Fisana

- - - - -

castings n coir ???

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#21 Guest_golly_*

Guest_golly_*

Posted 08 March 2005 - 04:44 PM

Both Coir and Worm poo r close to neutral or at least should be because worms eat and reproduce best with a Ph around 7..What does your new meter say....?

#22 Guest_Peter Cottontail_*

Guest_Peter Cottontail_*

Posted 08 March 2005 - 07:40 PM

I'd still lime the coir and worm castings at a rate of 1/2 tablespoon hydrated lime per cup of coir/castings. Bear in mind, you're unlikely to get trich in your substrate unless you're dirty or do something silly like sterilize it. You only want to pasteurize any material you plan to use for casing or substrate. Once the mycelium has colonized the substrate, trich doesn't have a chance to grow. It will grow on your casing material however, so keep the air exchange up once you case.

#23 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 08 March 2005 - 07:53 PM

i never used lime for castings
but a bit in the coir is good if it's being
used in a casing layer.
both are pretty neutral ph
which is just fine for cubie mycellia.
if trich's a big problem there
then use some lime

#24 vrooota

vrooota

Onamonapia

• Free Member
  • 677 posts

Posted 22 March 2005 - 02:31 PM

If anyone has experience with this substrate please tell me what the best way to prepare/pastuerize is. There are a lot of diff methods in the archives and I don't know which one would be best. (make tea, hydrate coir then mix castings and pastuerize? that one didn't make much sense to me) I will be using plastic containers that are kinda like mini LB's for fruiting containers.

#25 insight

insight

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 824 posts

Posted 22 March 2005 - 02:48 PM

I have been doing 60/40 coir/verm/lime for a while now with decent results. My method is hydrating coir, adding verm and a pinch of lime, putting mixture in micowavable bowl with cover or plastic wrap, nuke for 5 mins, stir nuke another 5 mins, let cool down. After cool I would mix substrate with casing mix, place in pan, cover with wax paper and let sit 3-5 days for mycelium network to rebuild, case with remaining casing mix, let sit on day and expose to fruiting.
I just recently changed from using coir/verm to poo/verm for spawn and peat/verm for casing.
Good luck.

#26 vrooota

vrooota

Onamonapia

• Free Member
  • 677 posts

Posted 22 March 2005 - 04:44 PM

microwave can properly pastuerize worm poo and coir then? lime is prolly a necessity too huh?
spawn 1 pint
poo 1 "
coir 4 "
that sound about right?
Thanx

#27 insight

insight

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 824 posts

Posted 22 March 2005 - 04:47 PM

I dont want to say yes (in case Im wrong) as my first trial with poo was only 2 days ago and it was cow manure not worm castings, and with my spawn, Im mixing it all together, not layers.

#28 Guest_thafunkyone_*

Guest_thafunkyone_*

Posted 22 March 2005 - 04:51 PM

I've been hydrating castings and coir separately, pasturizing both, then mixing together with verm and some lime. I do about 1/3 of each. mix in some spawn and your good to go..:)

#29 vrooota

vrooota

Onamonapia

• Free Member
  • 677 posts

Posted 22 March 2005 - 04:53 PM

oh I'm not layering it like that, thats just the ratios
good luck with your poop insight :)

#30 insight

insight

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 824 posts

Posted 22 March 2005 - 04:59 PM

Oh, you're asking about ratio. I dont use an exact amount, but my ratio stands at 60% verm to 40% coir and a pinch of lime. The way I figure it is break off some coir and hydrate it. Measure how much you have and add a little over that amount in verm. IE: 1.5 Cups of hydrated coir, I would use 2 Cups of Verm and a pinch of lime.

#31 insight

insight

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 824 posts

Posted 22 March 2005 - 05:01 PM

actually, Im measuring the lime too. Im adding 1/2T per cup of substrate (minus verm).

#32 destroy_erase_improve

destroy_erase_improve

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 2,167 posts

Posted 22 March 2005 - 05:10 PM

my friend kind of eyeballs it when she does her mixes
but a general rule is she has more verm than any other ingredient
and lime is always the sugar on top

#33 smegma

smegma

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 484 posts

Posted 22 March 2005 - 07:38 PM

The ratio is:

1 brick coir: 5 lbs. castings.

Coller TEK the coir with Lime in the H20

Oven bg the poo

mix

spawn 4-5 qts. grain

#34 Guest_Peter Cottontail_*

Guest_Peter Cottontail_*

Posted 22 March 2005 - 07:46 PM

Mix your castings and coir together, then bring to field moisture level. Throw in a few days worth of your spent coffee grinds if you have them. Add half a tablespoon of hydrated lime per cup of moistened mix. Next bring your verm to field moisture level, and then mix the verm 50/50 with the already moistened coir/castings. Allow to sit for half an hour and adjust moisture level again. If too wet, squeeze some water out. If too dry, add water. Load into quart jars, cover and place in a large pot of cold water. Your PC will work great for this. Make sure the water is 2/3 of the way up the quart jars. Put a lid on the pot and turn on the stove. When the water boils, turn off the stove right away. Leave covered. An hour later you can remove the jars to cool, or allow them to sit in the water until cool.
RR

RR

#35 vrooota

vrooota

Onamonapia

• Free Member
  • 677 posts

Posted 22 March 2005 - 08:18 PM

Thanx RR and everyone. Thats the way I'm gonna do it sounds much less complicated than one of the teks in the archives. I still won't be able to get verm around here until next month or so my hydro store owner guy says, ( He was wearing a dead shirt and was very helpful and sensitive to my needs ;) ) so this first project is gonna be just coir n castings n coffe gotta go pick up some lime too, I've held off until now.
peace

#36 smegma

smegma

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 484 posts

Posted 22 March 2005 - 08:30 PM

Thanx RR and everyone. Thats the way I'm gonna do it sounds much less complicated than one of the teks in the archives. I still won't be able to get verm around here until next month or so my hydro store owner guy says, ( He was wearing a dead shirt and was very helpful and sensitive to my needs ;) ) so this first project is gonna be just coir n castings n coffe gotta go pick up some lime too, I've held off until now.
peace

You do NOT need verm... I personall ywould skip it.

Hydrate the coir in pillow case with boiling H2O in a cooler, wait 1.5 hrs. hang to drain.. don't squeeze.

Hydrate castings CAREFULLY, wet not mud. Cook 175 for 1.5 hrs in oven bag.

let both cool

mix with 4-5 qts. spawn, just mix it in a new trash bag.

Maybe lime the coir it will work either way but lime will help with contam.

This will make WAY more than the 5 qts. 1 layer of your PC will hold.

Aprox 20 qts. w/ spawn

#37 vrooota

vrooota

Onamonapia

• Free Member
  • 677 posts

Posted 22 March 2005 - 08:51 PM

don't need that much substrate just yet, I'll do it the small scale way until I get a bale of straw..

#38 smegma

smegma

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 484 posts

Posted 22 March 2005 - 09:13 PM

don't need that much substrate just yet, I'll do it the small scale way until I get a bale of straw..

just tying to show an ez way

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!