92 replies to this topic

#21 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• OG VIP
  • 10,808 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 June 2007 - 04:10 PM

When you say teaspoon, are you refering to the actual measuring size, or the smaller of the two spoons in a set of flatware.

Maybe east TN is strange be we call the smaller of two spoons a tea spoon, and we also have the measuring kind.

Nice mix by the way. Im anxious to try and send some shrooms to my brother this winter.

I dont know, here in TN we use mighty big spoons:rasta:

The plastic spoon on the honey tub in my last picture literally ended up in southeast TN a few hours later, coincidentally, and I have noticed how y'all tend to prefer the 'heaping' spoons of this honey... East TN is one of my favorite places to go for recreation and I kind of regret moving away. I might move back some day; it really is cool there and I have many many great memories. I was born and raised in Southern California, actually, and my family (4th generation in California) always called the little flatware spoon "teaspoons" and the bigguns "tablespoons," so I assumed that's what people called 'em everywhere. We never drank tea, though.

Anyhow, I took a precise measuring teaspoon and used water to verify that my flatware and the plastic disposable spoons held the same volume, which they in fact did exactly.

#22 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• OG VIP
  • 10,808 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 June 2007 - 04:37 PM

awesome honey tek!
thanks TV! gonna make lots of these soon!
does it taste crunchy?
do you taste the shrooms?
do you flatten it out on the teaspoon?

At room temperature it's more of a gummy consistency. Even at around 80 degrees F (~27C), if you hold the tub upside-down it will not spill. Over a long period of time, it would eventually ooze out, but it pours really slowly.

Some people cannot taste any hint of the mushrooms, but others say they can definitely tell but that it's not a typically unpleasant shroomy taste, just an awareness that they're in there. Only one person doesn't like it, and I think it's because of the nutmeg, which for her combines w/ the fungi taste and makes it worse. If that happens, leave out the nutmeg next time! (But only one person has ever had that problem, but loves it w/out nutmeg, and calls it "giggle goo").

And yes, flatten the spoon! It is supposed to be one LEVEL tsp., and that means minimal gunk stuck to the bottom, too! A dab'll do ya.

A Few More Tips:

1) Use a knife to get the honey out of the tub, then spread it into the spoon. This way you take out no more than desired, which is much less messy, and none gets stuck to the bottom of the spoon as from scooping it out.

2) Another way to use it is to make herb tea (any compatible Celestial Seasonings flavor works well, like Mandarin Orange Spice) and add the spoon to that. There will be powdered bits floating in it as the honey will dissolve; be sure to swallow 'em! It comes on right quick that way.

3) When your tub is almost empty, make more of that herb tea and pour the hot brewed tea into the tub to get every last little molecule of magic!

Really, it makes my day to see people interested in trying this, and the comments have been inspiring. Thanks!

BTW: This was a test of the format I'd like to use to post how-to's with in the future; looks like I'll stick to it.

#23 extra_fungus

extra_fungus

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 21 posts

Posted 02 June 2007 - 07:04 PM

great recipe! could you elaborate on your supplemented substrate that you mentioned?

#24 quillo

quillo

Mycopath

• Expired Member
  • 71 posts

Posted 03 June 2007 - 08:13 AM

Splendid, inspiring receipe, and very effectively explained, thank you! (How did you get your coffee grinder so clean?)

#25 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• OG VIP
  • 10,808 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 03 June 2007 - 08:39 AM

great recipe! could you elaborate on your supplemented substrate that you mentioned?

My substrate recipes and prep methods will be posted in the near future, and get their own threads. Briefly, one thing I've started really liking is Quinoa grain, which I put into WBS along with a bunch of other stuff, none of which are revolutionary ingredients or that other people haven't used before. I don't think I've used the exact same recipe twice, actually, so I'm trying to refine the details enough to make something worth publishing, and when I get there I will post it.

This honey thread is the first chapter of of what I hope will ultimately be a comprehensive record of everything I've learned along the way related to fungi so far, and basically be the complete guide to how I do things, hence the "TV Guide" heading that will be part of the title of all such threads for easier reference. Then, my teks can be part of the vast body of knowledge already gathered here and be among the options available to others, like some big cognitive barter system. It's a Project, in other words. And it's one that I'm undertaking while still living in a somewhat chaotic situation, so please be patient. Meanwhile, everything anybody needs to know is already here or in the vaults or archives. There are countless ways to rot grain, after all.

quillo: That grinder is 16 years old and going strong. I just wash it in the sink with soap and water like anything else, being careful about not drenching or soaking it (I only hold the end w/ the blades near the water, I don't get the whole thing wet), and then letting it air dry for plenty of time before using it again.
  • bozefonce likes this

#26 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 03 June 2007 - 09:59 AM

i thought 'TV Guide' was rather clever title.
:bow:

#27 waylitjim

waylitjim

A Mirror Image

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 4,706 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 03 June 2007 - 10:19 AM

Great post TV. :D
Honey has been my #1 dosing method for a few yrs now. I use a similar recipe, but I like the additional ingredients you've added to cover up the smell. For stealthy storage, clean out a few mustard jars and use them for your honey storage. After a year in the freezer, I noticed a 5-10% loss in potency, not bad at all.

#28 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 03 June 2007 - 10:25 AM

one would think opaque jars might be best choice
seeing as light destroys the magic ?

#29 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 03 June 2007 - 10:28 AM

a thought-
there are different types of honey,
there's clover, and others.
i've seen rose hip honey, which contains plentiful amounts of ascorbic acid [ Vitamin C]
which supposedly
helps slow down any decay in the magic
from oxidation, light, heat, etc.
wonder if that type of honey might be a good choice?

Rose hip honey recipe

You'll need 1 cup ripe rose hips & honey.

Split and de-seed the rose hips with a small spoon.

Make sure all the little hairs are scooped out.

Pack hips into a glass jar and cover with honey.

Let sit overnight and serve on fresh muffins in the morning.

Store any unused honey in the fridge.

This is a wonderful way to preserve the great vitamin C in your rose hips.

#30 golly

golly

modapotato

• Expired Member
  • 6,205 posts

Posted 03 June 2007 - 11:24 AM

Also Ascorbic acid crystals would be easy to add for preservation...
Going to try this honey Tek with some Caerulipes..Just need to get some Herbs...

#31 Guest_Glasshopper_*

Guest_Glasshopper_*

Posted 03 June 2007 - 11:38 AM

Mighty fine work there TV, as usual.

#32 shadowechos

shadowechos

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 113 posts

Posted 03 June 2007 - 05:27 PM

Travel:

I have had airport security people take this stuff out of my carry-on bag and ask me about it several times, and only recently with the ban on liquids and gooey stuff has it been a little dicey. To take it by air, I highly recommend buying a jar of something weird at the health food store, something obscure and icky sounding (like Royal Jelly, for example) and putting this mix into that container instead of using the Gladware tubs. Make it something you really know about and understand so you can answer specific questions correctly.

Then, you can talk some looney herbalist/ alternative medicine schtick if you are questioned about it (I try to convince them, or more accurately I proselytize, that herbs are better than conventional medicine and they think I'm a harmless gullible kook and wave me on, like they've done to me every time... hmmm, maybe I am a harmless gullible kook?). I've even been allowed to carry it on board recently after a screener held it in his hand while asking me about it , but now I check it so as to not have to throw it out just in case they're taking a hardline on liquids or gooey stuff that day.

TVC first thanks for the great write up. Wish I'd know this earlier. It's a keeper.
But as regards travel, it might feel safer using chocolate
recast in the shape of a chunky bar, for example, and repacked
with original wrapper.

#33 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• OG VIP
  • 10,808 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 03 June 2007 - 08:08 PM

TVC first thanks for the great write up. Wish I'd know this earlier. It's a keeper.
But as regards travel, it might feel safer using chocolate
recast in the shape of a chunky bar, for example, and repacked
with original wrapper.

Well then you're gonna love my chocolate tek, but I have to get my vacuum pump fixed first before I can make some again. I essentially do the same thing that you mentioned, but turn it into a real Hershey or Cadbury or whatever bar, utterly indistinguishable, name and all. Unmarked chocolate (no name cast into the chocolate itself) might be suspicious as there's been enough cases/busts to make cops somewhat aware of this tactic. The honey is totally puzzling, and it's smell is clearly culinary, so getting away with it is entirely up to your ability to radiate credibility and confidence, which I would guess applies to chocolate as well for the most part, unless it melts.

I'm glad you brought up chocolate, because I've been curious if other people have noticed what I have with it; after a week or so it starts to "change." Especially if not refrigerated, but even if it is, refrigeration only slows down what looks like the cocoa butter rising to the surface, and ultimately it starts pitting. WTF? Am I a bad chocolate cook? I make perfect "green" bars out of herb extract, but fungi bars change...

one would think opaque jars might be best choice
seeing as light destroys the magic ?

In my case, the tubs so seldom see any light that it isn't an issue I worry about. They are either in the refrigerator/freezer or my cooler or a backpack. And I doubt that light (or oxygen for that matter) would be penetrating this stuff much more than a fraction of a millimeter anyway. I guard more against heat than light.

I like the vitamin- C idea; even if it's hermetically sealed by the honey it will still oxidize, only slower. Rose hips might add an interesting flavor vector, too. I was toying with the idea of making a "Turbo" version of it by adding guarana seed powder, and/or cayenne pepper since Gingko (like many herbs) is strongly potentiated by it according to some herbalists I know. Potentiating a potentiator?!? Madness! And it would be more certain that no one would raid my tub if it set fire to their mouth like sticky-sweet napalm! (I like spicy stuff, obviously).

Stealth is only about a third of my concern; mostly I'm interested in making the most pleasurable and simple way to eat them according to my tastes and for bringing them along on trips. I like alcohol extracts, too, but alcohol is sometimes problematic to carry into certain places and chocolate melts too easily (the honey only softens, but otherwise doesn't change).

This might be a good time to add that two close friends have quit using X since I started giving them this instead. Since almost nothing sold as a "roll" is real MDMA, I hate to see my friends eating them so I nagged them to try the honey instead. They were convinced the first night, or really the first morning-after when they noticed a total lack of feeling like shit.

Even if y'all reading this do not follow my entire recipe, try eating some Gingko (capsules, powder, whatever) about a half hour before eating some fungi and see if you notice a qualitative difference. Something's going on here, and it isn't just me trippin'...

#34 mycobri

mycobri

Stained Blue

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 3,508 posts

Posted 03 June 2007 - 08:38 PM

very interesting & sounds delicious :bow:
this is such a step up from my usual dump and stir method
and amplified power is a plus.

i just need some ginko powder now :D

#35 shadowechos

shadowechos

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 113 posts

Posted 04 June 2007 - 11:54 AM

TVC thanx for the detailed answer. Many considerations. Foaf must try, honey. I suppose using fresh ginger in the honey would be a bad idea due to water content? Fresh grated ginger could be used in the herbal tea though.

#36 The Rogue Angel

The Rogue Angel

Lost Immortal

• Free Member
  • 101 posts

Posted 04 June 2007 - 03:31 PM

I've never tried storing the magic in honey before but your recipe sure has me interested in trying it. The part that really peaks my interest the most is the addition of both Ginkgo and Ginseng to the honey as a bump factor. ...........................Plus the idea of passing out spoons as lollipops to a group of close friends seems really cool.

#37 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• OG VIP
  • 10,808 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 June 2007 - 03:52 PM

Ginseng wasn't in the recipe, but what the hell, throw some in there!

Add anything you like, so long as the final weight of all ingredients is ~185 grams if you want to maintain the 1tsp=1 dry gram ratio. The more dry ingredients, the stiffer the mix ends up is all.

I used a Gingko tincture once (in glycerin), and the room-temp viscosity was smoother and I really liked it but tinctures were too expensive.

And thanks yet again for the nice feedback, y'all!

I just had a decadent thought... skip the spices, just add the fungi and Gingko to enough Nutella to make it 185g. Hmmm. Perhaps an improvement in stealth there, too, or it might be totally gross.

#38 waylitjim

waylitjim

A Mirror Image

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 4,706 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 June 2007 - 03:58 PM

Archive Material
Feasts: Food & Drink : Dosing & Extracts

#39 The Rogue Angel

The Rogue Angel

Lost Immortal

• Free Member
  • 101 posts

Posted 04 June 2007 - 04:01 PM

Oops just read through that again and see now that it was Ginkgo and Ginger. Anyway now I have an excuse to make more than one batch from my next stash.

#40 Boylobster

Boylobster

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 135 posts

Posted 05 June 2007 - 03:09 PM

TV! Sweet! I always enjoy your posts, my good man; they're cogent and make for engaging reading. :thumbup: I'm really looking forward to the TV Guide compendium! Just a thought - perhaps the lids crack when sealed prior to freezing because of the sudden drop in pressure inside the container, and the brittlness of frozen plastic. It's the same principle that seals jars fresh out of the PC, no? In any event, I bow to you, sir! (just like this --->):bow:

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!