• Please log in to reply
246 replies to this topic

#41 teletrue

teletrue

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 181 posts

Posted 11 April 2007 - 01:01 PM

I'm so glad to see this is working well. I saw the first post you made with the general theory and thought "WOW..what a GREAT idea. I hope it works!"

:-D Good job, and thank you!

#42 Lazlo

Lazlo

old hand

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 7,620 posts

Posted 11 April 2007 - 01:13 PM

I wish I would've known about this when I first started growing mushrooms! I must've went through a ton of wbs. Getting only about a 1/3 of it colonized properly. lol. And a 1/3 is being generous. :lol:

#43 bugs

bugs

Are we having fun yet?

• OG VIP
  • 3,260 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 April 2007 - 02:16 PM

Some cuttings root directly in a jar of willow water.

When I was a kid, I remember that my mother used to dissolve an apirin in the water she used to root African violet and geranium cuttings in. Said it made them root better. I always thought it was an old wives' tale, but maybe not!

#44 StroFun

StroFun

Master Baiter

• Expired Member
  • 501 posts

Posted 11 April 2007 - 02:30 PM

My rooting hormone powder was pretty feckin cheap as it is.
Don't know how effective it is yet, we will see if i can keep my first sally cutting alive. If so i should have at least 6 plants by fall.

#45 Akira

Akira

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 11 posts

Posted 11 April 2007 - 03:16 PM

This is a great idea.

Have you tried this with WBS yet?

#46 reverend trips

reverend trips

Former Member

• Banned Member
  • 2,349 posts

Posted 11 April 2007 - 06:28 PM

Have you tried this with WBS yet?

I havn't, only because I don't have any here. Only reason I had popcorn was because the missus got some at Christmas to string up with cranberries around the tree. I do plan on picking some up and trying it.

Everything is going as I'd hoped so far. I will update with pics tomorrow.

Thanks for all the props guys!

#47 pindulinka

pindulinka

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 51 posts

Posted 12 April 2007 - 01:06 AM

Thanks rev so much, this is an amazing thread. K++
Pressure cooker is too expensive for me at tax time
pin

#48 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• 14,635 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 April 2007 - 07:38 AM

Great work, Reverend... this is what we're here for! :bow:

This is going to open up a whole new paradigm of experimentation, seems to me, like figuring out how to prep a bunch of straw with it (cold process, indoors, suitable for apartments) or 'stealthify' other methods, among other things. It got my mind working, and that's impressive this early in the morning...

One little thing off topic:
I don't mean to be rude, but I'd appreciate discussions of aspirin or other substances here to be related to preparing grain without a PC for mushroom growing, and discussions about how to clone plants be kept in "Grassroots." Unless I'm mistaken, I think that's how these threads are supposed to work, and I don't want to see this developing idea be diluted with off-topic discussions...:eusa_shif

#49 spacecowboy

spacecowboy

in a major life change-jj

• Expired Member
  • 910 posts

Posted 12 April 2007 - 08:00 AM

One little thing off topic:
I don't mean to be rude, but I'd appreciate discussions of aspirin or other substances here to be related to preparing grain without a PC for mushroom growing, and discussions about how to clone plants be kept in "Grassroots." Unless I'm mistaken, I think that's how these threads are supposed to work, and I don't want to see this developing idea be diluted with off-topic discussions...:eusa_shif

Your not being rude at all; I did not mean to start a tangent. Just made that post because I recall from organic chem that the base pharmacore for aspirin is salicylic acid and it was originally derived from willow bark. Figured that those hardcore naturalist who only go for certified organic might follow up on this brilliant experiment using natural salicylic acid vs dish soap. As for me, certified organic or synthetic makes no difference as long as it gets the job done. Had no idea that it would turn into a cloning/rooting issue.

#50 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 12 April 2007 - 09:03 AM

it's not really
off-topic,
it's just free association.
off-topic would be posting about anna nicole's baby, etc.
but if a thought springs from the discussion
we want to explore that too,
sometimes the tangents are more important in the end
then the original topic.
so plz do not discourage the free association of ideas
merely to preserve some arbitrary artificial format.
we can always split off posts later
once the topic plays out.

#51 Bobcat

Bobcat

Selah!

• Expired Member
  • 3,573 posts

Posted 12 April 2007 - 11:29 AM

So did you guys hear about anna nicoles baby? I guess the dad is....

Sorry. This is AWESOME!!!! Great work/idea rev, it'll really help people and their dry weights out! :eusa_clap Happy to be part of your congregation, Rev!

#52 Nabby

Nabby

Mushroom Muncher

• Expired Member
  • 508 posts

Donator

Posted 12 April 2007 - 02:21 PM

Yes, I as well was making the association for the sake of mushroom organic vs. chemical growing. The part about rooting and cloning plants was in there because I copied the information about and recipe for willow water straight from another site. The intent being that people could use it as an organic alternative in this experiment, and the related plant-oriented responses reaffirmed the already known positive effects of the chemical in question. The suggestion that it might be used for cannabis as well was just a passing thought. Props to the Rev for the initial idea, and spacecowboy for the possibility of an organic alternative.

#53 reverend trips

reverend trips

Former Member

• Banned Member
  • 2,349 posts

Posted 12 April 2007 - 05:10 PM

Still going strong:)
From left to right-
rye jar inoculated with spore syringe, rye jar inoculated with an lc , and the popcorn jar inoculated with an lc .
DSC00860.JPG
I can't get over how fast the popcorn is colonizing. I hear everyone saying how fast it is, but I guess I just had to see for myself. I may have to convert:headbang:

So far so good, but I will not call it a success until I'm sampling fruits. I'll spawn the original fully colonized rye jar to a small ziplock style straw grow. I should get the time sometime this weekend.

Thanks again everyone!

Edited by Sidestreet, 08 October 2016 - 09:17 AM.

#54 Nabby

Nabby

Mushroom Muncher

• Expired Member
  • 508 posts

Donator

Posted 12 April 2007 - 06:12 PM

So I wonder if the Salicylic Acid remains active with keeping out contamination after the cleansing, or is just a pre-sterilization agent? I may have to take this idea a step further and inoculate a couple jars, and leave one open to the air to see how long it takes to contaminate, or if the myc can overgrow the whole jar before infection. If this does in fact make a huge impact, this could open up a whole new world of ease for G2G transfers.

#55 reverend trips

reverend trips

Former Member

• Banned Member
  • 2,349 posts

Posted 12 April 2007 - 06:23 PM

This seems to be effective with bacteria. Not fungi. I would expect you would see green if you were to leave the jar open.

#56 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• 14,635 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 April 2007 - 03:12 PM

Hip, I wasn't talking to spacecowboy, I was referring to the emerging discussion of the hopes and dreams of aspiring gardeners, not the mere mention of aspirin or it's various antibacterial-related uses. My unusually indirect and apologetic wording indicate my hesitancy to say anything in the first place, but being a "Mod" means I'm expected to "do" things, and I thought occasional gentle etiquette reminders was one (as mods have previously reminded me). In other words, I thought I was doing it right. Also, in the future I'll be specific so as to avoid ambiguity about the subject.

spacecowboy: your comment was, imo, totally on topic and kept the pace of thread. No worries, bro!

It's comforting to know that this and all other replies related to my comment can be edited or even plucked and deleted from the thread if it's selected for ar/chiving, especially since my comment has strayed the thread further off-topic than the reply that prompted mine! "Helping out" is funny that way sometimes, and why I don't barge in yelling and lecturing (helps me show less of my ass if I must show it at all).

-------------------------------------------------------------

Anyhow, here's a free association for y'all: incorporating activated charcoal in the process somewhere. It's also anti-bacterial, but doesn't kill so much as trap the bacteria. Somehow combined with Lazlo's salt tek or using grains without a PC (with or without antibacterial soap) or stopping/slowing trich outbreaks on a casing charcoal can probably be a tool in the box or help these other tools work even better. Mycelium is a network and therefore not subject to being held in micro-pores of charcoal whereas single-celled bacteria are single-celled and will be adsorbed and held.

Charcoal and zeolite can be used in reverse, to bring stuff into something as well as remove stuff from it; saturating zeolite or charcoal powder w/ antibacterial soap might distribute it more evenly through the grain or even act as a time-release mechanism for sustained effectiveness.

Then there was the blurb I read about lab tests showing nanoparticles killing bacterial colonies on petri dishes. They were afraid that buckyballs and nanotubes might be harmful particles, but tests in real soil showed no inhibition of soil bacteria. In vitro, nanoparticles might have an antibacterial role. Here's info about one type designed to kill bacteria (magnesium oxide particles):

The nanoparticles have an opposite electrical charge from bacteria. Opposites attract, an unfortunate reality for the bacteria, as the bacteria and nanoparticles are drawn together when they are close.

The nanoparticles have other properties that help it kill bacteria. Their surface has sharp edges that penetrate tough outer shells, such as the one that protects anthrax spores. Anthrax has historically been difficult to kill, because the shell protects it from the environment.

The nanoparticles are bases, not acids. Basic chemicals, such as lye soap, soften the exterior of bacteria. The nanoparticles also "oxidize" bacteria, meaning they damage them by chemically stealing away electrons. Chlorine, which is used to treat water, does the same thing, only less effectively than the nanoparticles.

from http://www.scienceda...20814070458.htm

#57 Guest_Dipole_*

Guest_Dipole_*

Posted 13 April 2007 - 05:07 PM

Wow this is rather exciting!

I read ages ago an article about aspirin and how it works in the body. Mysterious stuff, the one thing do I remember is that the aspirin enters the blood stream after being converted back into salicylic acid for which it was derived.

I wonder if aspirin would work. The lubricant properties of the soap may be too advantageous.

A related compound is potassium benzoate. It is used a food preservative against molds and certain bacteria. It have some of that stuff and sodium salicylate too, both are used to make whistling fireworks. I have had nothing but dismal failures with popcorn maybe this would take the art of handling out of the process. The potassium and sodium salts of these acids are water soluble. Potassium benzoate feels soapy.

As for the organic aspect, all of these compounds can be found in nature. They can also be synthesized and to such a high degree of purity to make the difference between them and natural to be all in ones mind.

#58 Guest_Dipole_*

Guest_Dipole_*

Posted 13 April 2007 - 05:30 PM

If the salicylic acid hasn't been decomposed it would still be there to do its antibacterial thing.

I wonder if adding a small amount to water used for misting might make the casing more robust to contams?

Aspirin can be made soluble in water by dropping a tablet in a glass of water with some baking soda in it. Its fizzies time. Makes Sodium AcetoSalicylate.
BTW, the aceto group (vinegar) is tagged on to make the compound less acidic and easier to swallow.

#59 beebopboy

beebopboy

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 257 posts

Posted 13 April 2007 - 05:36 PM

But we dont know if it'll cause any mutations in the fruits.

We will see...

Awesome experiment :cool:
This is why i call 'topia home.

#60 reverend trips

reverend trips

Former Member

• Banned Member
  • 2,349 posts

Posted 13 April 2007 - 06:31 PM

But we dont know if it'll cause any mutations in the fruits.

Well I'm pretty optimistic that they will be fine.

I dunked a small straw nugget in soapy water the other day and I'm seing normal looking fruits. I will post pics on that tomorrow.

I love how this has sparked many ideas.

You guys rock!

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!