• Please log in to reply
100 replies to this topic

#41 shedthemonkey

shedthemonkey

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 1,455 posts

Posted 28 March 2005 - 07:47 AM

Nice thread Hippie3. Last time I was in the store, I studied the bleach bottles and got confused. There seems to be mostly this "ULTRA" concentrated bleach everywhere but they wouldn't say on the bottles what the concentration was! Unless I missed it. Anyway, people need to be able to do this with whatever bleach they can find and be certain of the starting concentration too. Just a thought for you experimenters.

Attached Thumbnails

• speedbump2005026103019.gif

#42 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 28 March 2005 - 07:58 AM

may be a mute point

i hate to stickle
but the word is
'moot'

#43 highflyer

highflyer

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 423 posts

Posted 29 March 2005 - 12:40 AM

Hippie, this is a nice piece of thinkin. This is somethin I many put to the test. Lets hope your initial thought proves true.

#44 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 29 March 2005 - 08:09 AM

crossing fingers.
this kind of research needs to be done,
and if not here
then where ?

#45 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 29 March 2005 - 08:35 PM

btw,
i already have a Plan B,
saline solution,
if the bleach doesn't work.
may even combine the two...

#46 Guest_Peter Cottontail_*

Guest_Peter Cottontail_*

Posted 29 March 2005 - 08:57 PM

Something else to think about, is the size of contaminant vs mushroom spores. Trich, aspergillis, and penicillin spores are all smaller than cubie spores. Perhaps a filter of the correct micron size to catch mushroom spores, but let the contaminants pass through.
RR

#47 sleepwalker

sleepwalker

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 414 posts

Posted 30 March 2005 - 12:20 PM

i like this thread i have a shitload of prints i could test ill go get a microscrope and see what results from this if you want.my thoughts are along the lines of good idea and def worth checking into but slight poss of not working.do you think that mutants might result from this hmmmmm.....alot of questions to be answered......so like i said you need a volunteer hip ill do it......peace.....

#48 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 30 March 2005 - 12:27 PM

if you start seeing lotsa mutants
we can back it down a notch

#49 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 30 March 2005 - 12:31 PM

a filter of the correct micron size

not exactly a common household item

#50 sleepwalker

sleepwalker

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 414 posts

Posted 30 March 2005 - 03:21 PM

hippie doesnt bleach start to disintigrate after a while like h2o2 does or is that a result from air contact so in a water or liquid solution it wouldnt.i could be wrong but i always thought that it did so it would be good to put into syringes but the sterile effect would be temp but would be a plus to eliminate the use of flow hood or glovebox...is this the theory hippie...

#51 papa smurf

papa smurf

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 15 posts

Posted 30 March 2005 - 05:18 PM

this might be too low a level but he are some reagents tests
http://www.aossmedic...t_strips_pr.htm

this looks about what we are looking for http://omnicontrols...._test_kits2.htm

if you want to spen some money http://www.lamotte.c...s/chlorine.html

#52 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 30 March 2005 - 05:24 PM

any break-down of the bleach over time would be irrelevant once the syringes are already made...

#53 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 01 April 2005 - 05:17 PM

btw,
i already have a Plan B,
saline solution,
if the bleach doesn't work.
may even combine the two...

btw
we have already demonstrated successfully
that psilo spores can survive and germinate
in low concentration saline [salt water]
just hasn't been pushed to the limits yet
or cross-checked against common contams.
still it's yet another worthwhile
avenue of research, imhfo

#54 maliki

maliki

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 416 posts

Posted 03 April 2005 - 07:13 AM

Just an Update im seeing no germination here on my end. I did 500pm 250ppm 125ppm
and a plain spore solution. Im getting zero results from any of them even the plain..
A little more time I guess...

#55 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 03 April 2005 - 07:15 AM

sounds like it ,
glad you're on the case tho'

#56 Guest_Peter Cottontail_*

Guest_Peter Cottontail_*

Posted 03 April 2005 - 02:06 PM

Um, not to sound like a pervert or anything, but I do have fresh, isolated cultures of penicillium, trichoderma, asperigillus and clandosporium if anybody is serious about experimenting. I think it's actually legal to mail that shit...lol. You will have to open the petri dish and harvest your own contaminant spores. I would suggest you build a special glovebox just for this.
RR

#57 maliki

maliki

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 416 posts

Posted 04 April 2005 - 05:33 AM

Rodger you cultured Mould???
Man we have got to find you a more time consuming hobby.... :)
Ive got plenty of Mould my self , not isolated by any means but still there non the less.
I may take you up on that offer down the road here. As I would imagine that each mould has its own LD of bleach but who knows it may be the same PPM for killing all of them off.

#58 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 06 April 2005 - 06:36 AM

i was thinking that
karo culture might be a good way
to test spore germination in a dilute bleach solution

#59 Ra_shroom

Ra_shroom

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 30 posts

Posted 17 April 2005 - 01:14 PM

I'm not an expert, but,

I'm assuming that various cubie strains are going to have slightly different chemical compositions in their spores. In that case, it might be necessary to have a different controlled experiment for each strain, after finding a "safe level" if it exists, for cubes.

From what I've read on growing shrooms, (I haven't grown any yet but will soon, thanks to Hippie), the contam fungus varieties aren't really all that numerous, but they are persistent.

Something gives them a leg up on the cubes, makes them more viable via air and more likely to survive most environments (otherwise cubes would be everywhere).

Maybe a chemical analysis is in order to determine the differences between the cube spores, and the contams. I'll bet the stronger contams have something in common, that cubes don't, some chemical or combination of chemicals, or natural shield, maybe something that protects them from UV light, or microwaves, etc (natural light and/or microwave radiation affects some spores/viruses/bacteria much more violently than others).

Then finding a reagent/radiation source that doesn't bother the cubes, but does react negatively with the contams, should be fairly easy. Breaking the dna chains via chemicals is fairly easy given the right chemical or combination, so I've heard. Chances are that small quantities of that chemical, or combination, would be readily available, and able to be misted into the growing chamber, or colonizing medium, with no ill effects on cubes.

Has anyone tried anything with zinc oxides, copper sulfate, or anything like that. They are killer on many molds but totally ignore some other fungis.

Really wish I had more resources available to help out! A few years back, I had the time and resources to "fix" this problem, but didn't "experiment" with ethnos then, so I guess that it's redundant.

#60 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 17 April 2005 - 01:21 PM

assuming that various cubie strains are going to have slightly different chemical compositions in their spores.

i suppose that's "possible"
but we have no cause to
make that assumption.
even if it were true,
the task would be beyond our abilities
i figure trial-and-error is our
only real option.
i know there's a safe level
for both bleach and salt.
we just need a few brave souls
willing to do the experiments
but my high profile here