Fisana

- - - - -

Ion generator question?

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_mr._*

Guest_mr._*

Posted 14 February 2005 - 07:09 PM

I got a good question , if ion generators kill spores ,virus , contaminents in the air and ect.... you can't use it in your glove box when doing a spore syringe are take prints in the same room with the ion generator, right or wrong!
How do you know the strenth or power of a ion generator is it by the watts ,are what ion generator specifications should i look for my
12' x 10' grow room.

Best wishes ! Allways ...........//////////

#2 Guest_stephen_*

Guest_stephen_*

Posted 14 February 2005 - 07:23 PM

The Dual Element Ion Generator like FMRC sells does not kill particles, it just gathers them up and sticks them to the positive base of the unit. This gets them out of the air so that you have clean air. Only spores that would get into the air would be collected. Perhaps someone else can post the information I have posted here, or the link here. If not, I'll put it back up again. The units are now $71.00 each. No other charges unless you are overseas. slp/fmrc

#3 Guest_the_*

Guest_the_*

Posted 14 February 2005 - 07:23 PM

If Ion generators did all that we wouldn't need flowhoods.

In response to the first post, not knockin' mr Peele's products.

(Message edited by nicholas on February 15, 2005)

#4 Guest_the_*

Guest_the_*

Posted 14 February 2005 - 07:54 PM

Thanks for the info !Stephen .
I new it ,i just got mixed up in my head,

#5 Guest_stephen_*

Guest_stephen_*

Posted 15 February 2005 - 08:42 AM

The Dual Element Ion Generator that FMRC sells does do all that, and we haven't had a flow hood in our labs now for 20 years. All customers have been happy. No one has sent their unit back. Read the said past posts..........slp/fmrc

#6 Guest_the_*

Guest_the_*

Posted 15 February 2005 - 11:01 AM

No no, my post was in response to the first post, saying the Ion Generator doesn't kill spores, etc.

Maybe I have to learn to stop typing when I'm out of my skull on cough syrup.

#7 sadsoul

sadsoul

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 199 posts

Posted 17 February 2005 - 08:22 PM

[B]Hello guys !
I posted this thread Too.........../////////////

Best wishes!.................../////////////////

#8 destroy_erase_improve

destroy_erase_improve

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 2,167 posts

Posted 21 February 2005 - 10:35 AM

stephen. i am interested in your generator. but i can only afford one right now. i would like to do agar work and i see you dont use flowhoods anymore. only the generator. i read an old thread that said you had two generators going to do your agar work, one at the door and one in the area. since i will only have one, will it be enough to do agar work successfully? and if so, how do you propose i set it up. does it HAVE to be in a glovebox? can i just turn a tub on its side and have one open faced side in front of me, allowing me to work with more freedom?

ty for your time and any explanations you may give.

#9 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 21 February 2005 - 10:46 AM

read this-
http://mycotopia.net...html?1107790992

#10 destroy_erase_improve

destroy_erase_improve

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 2,167 posts

Posted 21 February 2005 - 11:27 AM

thx
when working with the generator, im assuming you should treat it like a flowhood, but reversed. meaning. with a flowhood you keep your hands and body behind the flow of the air and the petri dishes, because if you put them between the flow, some contams could be blown off your skin and into the dishes.

so being as the generator PULLS contams towards it, you would work with your body parts between the dishes and pull. so anything pulled off your body would not have a chance to pull over the dishes and into them.

does this make sense to anyone? or is it really not a big issue as far as hand and arm placement?

*one other question
i like the arc idea that golly used, what happens if you dont ground the arc btw? and if the screw from the outlet is far away (using an extension cord to plug the generator in , to reach the work area), what else can be used as a ground source?
thanks for your answers guys :)

#11 Guest_golly_*

Guest_golly_*

Posted 21 February 2005 - 01:11 PM

I no longer use the grounded arch , as it collected alot of particals which were hard to clean [sticky grime].. I did not like the idea of this hanging over the work area..
I now use a large clear inverted tub as a glove box with the Ion generator positioned by the two access holes, so that contams are drawn to the ion base before they reach the work zone...I would say u def want the ion to be between you and the culture -never behind it...Gluk

#12 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 21 February 2005 - 01:29 PM

I now use a large clear inverted tub as a glove box with the Ion generator positioned by the two access holes, so that contams are drawn to the ion base before they reach the work zone

so how's that working out for ya ?
happy ?

#13 destroy_erase_improve

destroy_erase_improve

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 2,167 posts

Posted 21 February 2005 - 01:29 PM

thats cool to know. as someone who has already experimented with exactly what i am thinking about trying, it is good to hear it from the source himself/herself. i was thinking about just sitting the tub on its side, so i could seee what im doing better. ive found the clear tubs to be a lil difficult to see through. especially if one is trying to do precise cuts and pours.

am i wrong to assume that you are still using the generator for agar and G2G work? and if so, hows that treating you?

#14 Guest_golly_*

Guest_golly_*

Posted 21 February 2005 - 04:18 PM

Well it's easy to clean and simple to use, the visability is good enough for clone work but i could understand wanting a crystal clear view for agar...I think the more u can reduce air currents around the operation the better -a wide open tub maybe a gamble with agar.
If i decided to improve the viewing ,i would glue on a glass or plastic window after cutting out a section.
There is a hook in the ceiling with a chain so i can just lift the tub and hang it in the air for moving stuff in and out...thats what its all about...

#15 destroy_erase_improve

destroy_erase_improve

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 2,167 posts

Posted 21 February 2005 - 04:42 PM

you have a whole chain pully system. thats pretty cool :p . you should take a picture of that setup!

im not sure from your answer if you still do agar work, but your results have prompted me to try the ion generator out for edibles. the way i see it is the worst that happens is i have clean air in my room. :)

#16 Guest_golly_*

Guest_golly_*

Posted 21 February 2005 - 05:32 PM

The tub only weighs a pound so there's no pully -just lift n hook...Also i quit running the Ion 24/7 cause particals start accumulating on nearby walls /objects .U especially want to keep it away from optical disc reading devices [had to take apart my dvd player and clean the goop off]....It's still a great lil device though, i'm happy.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!