7 replies to this topic

#1 Myc

Myc

El Jardinero

• App Administrator
  • 7,703 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 30 May 2007 - 04:14 PM

Being new at cultivation I panicked when I first observed these growths in my culture. Upon further study I found that this is a natural function of this species and I was just blind lucky for it to occur given that I was incubating this culture at 82 F. It usually only occurs between 70-75 F.
This culture is Psilocybe Mexicana on a mixture of:
3/8 c dark rye flour
1 tsp. bee pollen
1 tsp. brewer's yeast
1/2 c fine grade verm.
60cc "organic" water (obtained by cleaning the aquarium)

I mixed the ingredients and the mixture seemed a little wet so I added spent mushroom compost until it looked right. Sorry I don't have an exact measurement for the compost. PC'd for 45 min. @ 15psi, cooled overnight, innoculated 27 days ago.

Any ideas about expanding this culture to a bulk substrate after colonization is complete would be welcome. Apparently this is not a dung loving species and is found in grassy areas. In the book I have, all of the photos show harvested sclerotia. Is it active? Or is it better used as spawn for further mycelium production?

Attached Thumbnails

• sclerotia 3.JPG
  • sclerotia 2.JPG

• Heirloom likes this

#2 Workman

Workman

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 667 posts

Posted 30 May 2007 - 05:39 PM

I find it pretty funny that you have produced sclerotia without even knowing anything about it. You should be able to search the forums for some good information.

Yes, it is active and, as you have found out, dead easy to produce. Much simpler than growing actual mushrooms if not as asthetically pleasing.

I use pure grass seed as a sclerotia forming and fruiting substrate. You can eat the sclerotia directly or even plant them in casing soil to produce fruits. I case colonized grass seed before any sclerotia appears. Even if the casing does poorly, you can get a secondary harvest of sclerotia by digging around in the casing soil. The better the mushrooms grow, the fewer sclerotia you will find.

A problem with using vermiculite is that it tends to stick to the sclerotia tenaciously and you end up eating some of it.

#3 Guest_vinz_*

Guest_vinz_*

Posted 30 May 2007 - 09:04 PM

cool!
i thought sclerotia only grew on small grains..
would mexicana have grown on your substrate?
its not a poo/straw lover like pans?

what other grains can grow sclerotia?
wbs..rye..wheat berries..popcorn..rice..
popcorn cant right? coz its too big?

#4 Workman

Workman

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 667 posts

Posted 30 May 2007 - 09:42 PM

It will grow on any grain. I've tried corn but it produced poorly. Grass seed worked best for me but rye and birdseed work pretty well. The size of the grain isn't important, just the nutrient value.

#5 Guest_vinz_*

Guest_vinz_*

Posted 30 May 2007 - 09:47 PM

cool, thanks!

#6 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 31 May 2007 - 08:09 AM

wow
:bow:
never observed sclerotia on a cake b4
http://mycotopia.net...18&d=1180558797

pic o' the month nominee
:thumbup:

#7 Myc

Myc

El Jardinero

• App Administrator
  • 7,703 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 31 May 2007 - 03:28 PM

Thank you guys for the advice! I really had no idea when I started this culture what would happen. I have a green thumb and just like to grow things so I gave it a go. I'm interested to find if the mycelium has penetrated the substrate. Also interested to see if the sclerotia has penetrated or if its smashed between the jar and the cake. I'll let it colonize further, dig out this post at that time and upload my findings with pics.
I had imagined expanding this to a sterilized version of Waylit's woodlover recipe using cactus mix and rye grass seed. Just put the ingredients in an oven bag, hydrate to field capacity, and PC. Shred the cake with a cheese grater and mix well with the substrate, allow to clonize and case. I love to experiment so we'll see.
BTW consuming the proceeds isn't always my primary goal but thanks for the advice about eating verm.

#8 Freaky

Freaky

Head Editor

• OG VIP
  • 12,357 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 31 May 2007 - 07:54 PM

Those stones are cool looking, and on the cakes too. Its interesting how they are forming before the cake is fully colonized.

I've just recently started my first try at sclerotia. Rye grass seed is what I'm using (Mycrotopia :thumbup: ) I decided to see how spores fired, and they took a little while to show growth, but am finally seeing the mycelium run :)

What is the best way to store the stones after harvest? Should they be eaten within a certain amount of time after harvest because of potency loss?

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!