it maybe much more reliable than any MG adventure...

How was the flavour/nausia factor...?

#6 tregar

tregar

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 1,031 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 10 May 2007 - 08:43 AM

Thanks for posting your technique exitium--looks nice.

Yes, finally scored! Thanks golly. Yes, the cactus was way more reliable (at least for me) than the brand seeds I have. I took a dramamine, a pepto bismol, and a tagamet 1.5 hours before...I didn't have any nausea (this time, but it was low dose)...I had also eaten 2 big meals earlier in the day..the dark green almost black everclear was quite bitter tasting to the concentration of alkaloids...I consumed it slowly over the course of about an hour. I really look forward to longer soak time (a week) and upwards from 25 grams. The cactus pieces had been sitting in a bag for 3 years too in a dark place and finally decided to break them out--and so glad I did. I watched "Lost in Translation" and laughed at the jokes and silly parts in the movie. This cactus is a real winner in my book. Scarlett is just so easy on the eyes. I also listened to music for many hours without moving it was so enjoyable--the music enhancement lasted the first few hours then slowly tapered off--a larger dosage/more soak time would be needed to extend this effect. When I closed my eyes the afterimages of bright things stayed for a long time, and then when I opened my eyes they superimposed themselves in the background. If only I had taken more and used a longer soak! I saw icey green and blue geometrics that filled my whole expanded closed eye visual space at the peak for a brief moment after looking into a bright lamp then closing his eyes. (feline has done this in the distant past with mid to high dose acid--looking into a bright light, then closing eyes to start the formation of "globes" overlayed with geometrics that spin, morph, and change colors).

However, the feline is growing a dozen MG plants in a mixture of compost, miracle grow...and looks forward to a fall harvest of "fresh" seeds...it seems like it would be more reliable to me in the future to take a CWE of "fresh" MG about 2 hours before a cactus extract, as I've only found the MG to be very mild (must be weak seeds). The synergy of a half-way decent CWE of MG with cactus would most likely be very nice (with no sedation form the LSA which is common on LSA alone).

I had tried earlier in the day to take 25 grams and boiled it for 1 hour then attempted to vacuum filter it thru a funnel with cotton balls--but not one drop would go thru! It formed a giant snot mass on the cotton. I'm familiar with the syrup making process but was just messing around to see what a quick boil would do no pressure. That's when it was 4 pm and I decided to take a shot at the everclear method since I had a bottle in the kitchen.

I had read that Dr. Heffter back in the late 1890's had made several alcoholic extractions of peyote to great effect, and read here and there about it, and decided to give it a shot (literally): http://www.heffter.o...view2/chap2.pdf
Refer to page 38 in the linked paper to see Heffter's very visual experience with an alcoholic extract of peyote. He used 95% alcohol which is what I used (190 proof everclear).

Heffter's First Self-Experiment 5 June 1897:

Rather than eating dried peyote buttons as the subjects of P&M's experiments did, Heffter followed Mitchell's procedure and made an alcoholic extract of 16.6 g of dried cactus, which he says corresponded to about 5 buttons. An alcoholic extract is the residue made by exhaustively percolating the dried material with 95% alcohol, then evaporating the alcohol under vacuum to dryness. To make this more palatable, Heffter pressed the extract tightly into a number of wafer-papers. He then consumed all of this material between 10:15 and 10:45 on the morning of 5 June 1887.

I feel an afterglow today (unless I'm still tripping?) with a feeling of love for everyone and everything pure and simple, it's the same afterglow I've felt decades ago after tripping on A the next day. It's very nice, since I've been in a funk for the past month to finally feel happy and energized, refreshed. This is powerful medicine, pure and simple. Having Indian blood in me from a century ago, I feel I've reclaimed a part of my lost heritage. My grandmother used to tell me stories of my Indian heritage but that was when I was very young and I don't remember much especially now that she is gone.

I just noticed "The Entheogen Review" volume XV, number 4 (winter solstice 2006) has a 3 page article entitled "mescaline for the masses" by Mamo Pachano that shows how to prepare a 190 proof alcohol extract.

#7 intruz

intruz

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 6 posts

Posted 10 May 2007 - 04:29 PM

When you have the stuff mixed in the alcohol has anyone tried using a microwave to evaporate faster or is the stove the best way?

#8 Scroto Baggins

Scroto Baggins

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 347 posts

Posted 10 May 2007 - 05:12 PM

When you have the stuff mixed in the alcohol has anyone tried using a microwave to evaporate faster or is the stove the best way?

I hope to god you are kidding. Seriously though alcohol is extremely flammable; don't blow yourself up and become a statistic. If you really must speed up the evaporation process set the glass evap dish into a container full of hot water and have a fan blowing across the top of it. All of this should preferably be done outside or with a fumehood.

#9 eternalfrost

eternalfrost

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 811 posts

Posted 10 May 2007 - 05:18 PM

actually the fastest way to get rid of that pesky alcohol is to just drop a lit match right in there. works like a charm :naughty:

#10 intruz

intruz

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 6 posts

Posted 10 May 2007 - 05:43 PM

Alcohol in the micro is probably a bad idea. I didn't consider the flammability since it's the microwave. Heat is heat though. Have you guys ever used the microwave to dry the cactus itself?

#11 exitium

exitium

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 21 posts

Posted 11 May 2007 - 01:38 PM

You need a lab microwave that can regulate heat and is built to get rid of fumes rapidly. So no.

Electric stoves, no open flames. Hot pads and the like. Alcohol won't combust unless you have an open flame, but don't go dumping a bunch of high percentage alcohol in an already hot pot or anything. Just use common sense.

I took a dramamine, a pepto bismol, and a tagamet 1.5 hours before...I didn't have any nausea (this time, but it was low dose)

Honestly, once I started mixing tums into the tar the nausea from the pills vanished. Not just for me, for everyone who's tried it. Only a little weed for the usual mescaline funkiness. I know this goes against the commonly held idea that if you don't do an A/B extraction then you'll be shitting your pants while curled up in a fetal position, but really I have -no- nausea with my pills.

Regarding IPA fumes when evapping...

I've had to evaporate IPA alcohol in less than ideal situations (college, single room in a small apt. with two open windows). So yeah, I've moderately poisoned myself with IPA fumes. If you're a dorm room chemist messing with IPA, here's some misc info from my experiences so you can know what to expect. Of course you should never ever subject yourself to IPA fumes if you can avoid it.

-You can't evap with one window and a fan, you need two windows. That is, unless you rig up a fume hood of some type.

-If you have to do it in a room, go somewhere else when evaping. If you're in this sort of situation then you should probably lock your door when you leave. Just saying.

-You stop smelling IPA fumes very, very quickly. Your nose stops picking it up after 5 to 10 minutes, at least in my (and another person's) experience. This is bad for obvious reasons.

-Light IPA poisoning isn't deadly, but it can do a number on your liver if you're exposed for long enough, and it makes you feel godawful. It starts as a slightly sickly feeling, which can be very subtle if you're ventilating pretty well. But, remember you stop smelling the stuff, and gases can tend to build up pretty quickly, especially if you're evaping with heat...

-If your muscles start to ache, or your lungs start to feel "Heavy", or you feel pressure behind your eyes, then you need to rethink your ventilation strategy pronto. Also get out of the room immediately.

-If you're not sure whether you're ventilating well enough and you have a friend who knows what you're up to, ask them to come in and take a whiff of the air. More often than not, they'll stumble backwards like they've been maced. That's a good indicator that you're not smelling the stuff and should do something about your ventilation.
Anyways, you want to avoid IPA fumes at all costs, light poisoning is honestly a yucky feeling and not good for you. But if you have to do it in a poor location, be smart and don't think that because you don't smell it it's not there.

#12 golly

golly

modapotato

• Expired Member
  • 6,205 posts

Posted 11 May 2007 - 08:40 PM

Thanx for the insight Exitium...I'm going to try the IPA method...
Do you think a prelimary Naptha wash of the dried powder would help reduce
some unwanted elements..?

#13 tregar

tregar

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 1,031 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 May 2007 - 11:12 AM

I'll throw a tums in there too next time, thanks for the tip.

Sounds good golly. I'll be working with this LOTS more, very enjoyable, visual, audial, spiritual & lucid. I couldn't agree more with the late D.M. Turner. Towards the end I sat outside during a windy storm and didn't feel like leaving--increased appreciation of nature, sounds, scents outside. LSA in morning glory is a 4 out of 100 on the serotonin scale according to Hofmann while acid is a 100 out of 100, so maybe that's why I was getting weak effects...perhaps fresh seeds will turn out better in the fall. I look forward to taking cacti again and visiting a nearby botanical garden. Studies with cats show that mescaline affects the serotonin and dopamine sites both. That old book "Psychedelics Encylopedia" has a really good section on cacti & experiences by many people throughout history--I prefer to read that book for the "experiences" and the big book by Ratsch (the new heavy encyclopedia of psychoactive plants) for concise information on botany, chemistry, etc. (just doesn't include as much in the way of experiences as the other).

An unexpected surprise was the ecstatic feeling felt for about 10 hours the next day (after 6 hours of sleep). It was similar to as if one has been through a "psychic bath"...elation, energy, increased sense of well being. I was expecting to have a headache or feel a hangover, but it was quite the opposite.

Don't know about the naptha wash, but maybe someone can answer your question. I once did a beginning "defat" pull of 25 grams dry cacti with reagent grade Petroleum ether, but it pulled out very little in my opinion, didn't seem worth it.

#14 exitium

exitium

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 21 posts

Posted 12 May 2007 - 01:23 PM

Thanx for the insight Exitium...I'm going to try the IPA method...
Do you think a prelimary Naptha wash of the dried powder would help reduce
some unwanted elements..?

I don't know. I've only done IPA extractions. Maybe when I graduate I'll be somewhere where I can expand my experimentation.

I will say this: one reason for doing the IPA extraction is that you do get everything from the cactus, just made significantly more potent and stuffed into smaller doses. I think there's some value in this, since its the stated aim of some people who abide by the cactus tea method. So I see the IPA extraction-into pills method as a way of getting the effects of the whole cactus while minimizing nausea and without having to taste the stuff.

Not that there aren't unwanted elements in the stuff, I looked into this awhile ago but finally came to the conclusion that pre-washing would a)not be very effective b)might negatively effect the final product. (I was looking into doing an acetone wash). But since my pills have proven to be nausea-less, the motivation to do a wash in the first has gone away. I'm happy with them as they are.

e: Also, a note about time. The IPA method (without using any heat during the extraction) is basically making a "tincture," except you're not drinking the stuff. People feel that with tinctures you need to let your material soak for long periods of time, like weeks or months. I don't know about this. There's no telling at what point in time the alcohol has been saturated with the alkaloids, and you should replace with fresh alcohol. IMO, you can't get all the alkaloids out of the cactus with one soaking in IPA, even if you let it sit there for a year. I have no idea how one would go about determining when the ideal time to switch out with fresh alcohol is.

So here's how I see it: You're making a trade off between how long you let the IPA sit with the cactus for each soak and the amount of alcohol you'll have to evaporate in the end. (This isn't that big a problem, because if you use some heat then you can evaporate alcohol really quickly.) You could switch out the used alcohol with fresh every hour, and eventually it would stop changing color, but you'd use a LOT of alcohol. I think 24 hours per soak is the sweet spot, but I could be wrong. All this of course changes when you do the extraction with heat, which speeds everything up by quite a bit.

Remember, there is a visual gauge to let you know when you're done: the alcohol stops changing color. So one could do separate soaks for 48 hours, 72 hours, etc... and see how much alcohol you end up with in the end, when the soaks stop changing color. You could get a ratio of soak time/amount of final alcohol or something. Just an idea.

#15 intruz

intruz

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 6 posts

Posted 12 May 2007 - 02:43 PM

I was thinking about how to make this method faster and use less alcohol. How about putting the extracted alcohol into a refrigerator or freezer before it has evaporated to make the mescaline less soluble in the alcohol. Then take the turkey baster and extract the alcohol from the top. You could recycle the alcohol and put it back into the container for use in further extraction and you'd also have less alcohol to evaporate. What do you think about that exitium?

#16 exitium

exitium

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 21 posts

Posted 12 May 2007 - 04:12 PM

I was thinking about how to make this method faster and use less alcohol. How about putting the extracted alcohol into a refrigerator or freezer before it has evaporated to make the mescaline less soluble in the alcohol. Then take the turkey baster and extract the alcohol from the top. You could recycle the alcohol and put it back into the container for use in further extraction and you'd also have less alcohol to evaporate. What do you think about that exitium?

If that works like you suggest then that would be a very good idea. I'll have to try that out. Minimizing the amount of alcohol is always good.

#17 tregar

tregar

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 1,031 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 May 2007 - 07:50 PM

In any case it seems the alcohol according to Shulgin gets out all the alkaloids:

Shulgin:

The tincture of peyote is an extraction of the pulverized dry plant with 70% ethanol and appears to contain all active components. This style of preparation has been employed in a number of studies (5, 6). In fact, a tincture was the form employed in the 1st recorded non-Indian report of medical utility (1886) (7).

From the 2006 Winter Entheogen Review at the end of the article mentioned earlier:

190 proof grain alcohol (95% ethanol, 5% water) intended for drinking is sold under the brand names Everclear, and others. In the USA, a number of states, including California and Nevada, prohibit the sale of 190 proof ethanol for drinking. A quick trip across the border into Mexico can provide legal access, if you declare the purchase when you return and pay any required taxes. Or a friend living in a state where it is available might consider bringing it to you. The company ALCHEMICAL SOLUTIONS, a certified organic micro-distillery located in Ashland, Oregon will sell 190 proof alcohol--for use in the production of tinctures, cosmetics, and perfumes--to any state in America for the bottle, alcohol and tobacco tax and trade bureau fee, plus any shipping and related hazardous materials transport fees, etc.

Page 121 of the article:

The preferred solvent for this recipe is 190 proof drinking ethanol, since nothing more toxic than the alcohol itself needs to be evaporated off. Do not use denatured alcohol, as its toxic additives may not completely evaporate and should not be consumed.

Whether or not that is true about the IPA I don't know, notice the word "may". In the article they ended up with 150 mL (ten tablespoons) of fresh alcohol (everclear) to create ten doses, each dose consisting of 25 grams of material. So 15mL (1 tablespoon) of everclear = 25 grams material.

It is presently unclear how long the final product will retain its potency when kept in a cool, dark place. Some number of months seems likely, and a few weeks has already been well-established. Storage in a fridge or freezer should increase the length of time that it would remain at full potency.

What they did in the article was pour off the extracted liquor into a glass baking dish and evaporated off the alcohol using a fan. Then a gooey residue remained. About 24 hours was enough time to evaporate off both the alcohol and the water. Then they added the gooey residue to an amount of everclear:

After the gooey residue is left on the baking dish, then:

TINCTURE PRODUCTION

Next you will be using a measured amount of 190 proof alcohol (15 to 30 mL) for each dosage unit you intend to create. In our case, we will be using 15 ML (one tablespoon) per 25 grams of starting material, meaning that we need 150 mL (ten tablespoons) of fresh alcohol to create ten doses.

Take the one-pint glass canning jar (which you will ultimately be storing the elixir in), add 150 ML of alcohol to it, and mark the level with a piece of masking tape to indicate the total volume. Then pour the alcohol into the glass measuring cup.

Add half of the alcohol from the measuring cup to the residue in the baking dish and dissolve it by gently stirring with an alcohol-safe spatula or other inert tool. It may take around five minutes to dissolve the residue; be patient and thorough. Using a funnel, carefully pour this into the one-pint glass canning jar that you marked with tape.

Now add a bit more of the remaining alcohol to the baking dish to wash out whatever remains, and then pour this into the one-pint glass canning jar that contains the extract. The dish should essentially be clean at this point.

This approach to redissolving is suggested because the total of the alcohol "combined with the residue" would be greater than the desired final volume if the entire 150 ML of alcohol had been added. Now you need to add just enough of the remaining alcohol to bring the total volume in the bottle containing the elixir up to the tape line that you marked earlier. Cap the bottle, shake well, and you are done. There are now ten single-tablespoon doses in the bottle.

* If it were me, I would just prepare one or two doses at a time instead of ten since we really don't know how long it will retain its potency...I was reading this article by Moxley (Webster?) who said his peyote "extract" retained potency for only a few weeks: http://www.psychedel...org/univch2.htm
The simple method I used with vacuuming it down under faucet vacuum aspirator to 1 to 2 oz everclear extract was quick and efficient, and as Rocketman has pointed out, it only takes about 4 days of soaking with shaking (changing out the everclear every day then combining the solution)--then I just quickly evaporate it down under vacuum to 1oz tincture (or you can use a fan--may take about 1 day).

Moxley:

Our peyote experiments have been a resounding success. We have sent capsules of our extract to several aficionados of psychedelic preparations, and received very positive reports comparing the natural alkaloidal blend favorably with both synthesized mescaline and other psychedelics. Institutional researchers would of course immediately dismiss our results as anecdotal and subjective, and we certainly have not troubled ourselves to do "double-blind" experiments as would be expected for "scientifically" legitimate results. The legitimacy of our results is, for better or for worse, not dependent on institutional acceptance, but upon the opinions of those whose wisdom we have come to respect. A peyote shaman, asked to perform a double-blind ceremony using our preparation, would be as correct to ridicule our idea as the institutional scientist for criticizing the lack of such protocol. We quite enjoy the eclecticism of the middle ground we have staked out for our research paradigm.

* The one significant disappointment of the peyote extract is that it is unstable. Within even one week, a 500 milligram dose is just perceptibly less potent, and within a month the potency of the dose is significantly reduced. Since the stability of the dried cactus tops or "buds" has been reported to be exceptional, a noted authority on the subject calling the buds "practically indestructible", it is obvious that the "impurities" we have removed in our process are essential to preserving psychedelic activity of the raw alkaloidal mixture. This result, combined with the necessity of processing large volumes of material to produce enough extract for even twenty or thirty doses, make any practical use of the product prohibitive. It is expensive to produce and ephemeral. In addition, we feel that any attempts to produce a stable preparation by further processing would probably nullify the advantages of the broad-spectrum alkaloidal extract principle that we have tested. We have therefore turned our attention to preparing and experimenting with extracts of the morning glory.

#18 intruz

intruz

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 6 posts

Posted 12 May 2007 - 08:15 PM

I tried the freezer thing with the alcohol and it doesn't seem to work. I only left it in for about an hour but it didn't seem like it was making a clear layer or anything. Maybe it needs to be colder or something. I was also thinking of adding some acid to make it less soluble in the alcohol. BTW how long does it take normally to evaporate all the alcohol away w/o a fan?

#19 exitium

exitium

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 21 posts

Posted 13 May 2007 - 02:42 PM

I tried the freezer thing with the alcohol and it doesn't seem to work. I only left it in for about an hour but it didn't seem like it was making a clear layer or anything. Maybe it needs to be colder or something. I was also thinking of adding some acid to make it less soluble in the alcohol. BTW how long does it take normally to evaporate all the alcohol away w/o a fan?

If you put it outside under the sun, then it would evaporate pretty quickly.

#20 JacksonApple

JacksonApple

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 47 posts

Posted 11 June 2007 - 11:02 PM

What kind of dosing do you use with your extraction? A foaf took some tar made from the equivalent of 60g of PT Powder. Is 60g too high a dose, and would 30g reduced suffice?

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!