• Please log in to reply
80 replies to this topic

#1 the jesus

the jesus

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 2,583 posts

Posted 22 May 2007 - 02:07 PM

This redboy is just a big ball, no cap or familiar shape, just a blob. There seems to be a bit of rosecomb? maybe on the big one too. Add in the two on top that are very light in color and this is one weird lookin' cake. The only chemicals ever used near this grow was lysol on the table before innocculation. I wonder if some found its way into the jar somehow.

http://mycotopia.net...89&d=1179860451

http://mycotopia.net...90&d=1179860451

http://mycotopia.net...91&d=1179860451

Attached Thumbnails

• DSC00394.jpg
  • DSC00396.jpg
  • DSC00395.jpg

#2 chimp

chimp

Space Lord Modulator

• Expired Member
  • 5,911 posts

Posted 22 May 2007 - 02:20 PM

Looks like it may have elephantitus.:D

#3 dial8

dial8

3 Fungi Mod

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 5,767 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 22 May 2007 - 05:48 PM

Could possibly be caused by verticillium or a bacterial contamination.

#4 Theytellmethegootch

Theytellmethegootch

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 265 posts

Posted 22 May 2007 - 05:58 PM

Weird shit dude...

Still edible though right?

#5 Guest_jeetered76_*

Guest_jeetered76_*

Posted 22 May 2007 - 06:00 PM

lysol disrupts growth, and causes mutations, but they are not genetic mutations, just disrupted, i don't use lysol anymore, and have since quit getting rosecomb, and blobshroors like that.

#6 dial8

dial8

3 Fungi Mod

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 5,767 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 22 May 2007 - 07:58 PM

Should still be fine to eat. You might want to dry them well first or make tea. If its bacterial it could cause some stomach discomfort and brewing it will help with that.

#7 the jesus

the jesus

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 2,583 posts

Posted 22 May 2007 - 09:00 PM

The weirdness continues. The first pics are of this little red riding hood looking thing with a cap that is half open and half closed, looks like it is puking, strange. The last is of more of these balls. I am at a loss. Like I said I used lysol to clean before innoculation but I always do that and also have 4 other strains going that are dated the same day and they all look good.

http://mycotopia.net...28&d=1179885417

http://mycotopia.net...29&d=1179885417

http://mycotopia.net...31&d=1179885417

Attached Thumbnails

• DSC00405.jpg
  • DSC00403.jpg
  • DSC00402.jpg
  • DSC00401.jpg

#8 BuckarooBanzai

BuckarooBanzai

The Abe Vigoda of Mycotopia

• Validating
  • 8,978 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 22 May 2007 - 09:51 PM

Never expect a mutation to follow any kind of pattern or do anything "expectable." Seriously - if ya grow enough of these things, you will see some damned odd things. If you grow a thousand caps to maturity, even .03 mutation rate means 30 damned weird looking mushrooms.

9 out of 10 times, Lysol does nothing. That 10th time, you end up with 13 upside down blooming shrooms. Or something weirder. Fungi metabolism is so damned fast, they can change one hell of a lot in a very short period of time. My FOAF got some drastic results just playing with humidity and fresh air flow. Lysol and/or petroleum oils can make for some slap ass weird looking fruit.

Lysol is also toxic to any cats/birds/reptiles sharing your home. Stay away from phenolic based disinfectants, IMHO. Oust for the air and bleach for the surfaces will work better and be safer for you (and your fungi) in the long run. Straight assed opinion stuff there...

Eating the mutants is up to you, but my FOAF has found that they work just fine and dandy...perhaps a tad better when you add the placebo of "I'm eating a mutated fungus - what else might it do????"

And man, I don't wanna be comin' off all Yoda "I've seen it all, it's nothing new" 'cause every mutation is unique. TCO had one that looked like it had a friggin' mouth coming off of it! I guarantee you, that dude has seen way weirder shit than both of us combined!

Hey, by the way 'da Jesus, diggin that frickin' "ball scrubber" avater, dude. GOOD STUFF, MAN!

#9 the jesus

the jesus

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 2,583 posts

Posted 22 May 2007 - 09:59 PM

Whoa! Good to see you Bucky! :bow: Thanks for the input and really it is wonderful to see you around.

I may just have to switch to Oust, I haven't gone wrong with the teachings from the Bonzai Institute yet. :loveeyes:

#10 BuckarooBanzai

BuckarooBanzai

The Abe Vigoda of Mycotopia

• Validating
  • 8,978 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 22 May 2007 - 11:02 PM

Good to be seen, man!

Seriously, I remember when you was just a polite dude with good questions, coming up (as was I, myself, not that long ago).

Now you be all moderatin' and doin' logs and shiznat!

Top notch work, man. Really respectable stuff.

Ya make me feel good about contributing, man, 'cause ya make me feel like I might have had a tiny part in teaching you something that I think is pretty important. Something that others really stretched to teach me, 'cause they thought it was pretty important.

And you, now, are teaching others.

Life is pretty fucking cool, man. Thanks for a little reminder of that!

#11 Bobcat

Bobcat

Selah!

• Expired Member
  • 3,573 posts

Posted 23 May 2007 - 10:09 AM

You should try to clone some of these things for shits and giggles. The lighter in color ones particularly- cause just maybe you might have something there hiding in the mutations. Two right exact mutations right next to each other... maybe a strain. Not saying it is one, but well worth your cloning time. If nothing else, print em!

#12 the jesus

the jesus

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 2,583 posts

Posted 23 May 2007 - 08:13 PM

Well unfortunately after taking that pic I dropped that cake and all the mushies fell off. :thumbdown:

Now this is really getting to me, take a look at these pics of some PE I have in the same terrarium. It looks like it is time for a douching. This is now officially not a fluke and obviously a procedural thing. What gets my goat is this grows sole purpose was to replenish my print stash and that was my last PE. :eusa_booh

http://mycotopia.net...72&d=1179969141

Attached Thumbnails

• DSC00415.jpg

#13 shobimono

shobimono

Chat Admin

• Free Member
  • 833 posts

Posted 24 May 2007 - 08:02 AM

The Redboy strain is very mutant prone. It's not a stable strain.

#14 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 24 May 2007 - 08:05 AM

i agree with [user]dial8[/user]-
to my eye
that looks much more like verticillium than anything else mentioned,
all the symptoms are there,
the blobs, the bent-over cap.
http://mycotopia.net...72&d=1179969141
http://mycotopia.net...29&d=1179885417
that was NOT caused by lysol.

i would NOT clone such infected fruitbodies -
nor would i take any prints .

#15 Bobcat

Bobcat

Selah!

• Expired Member
  • 3,573 posts

Posted 24 May 2007 - 09:16 AM

I'm not disagreeing that its verticillium (in fact I would agree), but I would point out that blobs on PE are common as well. I wouldn't assume that all are infected, but Hips got a point.

Still, if those white ones hadn't fallen off, vert or no vert, I would have worked with them a little.

#16 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 24 May 2007 - 09:31 AM

it does seem possible for entire strains to become infected with verticillium,
or at least, to re-phrase that more accurately,
it seems likely that some strains are exceptionally prone to succumbing to verticillium ,
both the PE and the KSSS are example of that.
dig into the vaults by following the glossary links on verticillium
to find several examples of both.

#17 Bobcat

Bobcat

Selah!

• Expired Member
  • 3,573 posts

Posted 24 May 2007 - 09:50 AM

Hmm, thats really interesting. If thats true, that the entire strain is infected, then could that infection have an effect on the dna? I mean, PEs have a certain look to them, and isn't there a special weird looking version of KSSS? A coincidence?

#18 hyphaenation

hyphaenation

Former Staff

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 13,977 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 24 May 2007 - 10:18 AM

I wish i had a working cam on hand. I have some odd redboys fryuiting right now as well. They have such very white stalks and almost a shitake looking caps. Very odd looking fellows...

#19 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 24 May 2007 - 10:33 AM

maybe the trait
in both strains is a
lack of immunity
to verticillium.

that genetic immune system weakness
would pass
via spores onto offspring,
but not the verticillium itself
which would be from the environment.

once environmental verticillium finds
the weakened strains
it can strike with a vengeance.
that would explain the available evidence, imo.

#20 Bobcat

Bobcat

Selah!

• Expired Member
  • 3,573 posts

Posted 24 May 2007 - 10:55 AM

Vert and mutations may not be the only problem here. I see green above the bulbous growth in the first pic.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!