Paradox
©
Fisana

Photo
* * * * - 1 votes

Playing With Extracting DMT (aka: Wazzling The Spice)

• Please log in to reply
104 replies to this topic

#21 smacked12

smacked12

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 221 posts

Posted 27 June 2007 - 06:01 PM

Hey Doobs, what have you got going on here exactly?
Powdered bark in water that has been brought down to a ph of 4, boiled, strained, bark discarded and now you are doing naptha pulls on the acidic solution to defat before you basify it? Am I following this correctly?

yeah, that's the jist of it.

i defatted my first few extractions but, i really didn't like the idea of using all of that extra solvent that is just going to be discarded.

i found you can get just as clean a product using activated carbon before your initial freeze precip. plus, this method is much easier than a standard defat.

#22 CoyoteMesc

CoyoteMesc

howling mad

• Expired Member
  • 4,313 posts

Posted 27 June 2007 - 06:03 PM

I think thats is where he is at Rev, dunno if he boiled tho...

#23 doobydoobydoo

doobydoobydoo

Lifestyles Moderator

• Expired Member
  • 2,806 posts

Posted 27 June 2007 - 06:11 PM

Yes, that is it guys. I boiled it only very briefly... Not very long at all... then strained.

The oils are so nasty.. lol When you pull em out with the turkey baster, it's a whole different consistancy even... Thicker. I was putting this all into a qt jar and the cleaner naphtha was rising to the top. I wound up sucking some of this back up and putting it back into the flasks to pull out more fats. Now I have a big quart jar of icky fats.

It seems like a lot of naphtha, but not really. 3 pulls, of about 100ml each, on 3 jars, dats 900ml. Tis a lot, but not that much imo considering what is being done.

The one thing I wish I did somehow was cook down and condense the initial brew somewhat... working with all this liquid brew is a pain. Will see how it goes though... After reading about the heat thing I didn't want to really simmer/boil it too long.

Check out the fats/oils/crap I pulled from 3000ml of solution -

Now working on wazzling out the precious spice... brought the ph to around 13.4-13.5 ... naphtha doing it's thing now.

Attached Thumbnails

• Defatting the wazzle nooch 009.jpg
  • Defatting the wazzle nooch 007.jpg

Edited by Sidestreet, 05 September 2016 - 07:08 AM.

#24 CoyoteMesc

CoyoteMesc

howling mad

• Expired Member
  • 4,313 posts

Posted 27 June 2007 - 06:15 PM

:amazed: dang doob, I never saw that many bubbles...lol
was your mix warm? It may be better for you to pull that much I dunno. Far from a pro. omg thats a lot...:amazed:

You know what, you may have just used more root bark that I did. How much bark did you use?

never mind I see that it was warm...:teeth:

#25 doobydoobydoo

doobydoobydoo

Lifestyles Moderator

• Expired Member
  • 2,806 posts

Posted 27 June 2007 - 07:27 PM

:amazed: dang doob, I never saw that many bubbles...lol
was your mix warm? It may be better for you to pull that much I dunno. Far from a pro. omg thats a lot...:amazed:

You know what, you may have just used more root bark that I did. How much bark did you use?

never mind I see that it was warm...:teeth:

It was not warm. Room temps.

I used 500g of bark. This 3000ml is about 3/5 of the brew. So I got about 5000ml brew to work with to start out. After basifying the 3000ml goes to about 4000ml, a lil less.

Yeah, lots of fats it seems. So far on the first DMT pull now, there are still some fats, wondering if they were just left over from being pulled out b4 or what... They are settling out a decent amount though. When I pull the naphtha out I'm gonna be damn sure to avoid that nasty layer.

#26 doobydoobydoo

doobydoobydoo

Lifestyles Moderator

• Expired Member
  • 2,806 posts

Posted 29 June 2007 - 03:10 PM

Defatting is really a neat process. I've done a 2nd round and got some more practice with this. It seems the fats and oils and things sit low in the naphtha, but still above the mhrb brew below. I was using a lot of naphtha so I decided to do what I said above, take some of the clear out of the jar I was dumping into and putting that back into the flasks. Was able to pull out more fats still as they drop right down to the bottom.

This 2nd time I did 4 defatting pulls. About to do the DMT pulls now after I basify this stuff back up.

The results of the first run were great! Really really really nice clean looking DMT. Still not totally white. But the spice is nice! I'll get a comparison pic up a lil later.

#27 doobydoobydoo

doobydoobydoo

Lifestyles Moderator

• Expired Member
  • 2,806 posts

Posted 29 June 2007 - 03:12 PM

Oh, a note about the bubbles. Alot of that was really air bubbles, but not all. Much settled out over night in the jar and I could probably try to reuse some of that clear naphtha up top in that now as well... It's a whole damn quart! lol ;) The bubbles settle sorta slowly with the fats and oils, but once you get it basified the stuff falls out of the naphtha rather easily. I saw that when doing the DMT pulls on it.

There is also a layer on the bottom where pulled out some of the mhrb brew...

#28 doobydoobydoo

doobydoobydoo

Lifestyles Moderator

• Expired Member
  • 2,806 posts

Posted 29 June 2007 - 04:34 PM

This is the jar from the 1st batch... settled out somewhat... But still a big ol blob of gunky oils and fats... ick.

[pics]

This is the jar from todays batch... yum! Reminds me of lipo-suction. :puke: hah

[pics]

Lots of clean naphtha on the top... At least I think it's clean... I'm gonna try to recycle that in the two jars there on the next run on the stuff I still have left and see how it goes... As I said, I was taking some and using it on the defats b4, see no problem using it that way again on defats.

And finally, this is a comparison of the last batch of spice I did up without defatting, and then this batch, with defatting. Very big difference in color. I had a little trouble getting a good picture of these, but you can see it.

The one is like darker yellow... The new, is like a whitish like yellow... not even really yellow, like a very light tanish with a hint of yellow to it. Similar soapy like consistancy to it.

The stuff I had done even prior to this was an icky sticky gooey darker yellow. Clearly oils... had to redo that batch, still got a jar of oily naphtha mess.

[pics]

Attached Thumbnails

• Spice spice spice 016.jpg
  • Spice spice spice 005.jpg
  • Spice spice spice 012.jpg
  • Spice spice spice 004.jpg
  • Spice spice spice 008.jpg
  • Spice spice spice 011.jpg
  • Spice spice spice 009.jpg

Edited by Sidestreet, 05 September 2016 - 07:09 AM.

#29 smacked12

smacked12

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 221 posts

Posted 30 June 2007 - 09:11 AM

that still seems like alot of work.
this is what one carbon wash will get you without defatting.

Attached Thumbnails

• d.jpg

#30 synth

synth

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 853 posts

Posted 30 June 2007 - 12:40 PM

that still seems like alot of work.
this is what one carbon wash will get you without defatting.

^ hell yeah.

this dmt was recrystallized 3x, after the first it became white with a hint
of tan that stayed throughout subsequent recrystallizations. Hit the solvent
with carbon, it went from light yellow to clear. Snow white dmt precipitated.
Posted Image
[i couldn't upload the pic here for some reason, maybe because i'm editing]

ddd, thanks for doing that and taking the side-by-side photo of the difference.
i've never done a defat with mhrb before, but i've been curious.
Posted Image
:bow:

#31 doobydoobydoo

doobydoobydoo

Lifestyles Moderator

• Expired Member
  • 2,806 posts

Posted 01 July 2007 - 07:19 PM

hah, that's some really white spice.

The next set came out nice and white as well. Even whiter than that last one! Wow! This later stuff is on top... you can definately visibly see a difference in color.

One more set to evap now.

http://mycotopia.net...=1&d=1183338751

http://mycotopia.net...=1&d=1183335524

Attached Thumbnails

• Spice spice spice 020.jpg
  • Spice spice spice 027.jpg

#32 Guest_cap_*

Guest_cap_*

Posted 01 July 2007 - 07:45 PM

holy fuckballs how did i miss this thread? good work! what kind of impact does defatting have on yield?

#33 smacked12

smacked12

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 221 posts

Posted 01 July 2007 - 07:52 PM

holy fuckballs how did i miss this thread? good work! what kind of impact does defatting have on yield?

it shouldn't effect yeild at all. as long as the solution hasn't been basified the np solvent won't pull any alkaloids.

@ddd - have you just been doing an evap of your solvent? have you tried a freeze precip yet?

lately, i've been hanging a piece of string or wire in my jars while i freeze precip. the crystals form
and collect on it, it's pretty cool. i've actually gotten some big clear crystals about a 1/4x1/4". they
look like jacks. next time i do a run i'll grab a pic.

#34 Guest_cap_*

Guest_cap_*

Posted 01 July 2007 - 08:27 PM

thanks but thats not what i was really asking :)
dooby, was there a difference in how much the spice weighed defatted and not defatted? if u even weighed it at all? thanks

it shouldn't effect yeild at all. as long as the solution hasn't been basified the np solvent won't pull any alkaloids.
@ddd - have you just been doing an evap of your solvent? have you tried a freeze precip yet?
lately, i've been hanging a piece of string or wire in my jars while i freeze precip. the crystals form
and collect on it, it's pretty cool. i've actually gotten some big clear crystals about a 1/4x1/4". they

#35 Doctor D

Doctor D

(Not a real doctor)

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 2,258 posts

Donator

Posted 01 July 2007 - 09:35 PM

Check out the fats/oils/crap I pulled from 3000ml of solution

Awesome work, Doob.

Just curious, how did the fat and oil smell? Did you evap off the solvent and then discard the crap? I wanted to know if it had a sweetish smell or a spice smell.

Was that tap water you used for the defat, or distilled?

#36 doobydoobydoo

doobydoobydoo

Lifestyles Moderator

• Expired Member
  • 2,806 posts

Posted 02 July 2007 - 09:25 PM

Unfortunately not doing any comparisons... I imagine it drops it somewhat, though actually, I seem to be getting more this time than when I had tried prior. Could be bark, technique, etc... asides from the defatting. Not really sure.

#37 doobydoobydoo

doobydoobydoo

Lifestyles Moderator

• Expired Member
  • 2,806 posts

Posted 02 July 2007 - 09:28 PM

Cool idea. Like growing rock candy.

I have tried the freeze precip, though this was on very oily redissolved stuff. Did not go very well. I did not have the naphtha nearly super saturated enough to let the spice fall out of it. Still have 400ml or so of that yellow icky solution I have to do something with. Carbon may be it, or even trying to defat this somehow being creative... no idea really, sorta on the back burner.

Also, I'm not sure if the fan blew some of the stuff away after that freeze precip... it may have. lol

#38 doobydoobydoo

doobydoobydoo

Lifestyles Moderator

• Expired Member
  • 2,806 posts

Posted 02 July 2007 - 09:29 PM

dooby, was there a difference in how much the spice weighed defatted and not defatted? if u even weighed it at all? thanks

Yeah, I did not do any weighs on any spice b4 defatting... I just defatting the mhrb solution b4 the spice was even pulled from it.

#39 doobydoobydoo

doobydoobydoo

Lifestyles Moderator

• Expired Member
  • 2,806 posts

Posted 02 July 2007 - 09:32 PM

Awesome work, Doob.
Just curious, how did the fat and oil smell? Did you evap off the solvent and then discard the crap? I wanted to know if it had a sweetish smell or a spice smell.
Was that tap water you used for the defat, or distilled?

Definately did not have that spice smell to it at all like the later naphtha pulls once it was basified. I didn't evap it or anything, and I actually plan to use those jars up for defatting the other half of this stuff when I get to it. For now, there is a lil mhrb solution on the bottom, and then those oils and odd lipids and fats, and then clear naphtha. I would have thought that naptha would have dissolved it or broken it down, but perhaps because of the ph ranges or something... not really sure. But seperate layers for sure still, and clear, very clear, looking naphtha up top. Not blueish, not yellowish, just clear.

It's sorta funky too how that fat/lipid layer barely moves when you give the jar a good shake. Tis some nasties ;) heh

The water I used this time was all from the tap, not bottled distilled or bottled spring water. It's city water also, not from a well.

#40 doobydoobydoo

doobydoobydoo

Lifestyles Moderator

• Expired Member
  • 2,806 posts

Posted 03 July 2007 - 08:29 PM

Ok, so the 3rd set of work on the mhrb brew went well. Some really large white crystal piles formed. Almost rice grain in size! There was also a lil bit of oils I believe accumulated throughout the works. I put that lil bit of spice aside. I found that by moderately, not lightly, not heavyily, but still with a lil pressure... but moderately going over the tray with the razor blade perfectly perpendicular to the tray got up all the slightly oily dots that were there, but yet left all the other stuff alone as it was more stuck to the tray. It was fairly easy to go over a few spots and remove that tiny bit b4 doing a scrape of the whole tray.

Pic time...

[pics]

Notice that color difference between some that was done without defatting, and the recent defatted spice. :amazed::thumbup:

The total spice extracted from the 500g of mhrb was 3.5 grams. This seems to be a lil less than others are getting. I'm not sure if this was due to the defatting or not. There is another 500g of bark still to do up, so I will see if this work can be bettered or if I wind up with about the same. That won't be for a bit yet though.

Go spice weasel! :headbang:

Attached Thumbnails

• Spice spice spice 056.jpg
  • Spice spice spice 053.jpg
  • Spice spice spice 052.jpg
  • Spice spice spice 040.jpg
  • Spice spice spice 050.jpg
  • Spice spice spice 036.jpg
  • Spice spice spice 035.jpg
  • Spice spice spice 034.jpg
  • Spice spice spice 030.jpg
  • Spice spice spice 029.jpg
  • Spice spice spice 008.jpg

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!