• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#21 exitium

exitium

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 21 posts

Posted 14 June 2007 - 03:01 AM

What kind of dosing do you use with your extraction? A foaf took some tar made from the equivalent of 60g of PT Powder. Is 60g too high a dose, and would 30g reduced suffice?

Honestly it depends upon the mescaline content of your cactus, which is of course difficult to figure out.

I usually take the tar equivalent of 40-60 grams, depending upon how hard I want to trip. The time I took around 60 I certainly didn't feel that it was "too much," although it was a wild ride.

60g is certainly not a dangerous amount, though it could give be more intense then you want.

#22 JacksonApple

JacksonApple

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 47 posts

Posted 14 June 2007 - 02:44 PM

Thanks a lot, your post really helps! My friends found 60g to be truly mind-altering in every sense of the word. They probably started a little to big, but they were disillusioned by effects of 60g brewed in tea, not extracted.

The next trials are going to be done in doses of 30, 40, 50, and 60 grams to find the "sweet spot."

Thanks again!

#23 exitium

exitium

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 21 posts

Posted 15 June 2007 - 12:39 AM

I finally located the usb cord for my camera, so here are some pictures.

Around a kg of powder, ready for extractin'
DSC00339.JPG

A typical setup, but something is missing. Can you guess what it is?
DSC00341.JPG

The next two pictures show what happens after a good shake and about 20 minutes. The powder rapidly settles to the bottom.
DSC00348.JPG

DSC00349.JPG

OH SHIT DISASTER.

DSC00353.JPG

My jar broke because I didn't put a towel under it in the pot, dumping the powder and alcohol mix into the water. It took me forever to evaporate this down to a syrup. This one of the reasons to do an alcohol extraction, so you don't have to toil over a boiling pot of smelly, gooey green snot.

DSC00354.JPG

Correct procedure (Put towels under that jar!). I'm just evaporating alcohol away in this picture, before putting it in the pan.
DSC00356.JPG

The only picture I seem to have taken of the near-final product. That's a whole lot of tar, I think I ended up with around 245 grams.
DSC00357.JPG

Finally, my most recent experiment. This is all the alcohol, ready to be evaporated (from 500g). Damn that's alot of alcohol...
DSC00358.JPG

Btw, the last pic is alcohol from an extraction without using heat (just soaks and shaking for several days, adding fresh IPA, repeating till the alcohol turns fairly clear). Doing it with heat has the advantage in that the alcohol is evaporating throughout the whole process, which makes the final evaporation in the pan much faster.

#24 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 25 June 2007 - 07:16 AM

archive material

#25 JacksonApple

JacksonApple

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 47 posts

Posted 25 June 2007 - 12:53 PM

50g seems to be the standard with the extraction my friend recently did, but higher doses could be very beneficial if one is prepared and ready.

#26 deekan

deekan

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 14 posts

Posted 25 June 2007 - 02:59 PM

i am currently on day 6 of my isopropyl extraction of 50g dry, hopefully it turns out as good as planned

#27 exitium

exitium

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 21 posts

Posted 25 June 2007 - 07:49 PM

i am currently on day 6 of my isopropyl extraction of 50g dry, hopefully it turns out as good as planned

Good luck!

I would think that with 50g you could probably just start soaking the powder and shaking sporadically over half-hour or so intervals, and then replacing with fresh alcohol, and probably have it turn clear after using around a quart or two of IPA. I could be wrong though.

The reason for soaking the powder in IPA for long periods of time is the assumption that the IPA is absorbing more and more goodies over that time period, and that the longer the time period for each invidual soak means more goodies per quantity of alcohol, and so less overall IPA you'll have to evaporate in the end. You could switch out your IPA every five minutes and after awhile the alcohol would start to turn clear, but the assumption is that if you did this you'd end up with a ton of alcohol to evaporate.

This rationale could be completely bogus, of course. It could be the case that at room temperature the alcohol absorbs all its going to get within minutes. I really don't know. I've just read from various internet sources that you need to let your soaks go for 24 hours or so, but I've never read this from a scientific source. I've also read on the net that you need to soak for weeks at a time, and this is obviously wrong.

A friend with some science schooling (unlike myself) said that there shouldn't be a need for the individual soaks with fresh IPA at room temperature to be longer than a couple hours at the most, and that increasing your temperature even by just 10-20 degrees should increase the absorption tremendously. He said that if you could raise your temperature a bit and rig up some contraption that would agitate your jars continuously, then the IPA ought to absorb all its going to get fairly quickly, like an hour or so.

Being pretty high we came up with the idea of using a cooler, a neck massager, duct tape, and a light bulb. I think it could work :p

IPA is so cheap, I think next time I do this I'll perform some science experiments and figure out how much time really affects absorption at room temperature.

#28 exitium

exitium

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 21 posts

Posted 01 July 2007 - 09:59 PM

Some numbers for anyone that's interested:

Doing the IPA extraction with heat (jar in water on the stove) on 500 grams of peruvian torch powder needed roughly 48oz of IPA before the alcohol started pulling very clear. The mix was stirred whenever the powder and the alcohol appeared to have separated more than 3 inches or so. The whole process took about 5 hours, with each soak lasting about 30-45 minutes. Here's a pic of all the alcohol:

[ATTACH]55286[/ATTACH]

#29 Guest_cap_*

Guest_cap_*

Posted 02 July 2007 - 01:10 AM

all the talk about heat sources is kinda comical with a shulgin quote sittin right there,,,
pretty sure sasha uses a hot water bath....very simple to do up a ghettofied version at home
:)

#30 Guest_cap_*

Guest_cap_*

Posted 02 July 2007 - 01:12 AM

Some numbers for anyone that's interested:
Doing the IPA extraction with heat (jar in water on the stove) on 500 grams of peruvian torch powder needed roughly 48oz of IPA before the alcohol started pulling very clear. The mix was stirred whenever the powder and the alcohol appeared to have separated more than 3 inches or so. The whole process took about 5 hours, with each soak lasting about 30-45 minutes. Here's a pic of all the alcohol:
[ATTACH]55286[/ATTACH]

:cool:

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!