92 replies to this topic

#81 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• OG VIP
  • 10,841 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 19 August 2007 - 09:55 AM

Older people are being encouraged to take gingko to help prevent dementia (esp. Alzheimer's, or as they called it in the southern Appalacians, "Oldheimers") and to help them maintain their cognitive function. I believe that mushrooms in general and my honey recipe are very healthy for us.

I'm really becoming convinced that the "Fountain of Youth" is eating psychedelic mushrooms and running around playing like a little kid on a regular basis, excercising our brains constantly with new challenges and puzzles, and helping our brains get enough blood flow and oxygen (what gingko does) during that excercise. All I know is a lot of my trip buddies and I still get carded for beer sometimes (less and less, I admit) and most of us are past our mid-30's! I love confusing clerks by pointing out the sign that says "If you are/appear under 35, be prepared to show ID" and saying "I clearly appear/am over 35, so according to your sign I don't have to." I can almost see the little fuse in their brain blow. My mushroom-eating yoga-teaching 36 year old (at the time) gorgeous friend from way back even got carded for cigarettes! (Yes, I know, yoga and cigs? But life is complicated sometimes, no?)

Clearly, my honey recipe will make anyone smarter, sexier, and happier. Get you some while supplies last! :lol:

#82 GoVols

GoVols

Former Member

• Banned Member
  • 273 posts

Posted 21 August 2007 - 10:57 PM

(esp. Alzheimer's, or as they called it in the southern Appalacians, "Oldheimers")

Clearly, my honey recipe will make anyone smarter, sexier, and happier. Get you some while supplies last! :lol:

Its actually "old timers" that they call it. I just have "some timers"

I do feel like the sexiest man alive when I am on shrooms. I often walk up to the hottest chick around and start talking to her, much to the dissapointment of my girlfriend:loveeyes: And I am convinced that she wants to sleep with me.

Let me just say that the mix was a big hit this weekend at the frat house.

#83 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• OG VIP
  • 10,841 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 24 August 2007 - 07:36 AM

Its actually "old timers" that they call it.

I can give you the coordinates from Google Earth to where they all it "oldheimers." It might just be at the one particular Feed'n'Seed close to the North Carolina line that I used to go to, though. :lol:

BTW: One potential ingredient that I'll probably try making a sample batch of when I have a few caps to spare is cayenne pepper. Not too much, but enough for a little bite. According to several herbalists I've talked to, it increases the effectiveness of many herbs, including Ginkgo, and just by itself gets people fired up for some excitement...

#84 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• OG VIP
  • 10,841 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 24 August 2007 - 08:10 AM

As I do more research on things like this, when I come across information that I feel I should add, I'll post it as I find it. However, I also encourage everyone to do their own research on anything they plan on ingesting, especially potent combinations designed to alter consciousness. Don't take any one person's word for anything when it comes to ways of tinkering with your brain!

Recently as I was reading more about Ginkgo I learned that there is some concern about mixing it with Ibuprofen, or anticoagulants like aspirin. Ginkgo can lower platelet aggregation, so combining it with blood thinners or NSAIDs can cause problems, like excessive bleeding or possible brain hemorrhage in extreme cases. The studies that found this were using concentrated extracts designed for medical use, however, and the levels of active compounds in the dried leaf are very slight in comparison. This significant difference in potency of dried leaf vs. concentrated extracts was even noted in the literature.

Also noted was Ginkgo's synergistic effect on MAOI type anti-depressants, which has been shown to magnify both positive and negative effects of those drugs. Best not to mix them.

This is a powerful herb, and there must be a good reason why Chinese monks preserved it through the last Ice Age in Bonsai form, which is the only reason we still have it today (no known wild, native stands exist). There are also Ginkgo leaves in the fossil record from the Permian period of the Paleozoic Era (around 270 million years ago, just before the dinosaurs!).

To me, that's pretty cosmic, man. Just don't mix it with Advil.

#85 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 24 August 2007 - 08:17 AM

Chinese monks preserved it through the last Ice Age

um, the most recent ice age ended about 10,000 years ago
well before writing, china and monks even existed.

#86 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• OG VIP
  • 10,841 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 24 August 2007 - 08:22 AM

People who lived in what is now China and were somehow disciplined and stable enough to preserve a species of tree through an Ice Age, then.

#87 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 24 August 2007 - 08:25 AM

IF they did
no one was able to record it
as there was no written language yet
c. 7500 BC — Beginning of the Pengtoushan culture in China.
according to wiki
in 8000 BC the people in that area were barely two steps out of their caves,
living in small scattered communities that were just beginning to learn agriculture.
you refer to 'monks'-
of what religious discipline ?
btw the ice age ENDED in 8000 BC,
it began tens of thousands of years earlier,
when the people were even more primitive.

there was no civilization to care for the plant thru the entire ice age
that began 70,000 years ago and ended 10,000 years ago.
[ actually ginko was pretty much gone except in central china by 2 million years ago.]

#88 Myc

Myc

El Jardinero

• App Administrator
  • 6,315 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 01 September 2007 - 03:18 PM

TV,
I'm finally catching the bus here and tried your tek. Very simple and not as time consuming as other teks. I find this method of storage desirable because it appears "innocent" and doesn't readily arouse suspicion.
I took the dry ingredients (with the addition of gensing, rose hips, and cayenne pepper) and blended them together with the dried fruit bodies. I heated the honey on low power in the microwave and poured it over the dry powder which I had loaded into a measuring cup for mixing. Thanks for the competent weight meaurement (185g).
I find that the recipe, without the addition of the cayenne pepper, has a distinctive "shroomey" aftertaste. The pepper wipes that taste out quite nicely for those of you who like spicey foods. Also, I was unable to find ginko leaf powder so I simply bought dried leaves and powdered them in the coffee grinder myself.

You sir, are the man! :eusa_clap

Thanks for the great tek.

#89 Jake420

Jake420

The Mycoman

• Expired Member
  • 313 posts

Posted 04 September 2007 - 12:14 AM

About halfway through reading the first page I was thinking to myself, "What if someone were to combine the everclear extraction technique with this honey storage technique?"

Awesome man, great minds think alike. :D

#90 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• OG VIP
  • 10,841 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 September 2007 - 12:09 PM

Awesome man, great minds think alike. :D

God help anyone who's mind thinks like mine!

Seriously, thanks for all the props. BTW: evaporating everclear extract in straight honey needs some more work. the everclear needs to be super-filtered first I think, since it made the honey a creamy colored solid at room temp (and didn't taste too good). So, the R&D continues...

#91 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• OG VIP
  • 10,841 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 September 2007 - 12:18 PM

there was no civilization to care for the plant thru the entire ice age
that began 70,000 years ago and ended 10,000 years ago.
[ actually ginko was pretty much gone except in central china by 2 million years ago.]

I'm sorry, I should have been more precise- I forgot to add the word "little" to Ice Age, which does dramatically alter the nature of the claim. I'd forgotten some of the details since I recalled it from memory, and it was an old memory! Brain fart, in other words.

So, I had been referring to the Little Ice Age, which was a big enough deal to warrant the extra protection, but not so bad as to wipe out civilization, and happened very recently.

#92 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 04 September 2007 - 12:21 PM

indeed,
the little ice age only ended about 150 years ago, only lasted a few centuries.
even less in some areas.
huge difference.

#93 Jake420

Jake420

The Mycoman

• Expired Member
  • 313 posts

Posted 05 September 2007 - 08:27 AM

God help anyone who's mind thinks like mine!

Yikes! I retract my statement! Hehe :D

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!