• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#1 papa smurf

papa smurf

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 15 posts

Posted 21 March 2005 - 01:55 PM

i was wondering about it i mean cows eat grass to grow and grass grows shrooms :rolleyes: and cows drink milk to grow. so can milk grow shrooms too. i was thinking of this as i was looking at the sour milk i spat in the sink. (dont you just hate that ) i had a few ideas. just plain milk in a jar pced. sour milk to the point of semi gel like really pc ed 4 times over a few days.
or adding it to card board fluff i was thinking if it was sour it would have broke down alot of the harder to digest stuff. now if you think it is worth a try let me hear it. now if you dont i want to know why. if you tryed anything with milk lets hear about it

#2 Lazlo

Lazlo

old hand

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 7,620 posts

Posted 21 March 2005 - 02:06 PM

I've used soy milk before, but not regular milk. I had limited success with it. But then again I used it for dunks. A lot of contam probs for sure.

#3 insight

insight

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 824 posts

Posted 21 March 2005 - 02:24 PM

the_other_chap mentioned something abuot trying sour milk before, let me see if I could find it.

#4 vrooota

vrooota

Onamonapia

• Free Member
  • 677 posts

Posted 21 March 2005 - 02:26 PM

too much fat prolly

#5 insight

insight

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 824 posts

Posted 21 March 2005 - 02:31 PM

I was close. He mention in a thread I had started regarding bacteria on your hands, he had tried breathing into sour milk jugs. See below.

At the place I used to work, we used to breathe into nearly empty milk bottles and leave them on a windowsill. The best ones completely filled the bottle with assorted moulds!

Not something I'd try these days, but it was fun then.

#6 vrooota

vrooota

Onamonapia

• Free Member
  • 677 posts

Posted 21 March 2005 - 02:36 PM

I want to see shrooms growing out of cow tits so spawn that mudder udder
hehe I'm ridiculous :)

#7 Guest_pissybee_*

Guest_pissybee_*

Posted 21 March 2005 - 02:51 PM

Milk is only pasteurized isn't it? I heard that if you try to drink a gallon of milk in an hour or less, it has too much bacteria in it and you will definitely puke, doesn't sound like something I want to put my cakes in, LOL...

#8 papa smurf

papa smurf

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 15 posts

Posted 21 March 2005 - 05:44 PM

if we let it sour and microwave then pc it a few times that would get rid of the fats but if all that other stuff can live in it why not mushrooms we could even add a bit of peroxied

#9 drumdidly

drumdidly

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 137 posts

Posted 21 March 2005 - 06:18 PM

haha take that sour milk and make some waffles
mmm

if you overheat the milk it will curdle and you will get yogurt, right?

#10 destroy_erase_improve

destroy_erase_improve

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 2,167 posts

Posted 21 March 2005 - 06:24 PM

papashroom
are you speaking in terms of adding it as a substitute for the water ratio in brf jars?
i dont know where the milk would be added.
sounds interesting
thats why im asking

#11 papa smurf

papa smurf

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 15 posts

Posted 22 March 2005 - 11:57 AM

that would be one way one of doing things. i tryed also was puting card board in a blender. mix it with water blend it up real good then dry it in the oven. put it in on a sheet with the door open.let it dry then brake it up real good then i put it in to a coffee grinder to fluff it up. it did a way beter job then the blender on dry stuff. now it is nice and fluffy but not much food so i added karo by laying it back out on the sheet and spraying it with a water karo mix in a spray bottle. (i could change that last part to milk) then i jared it up and did the whole pc thing. now i got kinda mad cas no matter what i did i got way too many contams. yes i tryed the bfr normal rice tek i even went to the point of doing everything in the glove box even befor the pc thinking i must have had somethign really bad in my house that really did not want to die. so i ruled out just about all of it. then i thought to my self what is my weakst link it was my pc i got from wallmart. so made up a control that all up untill now grew somthing most of the time and then my last bit of spores into three half full small corn jars and i pushed my pc to the limits what do you know i killed the pc but nothing grew in my control and the stuff i allways cry wen got eaten by watever else was in the jar was all that was there i am leting it grow out now i have two pins the size of a pepper corn it has been a week or two but i dont think i had enuff media but hey if it works it works i am sending money to the fsre (free spore ring europe) in case i cant get prints from what i have it being my first print and all. the rest of my money is being saved up for the All-American Sterilizers 1925X Sterilizer http://www.sporework.../1925X_FULL.jpg YOU ARE "NOT" THE WEAKEST LINK

#12 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 22 March 2005 - 12:25 PM

dry powdered nonfat milk is a decent additive
but avoid liquid milk, esp. soured...

#13 viraljimmy

viraljimmy

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 452 posts

Posted 23 March 2005 - 08:54 AM

dry powdered nonfat milk is a decent additive
but avoid liquid milk, esp. soured...

Would that be recommended for BRF mix cakes?
Maybe a little.

#14 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 23 March 2005 - 09:10 AM

you could add about a tablespoon

#15 vitamin_d_added

vitamin_d_added

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 43 posts

Posted 12 January 2006 - 01:34 PM

Milk is only pasteurized isn't it? I heard that if you try to drink a gallon of milk in an hour or less, it has too much bacteria in it and you will definitely puke, doesn't sound like something I want to put my cakes in, LOL...

Been There, Done That. A gallon of milk won't make you puke (assuming you can hold a gallon of liquid of any discription)

And I have had very LIMITED success with milk additives. Dry milk is good for PF-Style cakes, I would add slightly less than hippie suggested, around 1-1/2 tsp. Rehydrated DRY milk can also be used as a dunk. Just be sure to rinse well and maybe consider a bleach dunk ( thanks hip :) ).

IME Milk, of any kind, offers no benefit to cased grains/bulk substrates.

Over all MILK IS A BIG WASTE OF TIME. Yes it will improve yeilds, but not enough to make it worth-while. And occasionally (with high addition rates) it can make ones grow space take on a sort of "yogurty" smell. Not a good sign.

#16 max

max

canadian

• Banned Member
  • 1,084 posts

Posted 13 January 2006 - 11:39 AM

Mushrooms are 90% water...not milk! That sounds about as stupid as using beer...

#17 Invitro

Invitro

Don Vitro

• Free Member
  • 330 posts

Posted 13 January 2006 - 12:07 PM

And by the way cows only drink water , only calfs drink milk :-)
  • Om shanti likes this

#18 mushit

mushit

Shit Lover

• OG VIP
  • 2,164 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 January 2006 - 12:42 PM

Yes, and they eat grass. Which eventually grows into straw..........................................

#19 Lazlo

Lazlo

old hand

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 7,620 posts

Posted 13 January 2006 - 03:44 PM

Has anyone ever attempted to use liquid whole milk for cubensis growing? In place of H20 for cakes?

Just curious because of the Tryptophan content in milk....

#20 dt_prodigy

dt_prodigy

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 0 posts

Posted 14 December 2006 - 08:18 PM

a little bit off topic, but milk helps your liver a lot, so if you ate too much mushrooms last night or your stomach is having hard time digesting them, drink some milk, it DOES help.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!