#1 mad_messiah

mad_messiah

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 89 posts

Posted 26 March 2005 - 05:25 AM

hi

I know you'r tired of threads like this but sorry you are my only hope

it's suposed to be my first grow (ordered spores from smart batanics last week), so i have a few questions to you, the expirienced ones.

Now i'm making a chamber (of a 45 liter (12gal) fish tank), the problem is: it's too short (just 26cm (10") tall) so i can't fit a drip shield in it
is it a must to have a shield or i can just close it tight with a piece of plastic film?

And BTW how much light do i need, the chamber will be situated in the closet under a board which will cover it like 1/3 on the top actualy the closet is painted flat white from the inside so if i open the doors it will get some inderect sunlight, but i doubt if it's enough

I know thet it's too early to think about frutting chamber now but i want everything to be prepared before i start

And the last question: i will use 0.4 liter polypropylene jars (the only wide mouth jars i could find, i paid arround 2 euros for each so don't tell me to look for some other ones) and planning to obtaine a pressure cooker to sterilize them. As i read in the articles i should close the holes with a scotch tape and leave the lids half way open. But if i do so i wont be able to sterilize more then 3 jars at once, cus if i put more in the cooker i will have to put them on the top of each other and the upper ones will complitely close the lower ones. Can i leave the holes open but the lids closed and just cover it with foil so steam will be able to run through the holes?

thank you

best regrads

Andrey

#2 maliki

maliki

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 416 posts

Posted 26 March 2005 - 06:36 AM

Well hey now welcome to topia....
ok first answer the drip shield is not a must have , you can do without it.
But to go without it means I would be looking into perlite for humidity rather then misting the cakes directly to keep the RH up.
Second as far as light goes you need a good light source to trigger pin set . Even two hours of light a day is sufficent. A standard light bulb is more then suficient.
And as far as stacking containers goes thats going to have to be your call as you can see how tight the lids pop down. Ive been known to quad stack jars, the key word there jars. As for your plastic containers you may be able to stack them or not. I would not rely on just the inoc holes for good sterilization in the PC.
Good luck on your first grow... :)

#3 Guest_golly_*

Guest_golly_*

Posted 26 March 2005 - 08:10 AM

If u use an insulating board on top of the aquarium [ like foam ] it will not drip onto yer goodies ..or u could put a folded towel on top of your present lid...

#4 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 26 March 2005 - 08:33 AM

it a must to have a shield or i can just close it tight with a piece of plastic film?

i never used a drip shield, ever.
did just fine, too.

it will get some inderect sunlight

that will work, if you give it daily once pinning is desired.

leave the holes open but the lids closed and just cover it with foil

that's how i do it, too.
works great

#5 destroy_erase_improve

destroy_erase_improve

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 2,167 posts

Posted 26 March 2005 - 11:01 AM

welcome to topia
glad to see your investing in a pc. its well worth it, and probably the number one must have tool for this hobby

#6 meihoe

meihoe

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 95 posts

Posted 26 March 2005 - 11:06 AM

Good luck!!!!!!!!!!:D

#7 spacecake

spacecake

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 4,563 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 26 March 2005 - 11:26 AM

polypropylene jars ...are these the one ? (I'm not sure they can stand the heat ! this one didn't !)

Attached Thumbnails

• PP.jpg

#8 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 26 March 2005 - 11:29 AM

plastics vary
the HDPE
[high density poly]
is best, taking a full 15 psi
regular PE can take 5 psi
but becomes soft so
one shouldn't stack them
else they deform

#9 destroy_erase_improve

destroy_erase_improve

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 2,167 posts

Posted 26 March 2005 - 11:30 AM

how can you tell the difference in plastics
is it the marking at the bottom of it?

#10 spacecake

spacecake

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 4,563 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 26 March 2005 - 11:44 AM

Yes,it's on the bottom or it's labeled...

#11 mad_messiah

mad_messiah

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 89 posts

Posted 29 March 2005 - 06:59 AM

polypropylene jars ...are these the one ? (I'm not sure they can stand the heat ! this one didn't !)

exactly the same bro :)

#12 mad_messiah

mad_messiah

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 89 posts

Posted 29 March 2005 - 07:26 AM

Thank you guys
bought a pressure cooker today (50$) but it doesn't hold the pressure, though it looks very nice, looks like i set everything right but all the steam goes from under the lid, so i'll go and return it.
I tried it with the jar like Spacecake had (i had to push on the lid to make the pc work) so the jar wasn't comlitely ruind but became softer and lid comes off very easily, if not your post Spacecake i wouldn't have noticed it and actualy i was allready going to buy some more of them (it's in the same store i'm taking the pc to return), but decided to check the forum before going out.
Thank you, Spacecake!

best wishes

MM

#13 mad_messiah

mad_messiah

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 89 posts

Posted 29 March 2005 - 07:27 AM

Thank you guys
bought a pressure cooker today (50$) but it doesn't hold the pressure, though it looks very nice, looks like i set everything right but all the steam goes from under the lid, so i'll go and return it.
I tried it with the jar like Spacecake had (i had to push on the lid to make the pc work) so the jar wasn't comlitely ruind but became softer and lid comes off very easily, if not your post Spacecake i wouldn't have noticed it and actualy i was allready going to buy some more of them (it's in the same store i'm taking the pc to to return), but decided to check the forum before going out.
Thank you, Spacecake!

best wishes

MM

#14 mad_messiah

mad_messiah

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 89 posts

Posted 29 March 2005 - 07:36 AM

that will work, if you give it daily once pinning is desired.

Thank you

how long should i keep my closet open?

PS
just read about the dunk tek and vant to ask you: after thet mushrooms become bigger, but what about the concentration of the goods in it is it the same as in non dunked ones i mean drug to weight rate?

best regrads

MM

#15 spacecake

spacecake

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 4,563 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 29 March 2005 - 12:52 PM

Is the rubber sealing of your p.cooker in place ,there is a little hole..that must be in the right position...

#16 destroy_erase_improve

destroy_erase_improve

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 2,167 posts

Posted 29 March 2005 - 12:55 PM

is it a new or used pc?
older used pcs usually need the rubber seal replaced, they dont cost much . and most actually replace it just to safeguard themselves when they purchase a used pc.

#17 LaughingDog

LaughingDog

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 138 posts

Posted 29 March 2005 - 09:22 PM

My first terrarium had a drip shield. I loved it because you could really blast it with a sprayer and not worry about hitting the cakes. Though since then I've not used one with little detrimental effects.

#18 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 29 March 2005 - 09:49 PM

what about the concentration of the goods in it is it the same as in non dunked ones i mean drug to weight rate?

since one dunks the cake
not actual shrooms
there is no extra water weight
and thus no loss of potency

#19 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 29 March 2005 - 09:50 PM

how long should i keep my closet open?

only a brief interval is required,
a few minutes every day is more than enough

#20 mad_messiah

mad_messiah

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 89 posts

Posted 30 March 2005 - 03:24 AM

Thank you again
it was a new pressure cooker, so i returned it and bought a new one
i also found some glass jars 0.25 liter ones, but they are sold with some kind of french pork leaver paste in it for 3 euros a jar, it's good but still i couldn't eat more then half of a jar at once, i also want to upload pics of all the stuff i have just to get your appinion about it, but i don't know how to do it

best wishes

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!