41 replies to this topic

#1 Freaky

Freaky

Head Editor

• Expired Member
  • 12,219 posts

Posted 26 May 2007 - 08:50 PM

Well, 'tis the season again :)

This is the start of a season long thread. It will be updated and added to throughout the season.

This is the first two projects to be started. Strain~ 3 jars Pesa from Sporeworks
(two jars were PF Redspore, its bad to not lable)

The first is a straw tub project. To see if there was any benefit and less critter destruction by not coming in direct contact with the ground.

Project 1~~~
First, the tub, clear with drain holes. And a pic of the soaking straw.
IMG_2596.jpg
Second, 5 jars of Mycrotopias premium cake mix. The plastic containers are great :thumbup:
IMG_2597.jpg
Third, bottom layer of wet straw (un-pasteurized and un-chopped). Packed down as tightly as possible. Advise chopping if you can.
IMG_2603.jpg
Fourth, crumbled the five cakes. Again, packed down tight.
IMG_2604.jpg
A close up
IMG_2605.jpg
Final, after mixing, heavy layer of dry straw on top. (not sure if this was wise)
IMG_2606.jpg
And a pic of the side.
IMG_2607.jpg

Update as of today:

The top after a good rain
IMG_2687.jpg
Mycelium colonizing and looking good
IMG_2692.jpg
IMG_2688.jpg

Project 2~~~
This is also a straw project. Only a straw log project.

No pics to share of how it was made, so history given:

Mycrotopia jars bought in January. Two PF Redspore jars grew nice and healthy. (mycelium syringes were made and inoculated the two jars for the above project). Those jars were birthed sometime in March. They didn't fruit after birthing.
The cakes sat in a ziplock bag with verm and just fuzzed up, never pinned or fruited.
There was left over wet straw from project 1.
The two cakes were crumbled and mixed with the verm in the bag (all done outside)
The wet straw was shoved into the ziplock bag and it was all mixed together. (just like straw, small and simple.)
Then it was packed down and the bag rolled up. A zip tie helped hold it in its rolled up state.
The corners of the bag were cut off, the zipper at top was not zipped. And scissors were used to puncture some holes into the bag.
The bag was placed in a box outside inside a shed.

Pics from today:
Pins were noted so the zip tie was cut off. The bag unrolled.
IMG_2683.jpg

An outdoor holding container was needed. An old dub tub was put to use. Not cleaned or anything, rinsed with a hose.
Some Hydroton rocks added to the bottom for the small straw log to lay on and help aid in humidity.
The top (not shown) has two large side holes for air exchange.
IMG_2686.jpg

Close up of pins
IMG_2685.jpg

Salamander was found under the straw tub when it was picked up to move to its home in the woods.

IMG_2690.jpg

This will be updated whenever the next project begins or there are photos to share.
Outdoor growing can be accomplished so easily and in so many different ways. I love Nature's Way :)

Thanks for reading, and happy funging :)

***Stupid me just realized the max pic file size is almost 2 MB, (i'm used to the old, under 500k) so the pics are small cuz they were resized. Update pics will be better for viewing. ***
  • psylocaria likes this

#2 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 26 May 2007 - 08:59 PM

pic o' the month nominee
http://mycotopia.net...75&d=1180230344

#3 Freaky

Freaky

Head Editor

• Expired Member
  • 12,219 posts

Posted 26 May 2007 - 09:21 PM

Thanks Hip!

Its an honor to get a nomination to Pic of the Month!

#4 python

python

Former Member

• Banned Member
  • 2,655 posts

Posted 26 May 2007 - 10:24 PM

Hell ya Freaky!

Nice log.... i am looking forward to the future :D

And i second that pic o the month nominee!!! :dance:

#5 Sunstar

Sunstar

Gazer of the innerself

• Expired Member
  • 2,031 posts

Posted 27 May 2007 - 02:09 AM

:cool: Keep us posted

#6 golly

golly

modapotato

• Expired Member
  • 6,205 posts

Posted 27 May 2007 - 07:19 AM

Great post Freaky...! That blue Sally is amazing...Also good to see you back in the game...Have fun...

#7 Freaky

Freaky

Head Editor

• Expired Member
  • 12,219 posts

Posted 27 May 2007 - 07:33 AM

Thanks Friends!
I just love this time of year!

I'm glad you guys like that pic. I very rarely see a blue salamander. Usually only the yellow. I think he was making meals outta the slugs and bugs :)

Coming soon: Treasure Coast and Penis Envy projects :greenboun

#8 Orchidman

Orchidman

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 224 posts

Posted 27 May 2007 - 07:50 AM

That photo is georgeous. But sometimes we see in photos something not seen with the naked eye. I think I see a pillbug under the salamander. They shouldn't be allowed to get into your grow because although they only seem to eat decaying vegetation, they will spread contamination as they travel. They would probably nest in your hydroton and eat up all your straw. Hopefully the salamander will eat pillbugs.

#9 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 27 May 2007 - 07:53 AM

might spread diatomaceous earth for the bugs.

#10 chimp

chimp

Space Lord Modulator

• Expired Member
  • 5,911 posts

Posted 27 May 2007 - 08:20 AM

Great Pic of the salamander !

#11 Freaky

Freaky

Head Editor

• Expired Member
  • 12,219 posts

Posted 27 May 2007 - 08:25 AM

The pill bugs are the reason the tub was moved, thats when the salamander was found. That pill bug didn't go un noticed. Usually they are more prevelant with the use of horse manure rather than straw.
(actually I like to call em rolly-pollies)

Contams have never been seen in outdoor cubensis grows. At least not yet, after 3 years of doing them.

Diatomaceous earth is going to be used Hip. Also, a cover has been put over the tub to keep out critters and slugs.

#12 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 27 May 2007 - 08:33 AM

i have never seen a blue salamander,
in fact i've only ever seen 1 in the wild,
a few years ago in ozarks while visiting my crop
and it was small, barely 2 inches long i'd say, and orange
Posted Image

#13 reverend trips

reverend trips

Former Member

• Banned Member
  • 2,349 posts

Posted 27 May 2007 - 09:14 AM

Very nice pics!

We don't have salamanders in my part of the world, I wish we did. They are cute little buggers.

It is nice to see you back at it Freaky...been too long!

Good luck!

#14 python

python

Former Member

• Banned Member
  • 2,655 posts

Posted 27 May 2007 - 09:27 AM

I used to catch salamanders around my parts ----- seen thousands i bet....but that blue one is especially nice....
Where there is one there are others..... they interbreed, create hybrids...and are more typically found near coastlines/water --- the pics of these two seem like they would reside near water --- whereas if they were spotted i would expect to see them more inland........

Ohh, and ya might want to change that title Trips ---there's a new king of the arcade :lol: :dance:

just playin.....

#15 Freaky

Freaky

Head Editor

• Expired Member
  • 12,219 posts

Posted 27 May 2007 - 09:49 AM

Hip, that salamander is cool! I've only ever seen black variety. That orange color is amazing.

They are little cuties.

I wasn't able to move mine with the tub, he went into hiding right after the pic. I'm sure I'll find some more this summer.

And it does feel good to be back at it :) Missed all the fun-gus for a while :D

#16 Freaky

Freaky

Head Editor

• Expired Member
  • 12,219 posts

Posted 11 June 2007 - 09:39 PM

:rasta:
Time for updating to this thread :smokin:

First, showing two new small projects. Testing a couple new materials and methods so best to do it small so no wasting of spawn or material.

Project 1

2 Mycrotopia Mix Filter Patch Bags
Strain: Treasure Coast

New material to test out: bagged humus/manure mix.

IMG_2778.jpg

Straw soaking with some coco coir in a tub

IMG_2779.jpg

Spawn bags

IMG_2781.jpg

Shoe box that will house the Treasure Coast......:pirate: garrrrrrrr

IMG_2782.jpg

Spawn crumbled up lightly in the bags

IMG_2783.jpg

Up close of the humus/manure mix~~~~~it is definitely recommended this be cut with vermiculite or straw(though that might not be enough) because its got a mud texture when wet~~~~~~

IMG_2784.jpg

The straw/coir mixed with the humus/manure

IMG_2785.jpg

Spawn dumped into the bulk substrate mix

IMG_2786.jpg

Spawn and straw mixed up

IMG_2787.jpg

Top put on shoe box, and holes punched into the lid.

IMG_2788.jpg

Its resting place is outdoors under a bush. Thoughts are that the shoe box will colonize quick enough while still fruiting a few flushes.
The humus/manure mix is getting tested out for how well it works mixed with straw. Straight manure beds have been found to turn spongy and ruin the mycelium if it gets too many days of straight rain. A maximum of 2 good flushes was all straight manure was giving, so this summer, more straw is being utilized.

Project 2

This is a small penis project :lol: :lol: :lol:

1 filter bag of Mycrotopia's Mycro Mix
:thumbup: to this substrate mix! Great stuff!

Spawn bag crumbled up
IMG_2789.jpg

Bulk substrate mixed into bag substrate
IMG_2790.jpg

Bag tied up loosely, a few holes poked, and set in a dark spot.
IMG_2791.jpg

This project is to see how the Penis Envy strain likes the straw/humus/manure mix. There are 3 other bags waiting to finish colonizing. They will be spawned together into a larger project.

This is going to test fruiting straight out of Mycrotopia's bags outdoors. These will most likely be kept where they can be hand watered/misted. Right now the bag is in a barn. This should keep slugs to a minimum and other outdoor bed destroyers.

So there are 2 new projects for nature to care :)

#17 Freaky

Freaky

Head Editor

• Expired Member
  • 12,219 posts

Posted 11 June 2007 - 10:04 PM

:dance:

And now............an update of previous tub project~~~

A natural shot :) IMG_2792.jpg

Close up of primordia~of course they sprout during a drought :(
IMG_2794.jpg

Side pinning going on which was expected. IMG_2798.jpg

Unfortunately no pics of the tiny straw log. It is being worked with as humidity can't be maintained. Updates on that to follow in the near future, once a plan of action is decided upon.

#18 Freaky

Freaky

Head Editor

• Expired Member
  • 12,219 posts

Posted 14 June 2007 - 05:55 PM

Just some update pics. I think it likes the straw/humus/manure mix. Those pics are 4days after spawning.

Tub is a bit dissapointing, not doing too well. Don't know if its weather related or what, but at least it fruited :)

:rasta:

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_2983.jpg
  • IMG_2977.jpg
  • IMG_2976.jpg

#19 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 14 June 2007 - 06:08 PM

no pics of the tiny straw log. It is being worked with as humidity can't be maintained. Updates on that to follow in the near future, once a plan of action is decided upon.

maybe wrap it in burlap/fabric
keep that wet
Posted Image
see
http://archives.myco...s/5/135826.html

#20 Freaky

Freaky

Head Editor

• Expired Member
  • 12,219 posts

Posted 14 June 2007 - 08:39 PM

:bow:

Thanks for the link Hip! I've been thinking for a couple days now what to do with it. I checked it tonight and its pretty dry. I'm gonna dunk it tomorrow and then I might give this idea a try, and bury it in some moist area. Definitely have to dunk it though.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!