Fisana

- - - - -

The cake of coir

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_vrooota!_*

Guest_vrooota!_*

Posted 15 February 2005 - 12:32 PM

Yep that's right folks, if you are willing to wait 2 months or more for full colonization you can make coir-brf cakes and get at least one half way decent flush. My first one was 45 grams wet. The only thing holdiong it back from doing better I think is the limited amount of water the thing will hold.
Just a little experiment I tried a while ago that actually came to fruition eventually. Thought I'd share even if I can't get pics right now, hopefully I'll borrow my friends camera for the possible second flush

#2 insight

insight

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 824 posts

Posted 15 February 2005 - 12:54 PM

<blockquote><hr size=0><!-quote-!><font size=1>quote:</font>

The only thing holdiong it back from doing better I think is the limited amount of water the thing will hold. <!-/quote-!><hr size=0></blockquote>

One would figure that being coir was used, it would hold more water...

#3 pskovinsky

pskovinsky

Ex-chat M0d of Doom, y3

• Expired Member
  • 1,354 posts

Posted 15 February 2005 - 01:01 PM

Not compared to vermiculite, that stuff holds tons of water...

#4 Guest_a.k.a._*

Guest_a.k.a._*

Posted 15 February 2005 - 09:09 PM

What size of jar was it?

#5 Guest_hippie3_*

Guest_hippie3_*

Posted 15 February 2005 - 09:33 PM

we've had a few report limited success on coir-brf cakes, they hold plenty of water but they also give it up faster than verm
so regular dunking is needed to get the most out of it.
have you tried dunking yours yet ?

#6 Guest_rodger_*

Guest_rodger_*

Posted 15 February 2005 - 09:55 PM

Somebody try it with coir/verm and leave out the BRF. I know it works with coffee grinds/verm.

#7 Guest_a.k.a._*

Guest_a.k.a._*

Posted 15 February 2005 - 10:43 PM

I'll try to remember to try that out next week, along with others like manure/verm. I think for yields and price the manure water, brf(not organic) and vermiculite will win. I'm also gonna try different ratios of brf:verm out for myself

#8 Guest_realschmeal_*

Guest_realschmeal_*

Posted 15 February 2005 - 11:47 PM

i tried to make cakes out of castings, verm, and coir with dry verm layers on both ends. I used pan spores, but nothing happened. I ran out of solution, so I used a mex cub strain in karo for one of them, and it took off (I love mexi cub!). If I mixed in coffee grinds, do you think spores would germinate? Or maybe I just had a crappy syringe, and other spores may work.

#9 Guest_vrooota!_*

Guest_vrooota!_*

Posted 16 February 2005 - 10:24 AM

The cake was a pint before I had to break it into a big piece and a smallish piece to get it out of the jar, as there was little shrinkage. I just tossed the little piece. Apparently there was more water in the thing than I thought because it's still flushing, I'm up to 60 grams wet that were mature this morning, with possibly more coming that I thought for sure would abort. I plan to start in on the ones in the fridge tonight,Posted Image pick whats left and dunk for a good 24 hours. I wish the other cakes I did this way wouldn't have got contams (trich, post-birthing on colonized surface; odd, no?) so I could do some experimenting. On a side note, the myc grew into the polyfill at the top of the jar because I put so much in and it's kinda like a cloth casing for some of the boomers. Not as good as verm or coir for holding moisture close to the myc I'm sure, but I found out that it makes picking and cleaning the base of the shrooms a non existent job.
Rodger: do you think that just a verm and coir cake would hold enough nutes for anything but aborts? That would be so simple!!
peace

#10 Lazlo

Lazlo

old hand

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 7,620 posts

Posted 16 February 2005 - 11:33 AM

I've got a rather large tray of newspaper/coir/coffee grounds going. We'll see how it goes.

#11 Lazlo

Lazlo

old hand

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 7,620 posts

Posted 16 February 2005 - 11:34 AM

Oh! And some secret additives too!

#12 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 18 February 2005 - 09:51 PM

Somebody try it with coir/verm and leave out the BRF. I know it works with coffee grinds/verm.

but why leave out the brf ?
just to 'see' ?

#13 Lazlo

Lazlo

old hand

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 7,620 posts

Posted 18 February 2005 - 10:35 PM

I've got a rather large tray of newspaper/coir/coffee grounds going. We'll see how it goes.

I didn't use any spawn in this project. Just liquid innoculation.

#14 vrooota

vrooota

Onamonapia

• Free Member
  • 677 posts

Posted 19 February 2005 - 09:09 AM

no contams looper?
how'd ya pull that off?

#15 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 19 February 2005 - 11:21 AM

didn't use any spawn in this project. Just liquid innoculation.

good luck,
in general going in directly with a nutrient liquid ensures contams in fairly short order

#16 Lazlo

Lazlo

old hand

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 7,620 posts

Posted 19 February 2005 - 01:07 PM

So far a whole lot of notta! Notta a damn thing! Kind of a boring experiment.

#17 Lazlo

Lazlo

old hand

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 7,620 posts

Posted 19 February 2005 - 01:26 PM

no contams looper?
how'd ya pull that off?

So far it doesn't look like i've pulled anything off. It's only been 4 days so we'll see what happens. I'll keep you posted.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!