Paradox
©
Fisana

Photo
* * * * * 2 votes

Super fast and effective wbs/grain technique.

• Please log in to reply
63 replies to this topic

#1 Lazlo

Lazlo

old hand

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 7,620 posts

Posted 09 June 2007 - 10:42 AM

First, you'll want to measure out how much seed you'll need by filling a jar to be used up 1/2 way with dry seed. Then add the seed to a pot to be used for soaking it with. You'll need a lid for the pot that fits snug as well. After the seed has been added to the pot, sprinkle some hydrated lime or gypsum across the surface of the seed. Not much, just enough to lightly cover the dry seed. This step isn't necessary, but the lime or gypsum adds calcium and adds a greasy coating to the seed so it separates easier once cooked and colonized. I used too much in this photo, 1/2 of that is fine. I was tilted a bit when I did this. :lol:

graintek 001.jpg

Then add hot tap water to the pot until the seed is barely submerged. There will be a few floaters, but don't worry with them. You only need to add enough hot water to the pot so the seed's barely covered. About an 1/8 of an inch of standing water. Then quickly stir the contents for a second and put the pot's lid on.

graintek 003.jpg

graintek 002.jpg

graintek 004.jpg

Anywhere from 1-3 hours later, the seed will have swelled up above the water line like this.

graintek 005.jpg

Then you know your seed has absorbed a good amount of water, but the time it takes to do that isn't near enough to put the seed at maximum water holding capacity. So just leave it at that, because the rinse and short drain time will add more water to it while it's being cooked.
So put your seed in a collander and rinse the hell out of it. Rinse it very well so all of the excess lime or gypsum is gone.

graintek 006.jpg

After the rinse, simply shake out the excess water from the rinse and allow the collander 15 or so minutes to sit and drain. After the 15 or so minutes is up, shake the collander to see if any drips of water are comming from the bottom of it. If so, allow it some more time to drain. You want NO drips comming from the bottom of the collander while your shaking it downward. If there's no drips comming from it, simply stir all of the seed up well in the collander so all of the excess water that's on the hulls of the seed can be spread evenly throughout the seed. Then immediately load up your jars to around 2/3 full until all of your seed is gone.

graintek 007.jpg

Then simply pressure cook your jars for 105 minutes @ 15psi. Once the time's up, allow the cooker some time to cool down and then take your jars out once they can be handled. Take your time, don't try messing around with super hot jars.

graintek 009.jpg

Once the jars have cooled down on the counter top for a bit so you can handle them, go ahead and give them a light tap on your palm to shake the seed up. Give them a nice swirl and then allow them to completely cool down. Once completely cooled down, give them another nice shake and swirl until the jars look like this. Perfect and ready to be inoculated.

graintek 008.jpg

Edited by Sidestreet, 08 October 2016 - 09:05 AM.

• Erkee likes this

#2 Lazlo

Lazlo

old hand

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 7,620 posts

Posted 09 June 2007 - 01:57 PM

Something else, if you're only using enough seed for a quart jar or 2, use a pot that's smaller so the seed is deeper in it. This way it holds it's heat longer. You may have to drain off the cooled down water after 1.5 hours to replenish it with more hot water. 3 hours maximum time no matter how much seed. Period. It's easy and super fast! Flawless as well if you follow my drain advice.

#3 Quine

Quine

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 163 posts

Posted 09 June 2007 - 03:09 PM

Excellent laz!!! I am going to do this method for my next. TY!

#4 bullfrog

bullfrog

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 192 posts

Posted 09 June 2007 - 05:32 PM

nice job with the tek and pics . keep up the good work laz.:headbang:

#5 deucedbi9

deucedbi9

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 30 posts

Posted 09 June 2007 - 05:38 PM

lazlo

between the:
"Anywhere from 1-3 hours later, the seed will have swelled up above the water line"

and:

"the time it takes to do that isn't near enough to put the seed at maximum water holding capacity... because the rinse and short drain time will add more water to it while it's being cooked. "

am i missing something.
you don't state how long you cook for,or are you referring to the pc run.
are you saying that just rinsing will add more water to the grain?

been doing the same, apart from the soaking for 1-3 hours. i bring to the boil,reduce the heat to the lowest setting (pasteurising temps) for ~45 minuites,or...untill the wheat berries have the texture of bread dough when squeezed between the fingers.
then drip dry for a while and blow dry the grains untill they don't stick to your fingers.

tried the added gypsum part for the first time today,looking forward to the results.

#6 Lazlo

Lazlo

old hand

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 7,620 posts

Posted 09 June 2007 - 07:22 PM

Yes, cooking = pc run. And yes, the excess water on the surface of the grain from the rinse adds to the final moisture content of the grain after it's been pc'd. Try it, it's fast and easy. Plus the grain is a smidge under full moisture holding content so it's perfect every time. No long soaks and no simmers. Perfect every time!

#7 apokalypse

apokalypse

Dr. Durgs

• Expired Member
  • 1,454 posts

Posted 09 June 2007 - 08:02 PM

Will this only work for WBS/rye, what about popcorn?

#8 Sunstar

Sunstar

Gazer of the innerself

• Expired Member
  • 2,031 posts

Posted 09 June 2007 - 08:39 PM

:cool: great tek. So there is no cooking correct except for the pc.
I had seen steam building on pot lid but that must be from the hot water right?

#9 Lazlo

Lazlo

old hand

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 7,620 posts

Posted 09 June 2007 - 09:06 PM

Right, from the hot water. I don't advise in the simmering of whole grain of any sort.

It should work the same as popcorn Apok, but may take a little longer.

I meant to say the technique's for wbs, or any other type of seed that's associated with wbs. Like millet, milo, exc.

#10 Guest_vinz_*

Guest_vinz_*

Posted 11 June 2007 - 07:11 PM

cool tek lazlo!
what is the gypsum and lime for?
would it work the same without it?

#11 Lazlo

Lazlo

old hand

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 7,620 posts

Posted 11 June 2007 - 08:13 PM

Gypsum or lime add calcium for healthy growth and also keep the grain from sticking to one another. Even after colonization, the grain separate easier. I don't get all anal with my grain preparation anymore. I do each and every batch just like this and have yet to have had one single bag or jar fail.

Crap, I guess I should inoculate these jars huh? :lol:
  • alounacara likes this

#12 bb4

bb4

Lurker Extraordinaire

• Free Member
  • 283 posts

Posted 12 June 2007 - 08:59 AM

IMHO for popcorn....

the best method is to use the PC to rehydrate the popcorn, doesn't matter how much corn you use just....

1. dump it in dry
2. fill water to 2 inches above corn and give it a good stir
3. PC for 45-60 min @ 15 psi
4. let pressure release slowly (keeps the kernels from opening up)
5. pack into jars 3/4 full (i like pint wide mouths because the mouth is actually wider than the jar, if you use quart jars you have to break up the colonized corn with a spoon or something)
6. PC again for 60-75 min @ 15 psi (for sterilization)

about the only time i get a contam is because i'm a dumbass and forget to sterilize the needle on the first few jars. the jars grow out in about 9 days from LC and about 16 days from print or spore water

-bb4
  • mushmonkey likes this

#13 Tweexican

Tweexican

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 120 posts

Posted 12 June 2007 - 12:55 PM

Lazlo,

First I must say, great writeup, nice and easy. Secondly, I would like to ask if you use the same procedure with RYE, and if not... what brand of seed do you have there?

#14 Lazlo

Lazlo

old hand

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 7,620 posts

Posted 12 June 2007 - 03:46 PM

I don't use rye. I use the cheapest wild bird seed I can find. Usually a 40# bag of it is around 10 bucks at any major retailer like, HD, Lowes, exc.

Rye grass seed or any grass seed for that matter is really fast and easy too.

#15 GoVols

GoVols

Former Member

• Banned Member
  • 273 posts

Posted 12 June 2007 - 06:26 PM

Speaking of millet, would it be better to use hulled or non hulled millet?

BTW laz, was this what you were talking about on a previous thread?

#16 Freaky

Freaky

Head Editor

• OG VIP
  • 12,357 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 June 2007 - 08:26 PM

:thumbup: Great write up Lazlo!

If doing popcorn, I like to simmer it also after a 24 hour soak. Just seems to hydrate it enough for me before pc'ing. I don't like to hydrate it in my pc, I like to keep the pc clean (im just weird that way)

For WBS I used to do it this way, you explain here, but then found a different way that suits me.

I'll have to try the addition of gypsum and lime sometime, I've yet to try that.

Thanks for sharing this, its great to have pictorials!

#17 Lazlo

Lazlo

old hand

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 7,620 posts

Posted 12 June 2007 - 08:50 PM

Speaking of millet, would it be better to use hulled or non hulled millet?

BTW laz, was this what you were talking about on a previous thread?

Yes, use non-hulled millet. Hulled stuff would turn into mush after a cooking. Too much exposed starches.

I think I mentioned it in another thread actually.

This way works great. Give it a try, you won't be disappointed.

#18 Lazlo

Lazlo

old hand

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 7,620 posts

Posted 17 July 2007 - 08:08 AM

Here's the jars finished up.

grain 001.jpg

Edited by Sidestreet, 08 October 2016 - 09:05 AM.

#19 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 17 July 2007 - 09:09 AM

did you skake those any ?
took awhile to finish, wondering.

#20 Lazlo

Lazlo

old hand

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 7,620 posts

Posted 17 July 2007 - 09:20 AM

No shaking and it took me a few days after cooking the jars to inoculate them.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!