• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 insight

insight

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 824 posts

Posted 15 February 2005 - 04:38 PM

I know most of us here have PC's, however, I for one have no clue how to correctly can fresh fruit... Let me explain.
So my fiance and I go shopping, load up on fruit and vegetables, realized we bought too much fruit when we got home. She says, "well since you always use that pressure cooker for your hobbie, why not put it to use for what it was originally intended for".
I draw a blank. Now I could sterilize, needles, syringes, jars, lids, bags, etc, but have no clue how to properly can/jar fresh fruit for storage.
My intentions: Cutting up pears, oranges, apples, grapes, etc (kind of like fruit cocktail), put them in quart jars and store them away. What do I use for the juice? Dextrose, Karo, Store bought juice???

#2 Guest_the_*

Guest_the_*

Posted 15 February 2005 - 04:46 PM

Heh, that's a good one.....oh my god, you're serious. http://www.ext.nodak...ods/he174w.h tm

This is a good place to learn about the wonders of home canning and how it won Napoleon the civil war. http://foodsafety.ca...nningguide.html

(Message edited by nicholas on February 15, 2005)

#3 cutty

cutty

Gone Fishin'

• Expired Member
  • 1,654 posts

Posted 15 February 2005 - 05:25 PM

<blockquote><hr size=0><!-quote-!><font size=1>quote:</font>

why not put it to use for what it was originally intended for".
I draw a blank. Now I could sterilize, needles, syringes, jars, lids, bags, etc, but have no clue how to properly can/jar fresh fruit for storage.
<!-/quote-!><hr size=0></blockquote>Thx for asking this question bro...Im in the same boat.

#4 insight

insight

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 824 posts

Posted 15 February 2005 - 05:29 PM

You know, its funny, we have the units for myco-usage, but when its time to save some jelly or sauce, forget it!

#5 Guest_the_*

Guest_the_*

Posted 15 February 2005 - 07:30 PM

See, if you guys had your women properly trained like I have mine, she would know to keep her trap shut and go wash my jars while fixing dinner.

Of course she's probably reading this and is going to kick my ass when I get home while she makes me scrub the kitchen floor. Sometimes I hate women.

#6 cutty

cutty

Gone Fishin'

• Expired Member
  • 1,654 posts

Posted 15 February 2005 - 08:36 PM

<blockquote><hr size=0><!-quote-!><font size=1>quote:</font>

You know, its funny, we have the units for myco-usage, but when its time to save some jelly or sauce, forget it!<!-/quote-!><hr size=0></blockquote>Not only that all our canning jars have holes (for noccing up) in em!!! Posted Image

#7 insight

insight

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 824 posts

Posted 15 February 2005 - 08:42 PM

The link slide posted is good info. So tomorrow I run to the store to pick up absorbic acid and start canning

#8 Guest_rodger_*

Guest_rodger_*

Posted 15 February 2005 - 10:15 PM

Off topic, but if you want a killer pork roast, brown it in a cast iron skillet of bacon grease, then place in pc at 15 lbs for two hours.

#9 Lazlo

Lazlo

old hand

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 7,620 posts

Posted 15 February 2005 - 10:21 PM

Oh man! I love me some swine! Posted Image

#10 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 18 February 2005 - 03:36 PM

i've used my pc to cook a few things,
but not jelly.
that's alot of work prepping the fruit.
let us know how it goes

#11 anticheffy

anticheffy

Nice to be back in the air !

• OG VIP
  • 1,404 posts

Posted 18 February 2005 - 07:07 PM

lol.......most boxes of canning jars have simple canning recipes on a sheet in the box...
at least they used to.....
it funny, I got 200 mason jars in my house and I dont know how to can a jar of jam.....

I could be wrong but I think if youre just doing fruits and veggies you only need to hot pac it, a meat product of any kind needs to by pressure canned.

Mom'll smack me if I am wrong, hope not......

oh yea, and all the holes in the lids like was said above

hehe

#12 destroy_erase_improve

destroy_erase_improve

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 2,167 posts

Posted 18 February 2005 - 09:36 PM

i also dont know how to properly do it. but i remember reading how to use my pc correctly, and vaugely remember it saying something to the effect of : if food is not canned properly it can cause severe sickness. lol thats not good.

good luck man

#13 insight

insight

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 824 posts

Posted 19 February 2005 - 10:07 AM

I know, that would suck if I pack all this fruit, 3 days later.... dead.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!