Paradox
©
Fisana

Photo
- - - - -

PF Cakes with Peat (how I got the vermiculite monkey off my back).

• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

#41 MNL

MNL

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 260 posts

Posted 28 April 2005 - 01:09 AM

This picture shows the PEAT/rice cakes that I made some time ago. Left is Mexican-clone, right is Hawaiian multi-spore.

Attached Thumbnails

• Peatonly.jpg

#42 MNL

MNL

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 260 posts

Posted 28 April 2005 - 01:11 AM

These are some 50/50 peat/verm cakes. 2 of 3 have a funky patch where it did not seem to colonize. I am going to let them grow invitro to see what happens. Notice the shrooms growing around the uncolonized spot on the middle cup...hum?

Attached Thumbnails

• 5050peatverm.jpg

#43 MNL

MNL

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 260 posts

Posted 28 April 2005 - 01:12 AM

These cakes were made with a peat barrier instead of a verm barrier. One did super great, the other is having some funk. (both EQ clone).

Attached Thumbnails

• peattopper.jpg

#44 MNL

MNL

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 260 posts

Posted 28 April 2005 - 01:15 AM

These cakes were made with a little bit of peat, verm, and shredded toilet paper. They will be used to inoculate the rolls of TP in the pic. In the netherlands we have this oxymoron: zacht en sterk.

Attached Thumbnails

• tpcup2.jpg
  • tpcup.jpg

#45 MNL

MNL

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 260 posts

Posted 28 April 2005 - 01:25 AM

Conclusion:

Before this project I had never had a jar contam on me. Several of these experimental jars contamed. None of the regular PF-cakes I made at the same time with the same clones/multi-spores contamed.

What really surprised me is that some worked, while others didnt....I would have thought that the whole batch would have gone bad, rather than just a few.

Further experiments are needed to determine if pressure sterilization would work better than the steam procedure that I use.

I would give 1 in 4 odds that any given cup made with 100% peat (barrier and verm substitute) would work to satisfaction, but it would take forever. This was the origional intent of these experiments: to see how feasable a 100% peat PF style jar would be.

Notes:
My peat had light nutes in it, take that as you will.
More peat=more time to colonize. Why? 1) less fluffy, fewer air pockets. 2) the myc. slows down to eat the nutes in the peat - this is one of the beaties of the non-nute nature of verm: the myc. streatches quickly to get the next food pocket. (source: my research in the mycotopia.net archives)

#46 MNL

MNL

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 260 posts

Posted 28 April 2005 - 01:29 AM

Some links:

Peat instead of verm barrier

TP cakes

Contam in a 50/50 cup

#47 MNL

MNL

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 260 posts

Posted 28 April 2005 - 01:37 AM

I just did an update in another thread. I didnt know there were unanswered questions here.

My cups are 200 (220?) ML = .5 pint (I think, who the hell knows imperial conversions? 260ML=1 US cup)

busst:
I use this cup method all the time now. It is a tin-foil top with some wire or a twist-tie around it. It works GREAT. I have never had a contam before these experiments.

Peat is not inert, it is slightly nutritious - plus - my peat has fertalizer added to it.

I wipe foil with alcohol, poke through, inject, then cover the hole with a little label sticker from the store (packets of 100's, no need to tear tape with latex gloves on - yuck.).

YES! I do this because I can fit 6 of these in my steam instead of 3 .5 pint glas jars.

#48 MNL

MNL

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 260 posts

Posted 28 April 2005 - 01:40 AM

did you just pack the brf/verm mix into the cups, then the dry barrier, then tied the tin foil to the top, steamed, and just innocced thorugh the foil? thats it?

I also use a dry verm layer on the bottom, just a pinch before the substrate goes in. I dont know if this is key, but I consider it manditory for my work.

#49 MNL

MNL

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 260 posts

Posted 28 April 2005 - 01:43 AM

These cakes were made with a peat barrier instead of a verm barrier. One did super great, the other is having some funk. (both EQ clone).

I bet that I could try gritty lime as a top barrier, huh?

#50 Guest_busst_*

Guest_busst_*

Posted 28 April 2005 - 07:28 AM

i tried using the cups you did, and they all warped out. you steam them? i had holes in the tin foil also, i dont know what im doing wrong, but i made a huge mess lol

#51 MNL

MNL

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 260 posts

Posted 28 April 2005 - 07:36 AM

i tried using the cups you did, and they all warped out. you steam them? i had holes in the tin foil also, i dont know what im doing wrong, but i made a huge mess lol

Yes, steam not PC. Mine are recycle code 5 on the bottom. I use two layers of foil on the top.

Good luck.

#52 Guest_busst_*

Guest_busst_*

Posted 28 April 2005 - 10:17 AM

oh, no wonder, urs are recycle code 5, mine were 6... silly me, im now on the lookout for code 5 plastic cups!

#53 altered_states

altered_states

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 480 posts

Posted 28 April 2005 - 10:38 AM

oh, no wonder, urs are recycle code 5, mine were 6... silly me, im now on the lookout for code 5 plastic cups!

Those numbers actually mean something???
Thought they were a point system for beer-pong... JK
You learn something new everyday.

#54 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 28 April 2005 - 10:40 AM

have these fruited yet ?

#55 int

int

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 38 posts

Posted 29 April 2005 - 08:52 PM

Sorry to revive a somewhat old thread, but I did something similar and I need advice.

I am unable to buy verm. anywhere in this town (and the nearest place where I could buy it is 300 miles away) and I thought it would be almost ridiculous to buy verm online, so I did whole grain brown rice and used this Schultz soil conditioner stuff (which is some kind of clay material, on the bag it advertises "Better Than Vermiculite!") for the layer on top. I'm only three days in, showing some growth and no signs of contam, but does this sound like a reasonable substitute?

BTW, this is my first grow.

Edit: Also, I didn't use any on the bottom of the cake, just the top. I was following 9er tek which I don't think used any on the bottom.

#56 mushaman

mushaman

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 127 posts

Posted 20 December 2005 - 02:35 AM

Hey all, a foaf has brought up the idea of using peat instead of verm in the pf jars. I'm not to sure how well this would work but would like some feed back from you guys. I suggested maybe she could use a combination of the two but would just peat work aslong as it was sterilized? Also would peat work like verm as a barrier?
thanks
mushaman

#57 Guest_lost_onabbey_rd_*

Guest_lost_onabbey_rd_*

Posted 20 December 2005 - 06:31 AM

http://www.mycotopia...read.php?t=5148
is probibly a good read as far as the barrier part goes

as far as mixing it in the jars.. i would say just stick to verm.. peat requires you to balance the PH for good growth..
and it doesn't hold water as well as the verm does..
so unless you are just really having a super hard time finding verm..
i'd say stick to the tried and true
LOST

#58 MNL

MNL

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 260 posts

Posted 20 December 2005 - 08:28 AM

it worked...kinda. The results are in a thread somewhere if they are not lost. Search for posts by me

#59 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 07 March 2006 - 08:16 AM

this should be re-done
with coir,
recently saw some brf/coir cakes [no verm]
that flushed pretty damn well.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!