37 replies to this topic

#1 Kevin

Kevin

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 56 posts

Posted 08 May 2007 - 04:01 AM

Hiya all,

Ive been using foil for spore printing but Im finding it rips up when i scrape the print off. I dont like it :(

Does that happen for you guys? Would aluminium plates be a suitable substitute?

Ive used cardboard before, I like that better, i dont think its as reliably cleaned though.

Thanks guys.

#2 the_other_chap

the_other_chap

The Whelk of Reason

• Expired Member
  • 919 posts

Posted 08 May 2007 - 04:33 AM

I mostly use Tyvek.

#3 Shromadon

Shromadon

Comfortably Numb

• Expired Member
  • 160 posts

Posted 08 May 2007 - 05:55 AM

If your caps arn't monsters, then Yoplait Yogurt containers work great. They can be pc'ed and boiled. Just drop the cap in, cover top w/ foil, then dump the cap out, or poke it w/ something to pull it out. Just pour sterile water in, scrape, shake and suck.

Going to try them for myc water soon.

#4 dial8

dial8

3 Fungi Mod

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 5,767 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 May 2007 - 07:53 AM

There is a heavy duty aluminum foil you could use. It does not rip.

#5 Defiance

Defiance

Trainee

• OG VIP
  • 1,386 posts

Posted 08 May 2007 - 07:58 AM

I print mine right in a sterile 1/2pt when I'm not going to be storing them for more than a few weeks. Makes getting spore water very easy.

#6 Quine

Quine

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 163 posts

Posted 08 May 2007 - 08:55 AM

Have you read hippie's method? He drops the foil into a baggie, puts in his water, seals it, then rubs the foil around. No scraping, no tears, all the spores are washed off into the water. Easy, huh?

#7 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 08 May 2007 - 08:58 AM

Have you read hippie's method? He drops the foil into a baggie, puts in his water, seals it, then rubs the foil around. No scraping, no tears, all the spores are washed off into the water. Easy, huh?

yeah,
don't scrape
rub.

#8 PsychoDrogue

PsychoDrogue

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 2,258 posts

Posted 08 May 2007 - 10:11 AM

you can of course do this with tyvek too. and the post office will send you more than you'll ever need for free.

When I finish making the print i put it straight into a baggy for storage and let it sit til i need it. no need to unfold anything when the time comes. I was told ziplocks are sterile new, and I haven't had contam issues with any of my own clean prints, so seems to be a great time saver. I'd be weary about prints you aren't sure about being clean though. You dump a bunch of water in there and the whole thing contams. no opportunity to pick a different portion of the print.

#9 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 08 May 2007 - 10:14 AM

you lose a great deal of spores into the tyvek fabric
that simply won't come out,
wasteful, inefficient.

i don't even use tyvek ones i get in trades ,
i just give them away
:thumbdown:

#10 PsychoDrogue

PsychoDrogue

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 2,258 posts

Posted 08 May 2007 - 10:20 AM

point taken. but when your using an entire print like that I dont see any repercussions from losing what is probably less than 1-5% of the available spores. Works for me anyhow.

My gf always drags my "mushroom only" foil into the kitchen for whatever she needs, whereas my tyvek is left alone in a clean drawer. Makes me feel safer from contams.

#11 SWIM

SWIM

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 172 posts

Posted 08 May 2007 - 11:27 AM

I just print to the inside surface of a (snack-size) ziplock. Not the most artistic method - they tend to smear, but very simple. Once the spores drop I flip the bag over so the print is on top, and drop the cap out into the dessicator. When the time comes to make a syringe, just oopen the zip enough to squirt in sterile water, seal, rub, and open enough to get the needle in and suck it up.

#12 Guest_Stroph_*

Guest_Stroph_*

Posted 08 May 2007 - 11:36 AM

I prefer to scrape off of heavy duty foil. IMO, If you use the baggie method, you're putting an entire print in one syringe. Yes, your germination will be much better, but you also have hundreds of substrains. I guess if you have isolated already, then it would be fine.

#13 PsychoDrogue

PsychoDrogue

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 2,258 posts

Posted 08 May 2007 - 11:41 AM

you can easily fill the bag with extra water and fill multiple syringes at once. of course they are all the same strain, but if you use that many why not. just store them in a dark spot. I rarely do this though. I guess you could consider this a mass syringe method.

#14 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 08 May 2007 - 11:41 AM

If you use the baggie method, you're putting an entire print in one syringe.

only if you don't dilute further,
but that's a waste too.

i just take that dark syringe and fire it
into a pint jar of sterile water
and turn 1 into 20-30.
see http://mycotopia.net...ead.php?t=20626
http://mycotopia.net...77&d=1172777654

#15 Guest_Stroph_*

Guest_Stroph_*

Posted 08 May 2007 - 12:08 PM

Well, there ya go, Hip. That's a great idea.

#16 Odin 13

Odin 13

Exciteable Boy!

• Expired Member
  • 136 posts

Posted 08 May 2007 - 06:18 PM

Glass works great for me. I cut it into 2" squares & tape another on top when the print is finished. You can clean the glass very easily, & scrape off spores w/ a razor blade.

#17 fluffyshapes

fluffyshapes

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 33 posts

Posted 08 May 2007 - 06:36 PM

i've used acetate before with success... it makes it easy when you're printing mushrooms you're unsure about, since the clear transparency can be placed on top of either a light or dark surface... and it doesn't wrinkle :)

#18 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 08 May 2007 - 06:38 PM

i hate glass slides,
very hard to un-do tape
while wearing gloves,
and everything is slick from disinfectant.
in fact i hate ANYTHING that is
folded or taped shut
as it is hard to use gloved.

#19 panic

panic

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 248 posts

Posted 08 May 2007 - 06:59 PM

i dunno, i've just never heard foaf complaining about having to use a dark syringe. ;) actually, the baggie idea is one i'm gonna suggest to him.

#20 Quine

Quine

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 163 posts

Posted 08 May 2007 - 07:15 PM

Given how many spores are in one tiny scrape, you are stilll getting hundreds of substrains!

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!