• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 sleepwalker

sleepwalker

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 414 posts

Posted 23 March 2005 - 08:20 PM

ok never used spawn bags thinking of giving it a try with rye grass seed.im more use to jars so are there any sugestions on this.is there any tricks with getting the moisture right or do i use the same water/seed ratio as in jars.any info would be greatly apreciated.....peace.....

#2 Guest_golly_*

Guest_golly_*

Posted 23 March 2005 - 10:11 PM

Rye grass hydration requires a different method than grains because of the tiny seed size but good results can be had by soaking 12hrs and drain for another 12-18 hrs .This long drain time is to allow the swelling seed to absorb the remaining trapped moisture .
The other way is to premeasure the water/seed as described in Rodger's Tec for RG.

#3 destroy_erase_improve

destroy_erase_improve

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 2,167 posts

Posted 23 March 2005 - 10:13 PM

just out of curiosity, what made you decide to switch from jars to bags?

#4 highflyer

highflyer

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 423 posts

Posted 23 March 2005 - 10:49 PM

Bags are definately the way to go. The reason to switch would be to get a greater amount of spawn with less work.

You can prepare the grains to go in bags using the same method you would for jars....unless you are using the PC hydration method where you add water to jars.

My favorite mix for bags is 50/50 WBS/Popcorn.

#5 sleepwalker

sleepwalker

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 414 posts

Posted 23 March 2005 - 11:21 PM

i only use seed ive tryed it all and its the best imo.as far as the switch highflyer got it right also the its cheaper than glass and you get more spawn wit less work....right on just talked to rodger and he said that the ratios for water/seed are the same for bags....peace...

#6 sleepwalker

sleepwalker

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 414 posts

Posted 23 March 2005 - 11:22 PM

wait highflyer why 50/50wbs and pcorn.ive never tryed it.enlighten me...

#7 highflyer

highflyer

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 423 posts

Posted 23 March 2005 - 11:28 PM

WBS alone colonizes too slow.
Adding 50% corn speeds it up considerably.

#8 sleepwalker

sleepwalker

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 414 posts

Posted 15 April 2005 - 05:56 PM

ok ok ok went to aplace to get grass seed and these pigeons wanted 750 or better for the seed for the amount i wanted.i think im going with high flyers advice and using pcorn mixed with bird seed for my bags..but would that attract critters for an outdoor grow...i figured if im diggin a hole and i have a good casing layer the animals would stay clear even if using pcorn mixed with bird seed.just a thought but there is no way in hell im paying 750 or over for the grass seed.i was informed there was a cheaper place and i went there last time but it was far far away they had a much lower price but for the amount that i need i think itll still cost some....hmmm just thought id through myself out there for a hot minute....peace...

#9 Guest_thafunkyone_*

Guest_thafunkyone_*

Posted 15 April 2005 - 09:30 PM

what kind of grass sed you lookin for?
I paid 10 bucks for a big bag of rye grass seed..not real big but 10 lb..didn' think it was too bad

#10 Guest_lost_onabbey_rd_*

Guest_lost_onabbey_rd_*

Posted 15 April 2005 - 10:44 PM

wow man... what did you ask for a metric ton? i get 10lb bags at Home depot for $7..
LOST

#11 elixir

elixir

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 126 posts

Posted 16 April 2005 - 12:20 AM

Maybe they thought it was like those grass seed squares you start lawns with. That would make more sense maybe? Maybe not.

Too much weed tonight. *sigh*

#12 sleepwalker

sleepwalker

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 414 posts

Posted 16 April 2005 - 10:04 AM

no i wanted 250 lbs of the grass seed. there outa there mind they had 25 lb bags for seventy dollars i would need like ten of them so so thats 750$.im goin to go check out some outher places today its worth the travel so.it was just i was told this one place had the goods and it turns out they just rip people off.peace..

#13 Guest_lost_onabbey_rd_*

Guest_lost_onabbey_rd_*

Posted 16 April 2005 - 11:33 AM

man the lowes by my mom's house had 50lb bags for $12... no way i would have used it so i got a smaller bag, 10lbs, at HD for $7... even if you went with those it would only be $175 for 250lbs... i'm guessing the guy misunderstood what it was you wanted... ask them for plain untreated rye grass seed... i'm sure some place like home depot or lowes will order it for you if you ask them..
LOST

#14 Guest_golly_*

Guest_golly_*

Posted 16 April 2005 - 01:21 PM

How u gonna sterilize all that seed Sleepwalker???

#15 sleepwalker

sleepwalker

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 414 posts

Posted 16 April 2005 - 09:53 PM

sterilize it with spawn bags in an all american pc.will take some time but worth it.yeah i went other places and found it allot cheaper i could not believe what i was hearing at that store.well backto work see you all around.peace..

#16 tianming

tianming

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 34 posts

Posted 17 April 2005 - 10:51 AM

Were you planning on burying this outside after colonizing? Curious. :D

#17 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• 40,568 posts

Posted 18 April 2005 - 09:28 AM

that's a lot of seed
but at least it's the right time of year
to look,
many stores with it
but for the weight
i'd sure try to find a local source
else shipping would kill ya.
is there perchance a Planters Seeds store nearby ?
farm supply ?

#18 sleepwalker

sleepwalker

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 414 posts

Posted 20 April 2005 - 12:21 PM

yeah i found a place that sells it allot cheaper and i mean allot cheaper but i cant for the love of god get the thought outa my head that these pcorn jars arent goona colonize crossing my fingers and praying.

#19 anticheffy

anticheffy

Nice to be back in the air !

• VIP
  • 1,391 posts

Posted 20 April 2005 - 12:27 PM

250 #'s?

that stuff is light as a feather
thats a dumptruck full....lol

#20 Guest_bassplar99_*

Guest_bassplar99_*

Posted 04 May 2005 - 08:16 PM

Hey everyone,
After the switch to the new server I cannot find the thread to Rodger's mixture for grass seed. I remember it used coffe with a pinch of lime, gypsum, and rye grass seed, but I cannot remember for the life of me the ratio of seed to coffee. Does anyone remember? Thanks.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: bags, grass, rye, seed, spawn

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!