Fisana

- - - - -

Help for newbie please

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_entheogenman_*

Guest_entheogenman_*

Posted 23 May 2007 - 02:52 PM

I'm almost ready to inoculate some jars with spacecake's spores.I've been reading through the vaults here on mycotopia with interest.Actually,I've been reading with a bit too much interest.I reckon I've tried to soak up too much information too soon.
This is where I'm at.I've got spore prints,10 syringes,4 bonne mamam jars,glovebox,lysol (dettol),foil,oust spray and a pressure cooker.I reckon I will be able to make up the syringes without messing it up.
I need to get some vermiculite.I intend to put my substrate into the jars with a layer of vermiculite on top,pc,cool,and inoculate.
Can I use ordinary pop corn as a substrate or should I get organic brown rice?If I cant get vermiculite can I use perlite?Do I need to mix vermiculite with the brown rice/popping corn?
Thanks to mycotopia,I've got my head around the sterile procedure.But everything else is still alien to me.Your help is appreciated.:)

#2 Nabby

Nabby

Mushroom Muncher

• Expired Member
  • 508 posts

Donator

Posted 23 May 2007 - 04:21 PM

If you're gonna use popcorn, which as a noob you shouldn't (a bit tougher to do right), you wouldn't be using verm with it. The point of using grains like popcorn or WBS is to use them by themselves so you can shake them up when necessary and then when fully colonized, mix them with a bulk substrate for a larger grow. You'd also need to modify your lids with some sort of filter to keep any air that gets in from being unfiltered. Your dry verm layer on the PF jar does this same thing, but you wouldn't have that in a grain jar. If you're going PF style, which you probably are, get verm from a garden center, or buy a block of coir at a pet store as reptile bedding (Bed-A-Beast). You can mix that with powdered grain flours, like brown rice, I have also used ground up quaker oats, and ground up wheaties cereal, with just as good results. My usual mixture is equal parts grain flour to water, and two parts verm. Mix up well, put in jars, add dry verm across the top, punch the four holes in your lids, and don't forget to wrap the lids tightly with foil before putting it into the PC so it doesn't through off your moisture content.

#3 joystik

joystik

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 505 posts

Posted 23 May 2007 - 04:50 PM

The best advice anyone can give you is, go back to the vault, pick one tek proven successful and stick to it word by word. If you mix up teks 99% chance youre gonna screw up. Take it from me. I lost 4 strains this way. thats 80 buck worth in spores and who knows how much in time and sorrow.

Good Luck!

#4 Guest_entheogenman_*

Guest_entheogenman_*

Posted 23 May 2007 - 05:44 PM

Thanks for the clear advice.:thumbup:
The spores are brasil and australian,a gift from spacecake.I've had failures in the past with bought syringes.I hear you joystick,I dont want to mess up again.
I'm going to use organic brown rice,ground in a food processor,mixed with vermiculite and water,in the proportions given by Nabby.Then dry vermiculite on top.
I'll post some pics in a few days.:)

#5 amnije

amnije

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 70 posts

Posted 23 May 2007 - 06:14 PM

great way to start
Good luck!

#6 Guest_entheogenman_*

Guest_entheogenman_*

Posted 25 May 2007 - 03:37 PM

The jars are in the pressure cooker now.I'm going to make the syringes up and inoculate at the same time in my 'blue peter' glovebox.
How long do I need to pc them for?

Attached Thumbnails

• DSC00423.JPG
  • DSC00421.JPG
  • DSC00419.JPG
  • DSC00418.JPG
  • DSC00417.JPG

#7 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 25 May 2007 - 03:47 PM

60-90 minutes is good

#8 Guest_entheogenman_*

Guest_entheogenman_*

Posted 25 May 2007 - 03:54 PM

Thanks.
:)

#9 SWIM

SWIM

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 172 posts

Posted 25 May 2007 - 04:39 PM

And don't forget to let the jars cool to room temperature inside before 'noccing them.

#10 Guest_entheogenman_*

Guest_entheogenman_*

Posted 26 May 2007 - 06:07 AM

I've just finnished inoculating.It was a major pain in the ass.I had multiple problems with the glovebox I made.Sucking in air,and not having enough space.
I only managed to make up one syringe.I managed to inoculate 3 jars.Most of the syringe went into the first jar.
If these jars contam then I'm going to buy a glovebox.I'm not feeling confident at this stage.:(

#11 Nabby

Nabby

Mushroom Muncher

• Expired Member
  • 508 posts

Donator

Posted 26 May 2007 - 09:23 AM

I only use a glovebox for making syringes. I've never needed anything spectacular for inoculation. I used to slightly pull out one of my empty dresser drawers, lysol the inside, then reach in wearing latex gloves and a clean long sleeve t-shirt, and do the inoculation in there.

#12 Guest_entheogenman_*

Guest_entheogenman_*

Posted 26 May 2007 - 10:37 AM

Apart from sucking in air,I had problems making up the syringe.I used a table knife,which I pc'd wrapped in foil,to scrape off the spores into my jar of water.The knife was wet and the spores stuck to it.I washed the knife in the jar,and sucked up a syringe full.There were loads of spores on the print,but I couldn't see any in the syringe.
I wish I'd just dropped the foil into the jar,put the lid on and swirled it around.Or injected into the bag and sucked it back up.I was trying to be as quick as possible to avoid contams.
The inoculation was easy enough.I just dont know if any spores made it into the syringe.I'm such an idiot!:lol:

#13 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 26 May 2007 - 11:09 AM

that's why i rub them thru a ziplock,
really helps get those spores off

#14 spacecake

spacecake

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 4,563 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 26 May 2007 - 12:06 PM

Be carefull..only the inside of my prints are clean,so don't drop the whole print in a jar of water !

Just clean your knife with alcohol,and scrape of the spores...
witch strain are trying ?

Good luck..!

#15 Guest_entheogenman_*

Guest_entheogenman_*

Posted 26 May 2007 - 12:27 PM

I'm trying the brasil strain.There's still a chance it'll work out I reckon.
I'm going to make a glovebox with proper gloves that clamp on.

#16 Guest_entheogenman_*

Guest_entheogenman_*

Posted 29 May 2007 - 11:42 AM

There's no sign of growth or contams yet.I've been busy making a glovebox.

Attached Thumbnails

• DSC00426.JPG
  • DSC00424.JPG

#17 spacecake

spacecake

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 4,563 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 29 May 2007 - 12:16 PM

..I think it takes two more days to see some growth..!

What's the incubation temp ?

#18 Guest_entheogenman_*

Guest_entheogenman_*

Posted 29 May 2007 - 01:38 PM

75.2 f. The incubator is a fridge,with low power light bulb.:)

Attached Thumbnails

• DSC00427.JPG

#19 Guest_entheogenman_*

Guest_entheogenman_*

Posted 01 June 2007 - 05:17 AM

All 4 jars have white growth around the inoculation points! I'll post pics when it's easier to see.:headbang:

#20 spacecake

spacecake

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 4,563 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 01 June 2007 - 11:27 AM

Nice... !

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!