• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 PsychoDrogue

PsychoDrogue

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 2,258 posts

Posted 17 May 2007 - 02:12 AM

What do you use for bedding in your cage. the whole newspaper thing is pretty lame when you see how much these guys like to burrow. I originally used peat moss, then switched to sand because the peat required a lot more care... but the toad clearly enjoyed the peat more. so now i'm back to peat... what other ideas/things have you used?

http://mycotopia.net...=1&d=1179385912

Attached Thumbnails

• DSC00614.JPG

#2 Bobcat

Bobcat

Selah!

• Expired Member
  • 3,573 posts

Posted 17 May 2007 - 10:17 AM

Coir would work. A mix of things has always been my fav for large amphibians, though. Like some coir (or in your case peat) and coir chips and sand and "clean" dirt (instead of the sand- like the bagged topsoil you can get at places like lowes). Something they can dig in easily that will stay moist, but also something they can hop around on without it being like a spongey cloudy trampoline (???) experience.

#3 reefer

reefer

Mod of the Ocean

• Expired Member
  • 1,050 posts

Posted 17 May 2007 - 10:53 AM

Coir is an excellent substrate for amphibians. I've used it for all of mine. I had a Giant Bufo Marinus for about a year. (he lives at the zoo now)

Give him a nice thick layer that he can burrow in, and keep it moist but not wet. (field capacity)

#4 CoyoteMesc

CoyoteMesc

howling mad

• Expired Member
  • 4,313 posts

Posted 17 May 2007 - 12:30 PM

I have never tried coir(I may next cleaning)
As of now Im using wood chips(small about the size of dime and about 1/4" thick) The toad seems to love it and can burrow in it easily.
She can eat right off the bedding floor and doesn't swallow any of the chips either. Which is a plus on the digestive system.
I also like the fact that I can dump the chips, fill it back up with fresh. Then I can wash, soak, then dry and reuse.
My toad excretes most of her waste in the water bowl so clean up is easy and saves the bedding.
Some, Im sure goes down into the bedding bud not as much. Leaving clean up fewer and further between.

#5 reefer

reefer

Mod of the Ocean

• Expired Member
  • 1,050 posts

Posted 17 May 2007 - 12:43 PM

She can eat right off the bedding floor and doesn't swallow any of the chips either. Which is a plus on the digestive system.

Thats good that your toad has got the hang of this. I've seen a few toads/frogs die because of impactions caused by bark chips.

#6 CoyoteMesc

CoyoteMesc

howling mad

• Expired Member
  • 4,313 posts

Posted 17 May 2007 - 01:58 PM

she is even thawed mice too :D

I try to prevent her from eating the crickets or worms down there for that reason. But the mice, she has no problems.

#7 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 24 May 2007 - 09:23 PM

great pic!

#8 hiimt0ny

hiimt0ny

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 104 posts

Posted 24 May 2007 - 10:08 PM

cypress mulch is pretty nice to use... they love it.

#9 shadowechos

shadowechos

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 113 posts

Posted 30 May 2007 - 01:44 PM

Hi Folks,
The toads sound very interesting...I thought of getting one, but I wonder:
Is the 5-Meo trip as much "fun" as the toads are?

#10 CoyoteMesc

CoyoteMesc

howling mad

• Expired Member
  • 4,313 posts

Posted 30 May 2007 - 03:51 PM

no,
nothing "fun" about it by my definition...

#11 shadowechos

shadowechos

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 113 posts

Posted 30 May 2007 - 05:20 PM

no,
nothing "fun" about it by my definition...

CoyoteMesc what word(s) would you used

#12 PsychoDrogue

PsychoDrogue

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 2,258 posts

Posted 30 May 2007 - 05:40 PM

CoyoteMesc what word(s) would you used

i wouldn't consider it fun either. its like a near death experience. and you really feel near death. at least for a few seconds. that was on my largest and last dose.

Lower doses did prove amusing, but still not fun. the rush is insane though. I've never experienced anything like it.

#13 CoyoteMesc

CoyoteMesc

howling mad

• Expired Member
  • 4,313 posts

Posted 30 May 2007 - 07:40 PM

mentally disabled, hot, sweaty, confused, scared,
noid, alone, blind with visual distortion, unable to focus, stripped, naked, dumb, scattered thoughts, fear, etc....but amusing after math...
hard to say in words really. ;)

#14 Mermaidia

Mermaidia

Sober Sister

• Expired Member
  • 4,173 posts

Posted 30 May 2007 - 08:04 PM

Just after eating a fuzzy...

http://mycotopia.net...32&d=1180573071

http://mycotopia.net...33&d=1180573071

Attached Thumbnails

• LP 006.JPG
  • LP 005.JPG

#15 shadowechos

shadowechos

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 113 posts

Posted 30 May 2007 - 11:50 PM

Just after eating a fuzzy...

http://mycotopia.net...32&d=1180573071

now that's a well fed toad ! ! Definitely a big mousefull--
so seems like the toads are more fun...
foaf thought he might want to experience ND with Ketamine, back when it was still legal--would have to say it was more of an experience of insanity,
all points of reference gone--back in the day of research chems, was in powder form...so who knows...anyway looking back it was a "learning experience"...not sure I need to repeat it with a new chemical...math class
must be terrible for "noid" to be a relife

#16 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 31 May 2007 - 08:01 AM

http://mycotopia.net...=1&d=1179385912

pic o' the month nominee
:bow:

#17 desertgnomad

desertgnomad

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 6 posts

Posted 31 May 2007 - 11:10 PM

I miss my toad, Bella, so much. ahhhhhh sigh. I would usually give her a few different areas to loaf around in... a small dish full of water that she stayed in a lot, and crapped in a lot, but it was easy to clean, a few shelters (pot and log pictured), and a corner of big slabs of oak tree bark and a bunch of plain dirt. The big chunks weren't too big so she could still burrow under them. she seemed to like it. I'm not sure why, I guess for decoration, I had some smooth rocks in a corner. but it was stupid in a glass tank because bufos get busy at night and the clanking is unbearable. I took them out eventually because I think they hurt her feet. anyway, pictured is her eating a live mousey and a tree frog. strangely she wouldn't eat another toad. yes I'm a sick bastard

Attached Thumbnails

• 100_0367.jpg
  • 100_0158.jpg
  • 100_0155.jpg

#18 desertgnomad

desertgnomad

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 6 posts

Posted 31 May 2007 - 11:11 PM

dont worry, she's had three legs since birth. and she's in the hands of a loving owner.

#19 PsychoDrogue

PsychoDrogue

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 2,258 posts

Posted 01 June 2007 - 12:41 AM

pic o' the month nominee
:bow:

thanks hip :)

if it wins i'll make him a blue ribbon for his cage. lol. first place @ mycotopia pic o' the month. lol.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!