246 replies to this topic

#21 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 08 April 2007 - 08:45 AM

they worked,
you just have the wrong numbers for those.
i'll fix.

#22 reverend trips

reverend trips

Former Member

• Banned Member
  • 2,349 posts

Posted 08 April 2007 - 08:48 AM

Ahh that explains it, I had all that typed out and pics loaded, got busy with something else and hit the backspace button on my keyboard and the whole page went back for some reason. I had to retype the whole thing and must of loaded the pics from the first try.

Thanks for fixing:)

#23 fahtster

fahtster

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 1,713 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 April 2007 - 10:51 AM

nice experiment, rev! :thumbup:

should prove very interesting. :)

fahtster

#24 reverend trips

reverend trips

Former Member

• Banned Member
  • 2,349 posts

Posted 09 April 2007 - 05:32 PM

Every single rye jar is growing healthy looking myc.

Spores are germinating on the jar inoculated with a spore syringe-

This is pretty freak'n cool:headbang:

Attached Thumbnails

• DSC00852.JPG

#25 the_chosen_one

the_chosen_one

electro gypsy

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 8,113 posts

Donator

Posted 09 April 2007 - 05:48 PM

:headbang:

#26 Nabby

Nabby

Mushroom Muncher

• Expired Member
  • 508 posts

Donator

Posted 09 April 2007 - 06:35 PM

This is really fascinating, and I'm impressed. The only problem I see is that it's not exactly an organic product at this point, which I know some people around here make a fuss about, like the Banrot issue I've read about in a few threads. Still, if I can enjoy a late night drive through from ... the world's leading fast food burger chain, it's obvious I'm not too worried about the chemicals I'm consuming, so anything that would help my mushies grow safe and healthy get's a big :cool: in my book. Props to you!

#27 smilinjack

smilinjack

Mycophiliac

• OG VIP
  • 376 posts

Posted 09 April 2007 - 07:27 PM

Well done. I'm going to try this WBS. I always seem to have problems with wet-spot in my WBS jars. I'll post some pics and more info in about a week.

#28 spacecowboy

spacecowboy

in a major life change-jj

• Expired Member
  • 910 posts

Posted 10 April 2007 - 04:23 AM

Salicylic Acid...

Also known as Aspirin, naturally derived from the bark of Willow trees (now made synthetically from what I recall).

Wicked experiment.

Interesting Link

#29 Lazlo

Lazlo

old hand

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 7,620 posts

Posted 10 April 2007 - 10:30 AM

Ahhh! Good thinking Trips.

You should change the thread title to have no-pc in it or something.

:bow:

#30 Nabby

Nabby

Mushroom Muncher

• Expired Member
  • 508 posts

Donator

Posted 10 April 2007 - 11:06 AM

Very close, spacecowboy, but not entirely correct. Aspirin is acetylsalicylic acid C9H8O4 also called 2-acetoxybenzioc acid. Salicylic acid C6H4(OH)CO2H also called 2-Hydroxybenzoic acid can be obtained from Willow trees, and is chemically similar to but not identical to Aspirin. Aspirin (acetylsalicylic acid or ASA) can be prepared by the esterification of the phenolic hydroxyl group of salicylic acid, retaining some of its potency as an analgesic as well as reducing its acidity. That said, I'm curious to know the pH of the dish soap being used and it's effect on the grains being used, being that the active compound is an acid, and considering that some people using Calcium Hydroxide Ca(OH)2, Hydrated lime, which is a medium strength base to change the pH of a substrate.

#31 MurCurY

MurCurY

I.Know.All

• OG VIP
  • 1,322 posts

Posted 10 April 2007 - 11:18 AM

::looks out window::

I have a willow right there!
hmm...i think a willow tea soak might be in order....

#32 Nabby

Nabby

Mushroom Muncher

• Expired Member
  • 508 posts

Donator

Posted 10 April 2007 - 11:26 AM

Willow is a hardwood, and might be worth trying the wood chips for some wood lovers. Maybe when I get around to growing azures, I'll try some on that.

i think a willow tea soak might be in order....

We may be able to make an organic version of this idea yet!

#33 MurCurY

MurCurY

I.Know.All

• OG VIP
  • 1,322 posts

Posted 10 April 2007 - 12:33 PM

so...this chemical is in the bark right? or do i need a few branches?

#34 Nabby

Nabby

Mushroom Muncher

• Expired Member
  • 508 posts

Donator

Posted 10 April 2007 - 01:02 PM

From that interesting link that cowboy posted earlier:

Native Americans and early settlers used willow bark for toothaches and applied it to the source of other pains. But they also recognized that you can actually grow a whole new tree by taking a stem and sticking it in moist soil. The hormones in willows cause rapid rooting, and they discovered these same hormones could induce rooting in other plants, too.

To harness this power, they made a tonic called “willow water” by collecting willow twigs, trimming the leaves, immersing the stems in a pail of water, and pouring the water on newly planted trees, shrubs, and bedding plants. Commercial rooting preparations contain a synthetic form of indolebutyric acid (IBA) and growing tips of willows contain high concentrations of IBA, depending on the quantity used and length of time you soak them. Any willow (Salix) tree or shrub species will work.

Make your own willow water:
Gather about two cups of pencil-thin willow branches cut to 1-3 inch lengths. Steep twigs in a half-gallon of boiling water overnight. Refrigerated liquid kept in a jar with a tight-fitting lid will remain effective up to two months. (Label jar so you won’t confuse it with your homemade moonshine.) Overnight, soak cuttings you wish to root. Or water soil into which you have planted your cuttings with the willow water. Two applications should be sufficient. Some cuttings root directly in a jar of willow water. Make a fresh batch for each use. You can also use lukewarm water and let twigs soak for 24-48 hours.

(Cannabis cloners, this might be useful to you, too!)

#35 reverend trips

reverend trips

Former Member

• Banned Member
  • 2,349 posts

Posted 10 April 2007 - 05:38 PM

Everything is still looking good with the rye.

The popcorn I knocked up the night before last with an lc is showing growth. Hard to see it in the pic, but if you look close enough you can see it. Keep in mind the prep was different with the popcorn than the rye. It needed to be cooked on low heat in soapy water to hydrate. Strained them and loaded the kernels wet and saopy into the jar. After steaming there was a little extra water in the bottom. I will keep a close eye on it.

The soap really lubes up the grains too, no sticking whatsoever.

Attached Thumbnails

• DSC00855.JPG

#36 dial8

dial8

3 Fungi Mod

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 5,730 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 10 April 2007 - 07:34 PM

Wow, rev! I'm very impressed. :bow: Doesn't it seem like the best discoveries are the ones that are staring you right in the face?

Hope you keep getting consistant results!

#37 dr_greenthumb

dr_greenthumb

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 7 posts

Posted 10 April 2007 - 08:22 PM

Very interesting indeed.

#38 Spirit Warrior

Spirit Warrior

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 10 posts

Posted 11 April 2007 - 09:55 AM

Wow.. This idea is almost revolutionary. Think of all the people who are constantly trying to get around using a PC for whatever reason. I once thought of something like this, except my original idea was soaking grains in alcohol, don't know how well that woulda worked..:mistrust:

#39 Guest_SnakeEyes_*

Guest_SnakeEyes_*

Posted 11 April 2007 - 11:36 AM

Your experiments never cease to intrigue me Rev. Badass idea man. Nice to know it can be done with popcorn too. Keep it up man and best of luck. - Snake

#40 Nabby

Nabby

Mushroom Muncher

• Expired Member
  • 508 posts

Donator

Posted 11 April 2007 - 12:48 PM

Not that it looks like you meant it that way, but it sounds like Trips' new nickname is going to be "Reverend Badass-Idea-Man"

:thumbup:

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!