32 replies to this topic

#21 Nabby

Nabby

Mushroom Muncher

• Expired Member
  • 508 posts

Donator

Posted 12 June 2007 - 12:01 PM

So now I'm confused... that thread didn't clear anything up for me...the Pan Cambos from the sponsors... if they're not Cambodginiensis, then what are they?

#22 prankster239

prankster239

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 382 posts

Posted 12 June 2007 - 12:12 PM

So now I'm confused... that thread didn't clear anything up for me...the Pan Cambos from the sponsors... if they're not Cambodginiensis, then what are they?

i would say Panaeolus Cyanescens from Cambodia

#23 Workman

Workman

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 667 posts

Posted 13 June 2007 - 12:49 PM

Thanks Prankster. The exact identities of the Copelandian Panaeolii in circulation are mostly undetermined. And its not suprising why. The differences between the species is subtle and mostly microscopic and several of the main species descriptions are not in English. And there is conflicting information on what exactly seperates one species from another. Even descriptions from different authors based on the exact same herbarium material isn't identical. To make matters worse, I am finding samples with features of more than one described species in the same mushroom. The best I can do is to document everything, match species where possible and leave the less typical samples as undetermined.

I am putting a great deal of time into figuring this out and I am slowly making progress. But for the average grower this is all academic. The Copelandia is a well defined group that is easily seperated from the rest of the Panaeolus. It is only the finer divisions between the species of Copelandia that is complicated. There is no obvious coorelation between the different species and how well they perform in culture. Unless you are a taxonomic fanatic like myself, you should make purchases based on performance in culture and not on species.

Hopefully, within the next few months, I'll have a rough draft of everything one needs to know to identify the Copelandia. Something I am finding helpful is placing every image I can find in the literature and my own microscopy at the same scale in a chart. Here is an very early, very incomplete and much reduced example. Gaps will be filled, measurements and sample documentation information will be added as well as a list of references. The samples will also be reordered in some more logical order.

One curious sample in the chart is Hawaii 073 which has greenish Pleurocystidia, something noted as taxonomically significant for P. chlorocystis, but that species has exclusively 2-spored basidia and smaller spores.

Attached Thumbnails

• tropicalis.jpg
  • Copelandia image comparisons updated copy.jpg

#24 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 13 June 2007 - 12:54 PM

where is this species native ?

#25 Workman

Workman

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 667 posts

Posted 13 June 2007 - 01:16 PM

where is this species native ?

P. chlorocystis is described from Florida. So far, I have not seen any 2-spored species of Copelandia in any samples. A complicating factor documented by Ola'h (1969) is that 4-spored collections can spontaneously become 2-spored when cultivated. Isn't that just great?

I am working with Gerhardt's (1996) list of the (subgenus) Copelandia as it seems to be the best currently available. He only recognizes 8 good species.

2-spore

P. chlorocystis
P. bisporus
P. tirunelveliensis

4-spored (may have occasional 2-spored basidia)

P. cyanescens
P. tropicalis
P. cambodginiensis
P. affinis
P. lentisporus

#26 prankster239

prankster239

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 382 posts

Posted 13 June 2007 - 02:38 PM

A complicating factor documented by Ola'h (1969) is that 4-spored collections can spontaneously become 2-spored when cultivated. Isn't that just great?

The Panaeolus Stealth Kit :amazed:

Workman (and all others) it is really cool that you spent so much time and energy into the taxonomie of our loved mushroom species.

#27 eatyualive

eatyualive

ExoCannibalist

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 6,153 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 18 September 2007 - 09:43 PM

awesome pics. they look very similar to the pan cabmodg. that i grew out a few years ago. did the caps turn dark blue by chance? check out my gallery there are some pics of pan cambos i grew out. very blue without a touch. when they dried. they became a blue black color. like inky color.

#28 mycot

mycot

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 376 posts

Posted 20 September 2007 - 09:24 PM

.Workman (and all others) it is really cool that you spent so much time and energy into the taxonomie of our loved mushroom species.

:bow:
I feel that a lot more work needs to be done with this genus before we really know whats going on.
There have been a couple posts at the Shroomery(from Australia) mentioning finding up to twelve new species/varieties over the course of a season.
I can confirm through my own experience that this is indeed the case.

#29 Workman

Workman

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 667 posts

Posted 23 September 2007 - 10:33 PM

I received the "pan cambo" spores and they germinated well but I failed to fruit them. I will have to start again.

#30 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 23 September 2007 - 10:37 PM

:(

#31 prankster239

prankster239

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 382 posts

Posted 24 September 2007 - 06:18 AM

I received the "pan cambo" spores and they germinated well but I failed to fruit them. I will have to start again.

Good to hear workman is also only a human and had the same problems like every other grower :amazed:

I hope next time they fruit.

#32 spacecake

spacecake

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 4,563 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 24 September 2007 - 11:40 AM

Hmmm Cambo,doesn't always fruit here too,funny strain.

#33 eatyualive

eatyualive

ExoCannibalist

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 6,153 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 27 November 2007 - 12:16 PM

Hmmm Cambo,doesn't always fruit here too,funny strain.

its finicky sometimes. agreed. put it to lc's and no growth. may have to get some agar...

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!