• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 tobynutz

tobynutz

VIP Member

• Free Member
  • 1,233 posts

Posted 24 March 2005 - 05:12 PM

ok, i was out buying a gift for my mom at the antique store and i stumbled across a 15 1/2 qt aa pc:). the lady told me $20 and its mine. of course i bought it lol, im using a dinky 6 qt presto. but how do i use it? the gauge looks new, the handle and clamps ae all in pretty good condition. there is no visible warpage in the metal. just needs a good polish. what is the jiggler on top and how do i use it???? the little metal switch thingy that can be stood straight up or laying down.

Attached Thumbnails

• Picture 233.jpg
  • Picture 231.jpg

#2 shedthemonkey

shedthemonkey

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 1,455 posts

Posted 24 March 2005 - 05:15 PM

I suggest you carefully experiment. get some steam going and see what the pressure guage says. dont let it go over 15psi. it might become apparent that one way is open and another way on that jiggler is a certain pressure. good luck. :) be safe and keep an eye on it!

#3 python

python

Former Member

• Banned Member
  • 2,655 posts

Posted 24 March 2005 - 05:33 PM

looks like you came up on a nice deal............

i would first check that your steam outlet is clear from obstruction, and check that all seals are in good condition (no cracks etc) and then i would fill it with about 1-1.5 inches of water empty for a test........put the lid on it and run the heat.........(i dont now if this model has a weight for your steam outlet because i can not see one) but if it has a weight, you will put it on the steam outlet after a small steady stream of steam is coming out, with the weight on just sit back and watch the guage......i like 14.9 psi for pf jars(which is where the wieht moves very little but no rattling).........if the wieght is rattling, you've probably gone over 15psi and if its rattling hard the machine is getting unsafe.......

but none-the-less, be careful, you never know how f'd-up that guage is, but if its accurate then you got yourself "THE DEAL OF THE DAY"

peace

#4 cutty

cutty

Gone Fishin'

• Expired Member
  • 1,654 posts

Posted 24 March 2005 - 05:52 PM

Damn you got a steal man,great find.I dont have a AA PC so I cant give ya advice but good luck with your new PC.:)

#5 tobynutz

tobynutz

VIP Member

• Free Member
  • 1,233 posts

Posted 24 March 2005 - 07:39 PM

its heating up now:) i gave it a lil scrub but it is still very old looking lol oh well, if this works, i will have a 6qt presto up for trade:)

#6 cutty

cutty

Gone Fishin'

• Expired Member
  • 1,654 posts

Posted 24 March 2005 - 07:40 PM

Its kinda like moving from a shack to a mansion eh bro....:)

#7 tobynutz

tobynutz

VIP Member

• Free Member
  • 1,233 posts

Posted 24 March 2005 - 07:45 PM

ok, i did a test run, but shit was leaking from the sides. i didnt put the clamps on too tight cuz i didnt want to break em. should i just turn em with all my might and see what happens???

#8 highflyer

highflyer

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 423 posts

Posted 24 March 2005 - 08:03 PM

Place a thin layer of petroleum jelly on the inside where the metal to metal seal is. That should help with the leaking sides. Also make sure the lid is even on all sides.

#9 tobynutz

tobynutz

VIP Member

• Free Member
  • 1,233 posts

Posted 24 March 2005 - 08:07 PM

problem fixed.....i think:) im at 11 psi and no leaks right now

#10 python

python

Former Member

• Banned Member
  • 2,655 posts

Posted 24 March 2005 - 09:15 PM

yes the jelly will work, but i am not the kind of guy to mess around with high pressure devices that have leaks.....the safest advice would be to get the seal replaced...

but i am not looking at the pc either and i don't know how small the leaks are, but IMO, if my pc gets any leaks, it is bordering dangerous, so i get the seal replaced or i buy another.........

peace and good luck, stay safe......

#11 destroy_erase_improve

destroy_erase_improve

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 2,167 posts

Posted 25 March 2005 - 01:37 AM

i know the new AA are metal to metal seals
does this one have a rubber seal for the inside?

and dont worry about polishing it
keep the vintage look
its more becoming of it

#12 tobynutz

tobynutz

VIP Member

• Free Member
  • 1,233 posts

Posted 25 March 2005 - 01:54 PM

python, the leaking was because i didnt tighten the wingnutz all the way down because i dint want to break them. after i retightened them, i t went a lil past 15 psi and it was all fine an dandy. thanks for the help everyone:)

#13 cutty

cutty

Gone Fishin'

• Expired Member
  • 1,654 posts

Posted 25 March 2005 - 02:04 PM

Glad ya got her going Bro :) ...Now lets see her full o' jars ;) .

#14 tobynutz

tobynutz

VIP Member

• Free Member
  • 1,233 posts

Posted 25 March 2005 - 04:35 PM

i am gonna stock up on some quart jars and grains. prolly just rye, because it is my favorite thus far. i will get some pics up soon hopefully. with qt jars i will finally be able to start some nice size projects. im gonna have straw baskets stashed all over the house lol.

#15 Guest_pissybee_*

Guest_pissybee_*

Posted 26 March 2005 - 05:21 AM

Okay, this is the proper way to do it.. Put in water and make sure you vaseline the metal to metal seal every four uses, or else it can be a bitch to open up. Make sure you tighten the lid on evenly twisting opposite clamps at the same time so the seal is evenly clamped.. That little knob that can stand up or lay down in the right side of the second pic, sits up until you hear or see a tad of steam, then you lay it down and it seals, the PC. You should then see the temp rising(of course you should have put it on the burner on high to heat up, but I forgot to mention that, although it's pretty obvious)... As it continues to heat, after you closed that little knob, the pressure starts to build... When it reaches 15psi, I'd back the heat down to about medium, but it'll take a lil practice till you can see it staying at 15psi, I suggest marking that notch on your stove dial for easier use next time... Then start timing when it's at 15psi.. PC for allotted time then kill heat and wait for the pressure to drop. When it drops to below 0, then I open that knob(that should make the needle pressure go to 0) and unclamp the twist clamps to the lid... If it sticks, I have noticed that tightening one clamp on one side can help loosen it and pop the seal... If you have any questions, or this isn't clear enough, feel free to ask...

#16 Odin 13

Odin 13

Exciteable Boy!

• Expired Member
  • 136 posts

Posted 26 March 2005 - 10:01 AM

Pisy bee's description is pretty much right on the mark. The only thing I can add is that I use the little flip lever for pressure adjustments, but believe me raw steam can/will burn you in the bat of an eye. The little lever device also screws on so if you can get it loosened, (they freeze up over time) unscrew it at the end of the pressurazation cycle until the pressure begins to bleed off at a minimal rate (a slow hiss). Do not get overzealous because a rapid change of pressure is NOT advised . As the pressure is released, the liquids return to a boil, and such things as agar, if not half filled in a large container, will boil over. Rapid pressure changes are also strenuous on your cooker and canning jars causing them to often break. This method of pressure relief can result in the introduction of contaminated air back into the cooker, pissy's method is reccommended if this bothers you. An evenly tightened lid does not need overtorqing of the clamps, a little past finger tight (a very small amount past) will suffice. Don't bother with a polish, it will very quickly discolor the next time you use it. Another reminder for those with the glass cooking surface stoves, the weight of a large pressure cooker can exceed the safety weight levels of the glass and break the cooking surface, you have been warned. An alternative to stoves is the propane cookers that come with the turkey fryers, be safe and use these devices outdoors only! Wallyworld often has the turkey fryers on clearence this time of year as there is little demand for them right now.

#17 tobynutz

tobynutz

VIP Member

• Free Member
  • 1,233 posts

Posted 27 March 2005 - 09:19 PM

thanks everyone. i think i have it mostly figured out.

#18 Guest_freakachino_*

Guest_freakachino_*

Posted 29 March 2005 - 01:24 AM

Great Post! I happened by a AA PC too. It didn't have a manual or a rack, I ran a test and mine worked great for being so old too. I love it so much more than my mirro. Pissybee, thanks for the detailed operating description. Wish I had had it a few months ago, but I went for a test and figured my homeowners would cover a blown up kitchen! :)
So some reccommend vaseline? Makes sense with the way the metal seals. I may try that. :) I'm getting ready to heat mine up now for some syringes and karo. What fun they are.

#19 Guest_pissybee_*

Guest_pissybee_*

Posted 29 March 2005 - 06:58 PM

Every four uses it is recommended you put vaseline on the metal seal...

#20 LaughingDog

LaughingDog

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 138 posts

Posted 29 March 2005 - 08:19 PM

That's a beast! Congrats on your find!

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!