Posted 07 April 2005 - 08:45 AM

Danzig Mother

#44 taoistshredder

taoistshredder

Former Member

• Banned Member
  • 550 posts

Posted 07 April 2005 - 09:02 AM

Green Day's American Idiot - it's pretty good - but it's nothing really all that special I don't think - I don't see how this could get nominated for 9 Grammys while the rest of their shit has been ignored, with the exception of the one they scored for Dookie. Of course, they didn't win anything this last time, did they? And as a life-long Green Day fan (listening to Berkley-based 45s back in the Bay in elementary school...wow...that feels like a lifetime ago...oh, yeah) I've got to say that while this beats out Insomniac and possibly even Nimrod it in no way beats out Dookie and can't hold a fucking flame to Kerplunk!. Any Green Day fans out there? I'm also listening to Eminem's Encore off-and-on - he's one of the few rappers I still listen to - I don't know, I just like what the guy says. And between Dre and him there's not much they can't do beats-wise (which is the real reason to listen, imo). If we're talking real hip hop, I've been listening to mad RJD2 and actually there's this ambient hip hop group called "Boards of Canada" that's pretty hot, album called Geogaddi. Oh and DJ Shadow's Entroducing and Preemptive Strike as well as Q-bert's Wave Twisters. Both of those guys are sick.

#45 cutty

cutty

Gone Fishin'

• Expired Member
  • 1,654 posts

Posted 07 April 2005 - 09:07 AM

Danzig Mother

Havent heard Danzig in a while,bout 10 years or so,I believe.

Now Playing....Eminem, Purple pills. :)

#46 Raptor

Raptor

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 176 posts

Posted 07 April 2005 - 09:13 AM

I do have that lita ford and ozzy video, haha

Tool - Reflection, No Quarter, Undertow, Hooker with a Penis
Any Pink Floyd & Zeppelin
And the four grunge powers, especially Alice In Chains.

Don't even get me started on Green Day...

#47 whitedeath

whitedeath

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 193 posts

Posted 07 April 2005 - 10:10 AM

"I ain't gettin, I ain't gettin, I ain't gettin out of bed today."

On now: Sublime :)

#48 Lefty

Lefty

Arrogant Asshole

• Expired Member
  • 2,333 posts

Posted 07 April 2005 - 10:26 AM

Merciful Fate (did I mispell that, been years but good memories) rips! I always like Sam Hain better than Misfits, saw them both.
Now playing: Eminem, Just Don't Give a Fuck

#49 taoistshredder

taoistshredder

Former Member

• Banned Member
  • 550 posts

Posted 07 April 2005 - 11:10 AM

Oooohhhh, four grunge powers, especially Alice in Chains, I dig. Can't figure them all out, though. Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Alice in Chains, and ...? Who'd I miss?

I'll get you started on Green Day. Green Day - the epitome of sell out, in my opinion, claimed as punk but was never more than pop. However, if you sold out since day one, are you really a "sell out"? That sort of connotates that you were once real and true and then changed your music to sell more of it - I'd argue they've been doing that since day one. In fact, I'd argue every single band on earth has done that since day one. Bands without fans tend to not go anywhere, and while there are talented bands that are inherantly genius and don't give a fuck about their fans or what they want to hear, most of them do, because otherwise they wouldn't be a band that is listened to. It is difficult to argue with music that is tailor-made for specific fanbases - we can sit here and bitch about N*Sync but I can bitch just as long about Phish - tastes are tastes, fans note bands tastes and become fans, bands note fan tastes and they react accordingly to bring them more of what they want so they can sell.

Hooker With a Penis is a great song; I should have just listed the lyrics and then I'd have had less to type.

I should mention that back in the day Green Day had quite the fued with another band I know gets mad respect: Third Eye Blind. So that should put this all into perspective. Nothing like a song about heroin addiction that goes, "Do do do, do do do doooo"...

#50 Lefty

Lefty

Arrogant Asshole

• Expired Member
  • 2,333 posts

Posted 07 April 2005 - 12:09 PM

Janes Addiction takes it on good song about H. "Comin' down the mountain, I met a girl, there she had pinned eyes, we had the same opinions, we had the same opinions, holdin' it back, it hurts soo bad she was jumpin' out of her flesh, and I said, cash in now!!!!!!!!!!!!" Mountain song soo rocks, must play it now. That shit is crap but great song.
And Shred, you missed Soundgarden :).

#51 I_am_me

I_am_me

Odderator

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 2,228 posts

Posted 07 April 2005 - 12:16 PM

Gomez.....good stuff.

#52 Guest_JT_*

Guest_JT_*

Posted 07 April 2005 - 12:25 PM

NOTHING, and i'm going nuts!

#53 dukex

dukex

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 583 posts

Posted 07 April 2005 - 01:23 PM

Phish cover of "Gin and Juice" damn sweet tune.

Gomez did they do that Clint Eastwood song ?

Peace...

#54 kam

kam

Mycomath & fungal physics

• Free Member
  • 147 posts

Posted 07 April 2005 - 06:21 PM

Duke, you know why that version of "Gin and Juice" doesn't sound like Phish? It isn't, it's a groups called the Gourds. People have circulated the song on P2P networks as by Phish.

Listening to the Hotel album by Moby I just got. I'm not sure if I like it or not yet.

#55 dukex

dukex

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 583 posts

Posted 07 April 2005 - 06:58 PM

"Duke, you know why that version of "Gin and Juice" doesn't sound like Phish? It isn't, it's a groups called the Gourds. People have circulated the song on P2P networks as by Phish."

Yeah I could tell it wasnt Phish but everyone seems to know that version hehe.

Peace...

#56 Lazlo

Lazlo

old hand

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 7,620 posts

Posted 07 April 2005 - 07:02 PM

Hmmmm, this is weird. I'm jammin Birds of a Feather right now as we speak! Trippy.

#57 bertha

bertha

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 41 posts

Posted 07 April 2005 - 08:48 PM

Infected Mushroom's Cities of the Future
Sander Kleinenberg's Hugenbuble
Junkie XL's Breezer
George Acosta's Don't Stop

#58 I_am_me

I_am_me

Odderator

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 2,228 posts

Posted 07 April 2005 - 09:55 PM

Nah it was the Gorillaz that did the Clint Eastwood song.

Gomez don't really have any popular us radio songs, they are from the UK. Wonderful band! They get into good rock, blues, nice n psychedelic.

#59 Raptor

Raptor

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 176 posts

Posted 08 April 2005 - 01:11 PM

yea lefty was right, my fourth quadrant was soundgarden.

Of course yea, I was thinking about that song while you were talking about selling out too. The thing is, the term is used very generally. You're only really selling out if you're doing something you wouldn't normally do, of course, to make money. Is Liz Phair a sell-out? Quite possibly since she went from indie queen and singing about fucking bleeding dicks to pop songs. It's hard to judge without really knowing the person or being in there head. Did Green Day sell-out? Maybe, although bands do grow older and hence change, since not changing might even be worse in a sense if you're trying to gain from your past. Regardless they're still douchebags. And as I believe it was someone on here said, "they went from singing songs about poo and masturbation to doing political commentary." Oh yea, one thing that killed me, I saw they had Green Day on Storytellers on VH1... umm? Someone clue me in because that's hilarious. Some story tellers, "my shadow's the only one who walks beside me" woooaah you like mean,,, like you're like by yourself right? Billy Joe you're so clever.

#60 dukex

dukex

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 583 posts

Posted 08 April 2005 - 03:19 PM

" Gomez don't really have any popular us radio songs, they are from the UK. Wonderful band! They get into good rock, blues, nice n psychedelic. "

They play Gomez on Sirius Satellite on the "Jam On" station.
I was just a little screwed up.

Peace...

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!