• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Stenciler

Stenciler

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 493 posts

Posted 02 July 2007 - 10:52 PM

so it's been a while, and I caught myself sneaking back to the forums to see if anything interesting has developed in our open source "academyc" world.

Plus I wanted to report that I just had a 100% success rate with 11 jars I noc'd up on the 28th:

http://mycotopia.net...=1&d=1183436951

not amazing by itself, I haven't lost a jar to contam in a pretty long time. The clutch is that lately I've been pushing limits, and this run was done without gloves (I find the dishwasher gloves too cumbersome, and I have a mild allergy to the latex ones). This isn't some secret everyone already knows, right?

I've got pics of my ghetto glovebox (my first, and only...) and I use a 25% bleach solution in that little "atomizer" (cosmetic use, $.99 at any pharmacy aisle and makes a very fine mist). I heavily misted down everything inside, let it sit for about 5 minutes, took a shortish shower followed by a quick hand/forearm wash with some generic liquid soap and just went at it barehanded. Granted I do keep a fairly clean apartment, but I've always been wicked paranoid about glovebox sterility before. I wouldn't do agar or anything like this but it's nice to know where the "clean line" can be drawn.

lol, of course now I can't really call it a "glovebox" anymore :eusa_eh:

Attached Thumbnails

• atomizer small.jpg
  • glove box 3 small.jpg
  • jars.jpg
  • glove box 2 small.jpg
  • glove box 1 small.jpg

#2 PsychoDrogue

PsychoDrogue

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 2,258 posts

Posted 03 July 2007 - 01:57 AM

glad you've found somethign that works for you. i've ditched gloves too. the last 3 gloveboxes i built over the years all started with gloves that were removed within a week and never replaced.

Gloves can get dirty, just like your hands. once you touch something with a contam on it your just as likely to transfer that contam if you have gloves on or not. I laugh for the same reason when i see people get all pissed off simply because someone is not wearing gloves at a fast food joint. The only way to stay sterile would be to use cheap disposable gloves that you change as often as a tattoo artist changes his: any time they get sweaty, wet, or visibly dirty in any way. I personally have a tub of those clorox bleach wipes next to my box and wipe out the inside of the box and my hands with them before use. seems to work ok so far.

I just use my glovebox for a still air enviro so i dont have an open current full of spores and molds flowing over my plates while i'm working.

#3 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 03 July 2007 - 05:39 AM

lol
PF stle jars like those
can be inoculated literally anywhere safely,
no glovebox needed, no gloves either
assuming you don't wipe the needle on anything unclean.
i've shot them up while sitting on my front porch,
on my couch while watching TV, etc.
the verm layer under the lids filters any incoming air
anyway so 'noccing PF jars like you're a surgeon
is unecessary.
save that for grain and agar work.

#4 fattyz

fattyz

headless horseman

• Expired Member
  • 140 posts

Posted 11 September 2007 - 10:24 AM

I now have all i need to noc later today. I will use a shot glass and denatured alcohol rather than an alcohol lamp. i'm really happy about this cause i was worried about it.) I am sure i am going way overboard with my glove box but after losing my first grow, you can understand my caution. I wanna be 100% sure. AND I do plan to use a couple questionable spore syringes,(one jar at a time) just to determine for certain, if the jars go bad, why and from which syringe, you know? I will be posting in my grow thread all results as usual.

The knowledge available here and it's accessibility are second to none.:bow:

Truly yours,

FattyZ

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!