• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 celticdragon

celticdragon

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 42 posts

Posted 13 May 2007 - 07:49 AM

This is my first attempt at a grow log so please be patient. This is an awsome community - and a big thanks to all of you who share your experiences to make mine a possibility. Im not sure If I have done pictures correctly - still playing around with this function!
FOAF prepared 9 x 250ml plastic jars with air filter lids that he found from a UK lab supplier at £15 for 20. Finding appropriate jars is difficult over here!! He found a pressure cooker, two glass aquariums, two air pumps, a coffee grinder some poly fill, silicone sealant and some home brewing disinfectant; all for FREE from freecycle.org - Freecycle is an amazing forum for findin all kinds of "unwanted" goods in the community!
He followed the classic PF Tek using Organic Brown rice from a local health food store ground to flour in the coffee grinder and J Arthur Bowers Horticultural Grade Vermiculite which He got from the local B&Q (£5 for 100L).
He taped the holes, wrapped the tops in a double layer of foil then Pressure cooked for 30 mins, at 15psi. He had to do this in 2 batches as his PC is not so big. After allowing to cool to room temp he innoculated with a MexiPAL 12ml spore syringe on 04/21
He removed tape and incubated in an airing cupboard on a cardboard sheet to insulate from the HW cylinder at between 75 and 83F. He saw first growth in the after 2 1/2 days (04/23). and after 9 days three of the jars were at about this stage and the rest at various stages behind.

It is now 3 weeks and 1 day after innoculation and I have three jars that are nearly fully colonised. I am getting ready to birth them and have a few questions before I do.

Attached Thumbnails

• 9days.jpg
  • full3.jpg
  • PrePC1.jpg

#2 celticdragon

celticdragon

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 42 posts

Posted 13 May 2007 - 08:02 AM

One of the cakes has a triangular patch that has not colonised yet. There is thick mycelium all over the top of the cake .
Condensation hides it but hopefully you can see the two lips that converge like a zipper opening. Is this a problem - I read somewhere that this could be due to contam.
The Mycelium over the top of the cake is thick and fuzzy. The same is true down the innoculation points of the other cakes as well.
I also have been a bit concerned about condensation. I turned the cakes upsidedown three days ago, there is now about 3mm space at the top/bottom of the cake. There is a slight bluing on parts of the cake on the side of some of the jars where there was a lot of water. Is this OK?
I started exposure to light 4 days ago at around 80% colonisation although all jars have been examined at least once a day and had light exposure from the begining. When should I start to see pinning invitro and then when after then should I birth?
I am planning a perlite humidified fruiting chamber made with an old glass aquarium I aquired. I am contemplating a timed computer fan aircirculation setup.

Attached Thumbnails

• full4.jpg

#3 Guest_vinz_*

Guest_vinz_*

Posted 13 May 2007 - 08:04 AM

nice!
cool containers!
good luck!

#4 Boylobster

Boylobster

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 135 posts

Posted 13 May 2007 - 07:21 PM

All that gear fo' free? Fo' *real*??? Shiiiiiiiiit...... Just curious - what strain?

#5 celticdragon

celticdragon

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 42 posts

Posted 13 May 2007 - 07:24 PM

Strain: Mex Palenque

You should check out: http://www.freecycle.org/

There will be one for your local area / city. You would be amazed what people are giving away. FOAF off to get straw and horse manure tomorrow

#6 lovesshrooms

lovesshrooms

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 65 posts

Posted 14 May 2007 - 10:47 AM

Its good to see more of us from the uk on here. Looks good does your lab supplier have a web address? Good luck.

#7 implee

implee

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 16 posts

Posted 15 May 2007 - 08:55 PM

Looks cool

#8 celticdragon

celticdragon

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 42 posts

Posted 16 May 2007 - 08:31 AM

Verm layer from two of the cakes, DEC using info from fanaticus and placed in terrarium.

After 20 mins the cakes turn very very blue! In 36 hours there was no change - maybe even darker.

A perlite humidification is used with bleach water could the bluing be down to:

- contact bruising
- too much bleach?
- dehydrated cakes?
- contam?

I checked the blue on several spots with a paper towel and it does not clean up so I was thinking to discount contam at this stage. Also bruising to this extent seems unlikely?

I removed the DE casing, bleach dunked via info in the vaults for ten minuted and have now performed a dunk in the fridge with distilled water. When I removed the casing the areas covered by it were nice and white which led me to think it could be either too much bleach or dehydration during incubation?

I have cleaned the FC replacing half of the perlite, and adding fresh water. So the smell of bleach is only feint.

Am I working on the right lines here??

I did not take pictures before dunk - sorry!

CD

#9 celticdragon

celticdragon

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 42 posts

Posted 19 May 2007 - 11:57 AM

I just removed one of the cakes from the FC as it had (from my perspective as a newbie) some impressive fuzzy white growth I wanted to photograph. Then again - everything I manage to do correctly at this stage I am proud of.

On closer inspection of my other cakes I find I also have my first pins!! Only two so far but still enough to get excited about.

The two cakes I took out to photograph I was a bit worried about when I birthed them 5 days ago. I DC'd them and placed them in the chamber. Within 30 minutes they had turned very very blue!!

I ruled out excessive bruising - there was way too much of it. The sudden spread of colour seemed to rule out contam and testing with a damp towel as instructed in other Tek's did not shift it. I think probably, I had too much bleach in the perlite layer - there was a strong smell of chlorine!!

I bleach dunked the two cakes for 15 minutes, rinsed and clean water dunked for 12 hours. Re-cased and placed back in the FC. The blue faded within 2 days and you can see from the pictures below, that they have made a very good recovery. I am learning very slowly!

I also removed half of the perlite and most of the water from the FC, replaced with fresh Perlite and sterilized water.

The cake with pins was birthed 3 days ago. Temp 60 - 75. Fanning 4 - 5 times a day. Humidity: 95 - 100, 2.5 inches perlite No way to increase temp in this grow.

I'm going to keep up tthe fanning, watch some twin peaks and hope for a good flush.

6 more jars colonising with Tapalpa or PESA LC (forgot to label the jars and one syringe failed). They were noc'd on 05/10 and are between 70% and 90% colonised. Will birth half with these and would like to 'play' with the other three. Any suggestions?

Again many thanks to all at 'topia for the help, TEKs and guidance.:bow:

Attached Thumbnails

• MexPAL50.JPG
  • MexPAL48.JPG
  • MexPAL47.JPG
  • MexPAL45.JPG
  • MexPAL44.JPG
  • MexPAL43.JPG
  • MexPAL40.JPG
  • MexPAL36.JPG

#10 Sunstar

Sunstar

Gazer of the innerself

• Expired Member
  • 2,031 posts

Posted 19 May 2007 - 12:04 PM

nice job Celticdragon:greenboun:dance::greenboun:greenboun:headbang::dance::greenboun:teeth::eusa_danc:eusa_clap

#11 joey_megabucks

joey_megabucks

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 747 posts

Posted 19 May 2007 - 12:39 PM

yay :dance:

#12 gizmoziz

gizmoziz

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 15 posts

Posted 20 May 2007 - 02:42 PM

those r some nice looking cakes bro:bow:

#13 lovesshrooms

lovesshrooms

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 65 posts

Posted 21 May 2007 - 10:40 AM

Nice cakes way to go. Good luck.

#14 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 21 May 2007 - 10:46 AM

would like to 'play' with the other three. Any suggestions?

> sandbag <

#15 shroom_seeker

shroom_seeker

Still seeking...

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 3,612 posts

Posted 21 May 2007 - 12:25 PM

Pins, yipee! :headbang::dance::dance::dance::cacti:

#16 celticdragon

celticdragon

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 42 posts

Posted 22 May 2007 - 02:57 AM

Cheers guys!

I now have lots of pins on all three cakes - some nice looking clusters too!:rasta::headbang:

Will post more pictures when the first flush comes through for me.

Have just found some good old horse manure and some coir blocks - just need to find suitable bags for sandbags now.

Thanks for the encouragement!!:bow:

#17 celticdragon

celticdragon

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 42 posts

Posted 22 May 2007 - 04:07 PM

I thought I would post an update on how the cakes are doing.

About a week in the FC so far. Lots of pins on all three cakes and mushrooms begining to develop.

I had a few that reached 1 - 2 inches and broke their veils with tiny caps so I picked them and set them in a dryer. Are these aborts or just little shrooms.

6 cakes at 100% in incubator and have started light exposure for 6 -8 hours a day. Will birth sometime early next week - tr to get some pins invitro first!

2MexPAL71.jpg

Attached Thumbnails

• 2MexPAL73.jpg
  • 2MexPAL66.jpg
  • 2MexPAL69.jpg
  • 2MexPAL61.jpg
  • 2MexPAL56.jpg
  • 2MexPAL59.jpg
  • 2MexPAL51.jpg
  • 2MexPAL53.jpg
  • 2MexPAL60.jpg

#18 python