Paradox
©
Fisana

Photo
- - - - -

Absinthe, substitute wormwood with salvia?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Ravine

Ravine

Witty Title Here

• Expired Member
  • 72 posts

Posted 03 July 2007 - 06:19 PM

If one made some absinthe, but instead of using wormwood, replaced it with salvia, would it have any affect? Or would it not do anything because of the high temperature required to activate the savlinorin?

#2 NEPHROSIS

NEPHROSIS

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 233 posts

Posted 04 July 2007 - 12:13 AM

I'm not sure if it'd work. I know you can make a tincture but that only works sublingually.

The temperature to vaporise salvinorin is only important if you're smoking it, if you make a tincture or something similar it doesn't matter.

#3 Ravine

Ravine

Witty Title Here

• Expired Member
  • 72 posts

Posted 04 July 2007 - 02:03 PM

Ok, so is it able to be absorbed in the blood stream through your stomach? Or anything it passes in the gastric area of your body?

#4 Nabby

Nabby

Mushroom Muncher

• Expired Member
  • 508 posts

Donator

Posted 04 July 2007 - 03:52 PM

Keep in mind that the natives used to chew the stuff for effect.

#5 NEPHROSIS

NEPHROSIS

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 233 posts

Posted 05 July 2007 - 02:13 AM

I'm not sure, I haven't tried to consume it like that - nor have I read any reports about it.

#6 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 05 July 2007 - 09:29 AM

well it would work but it wouldn't really be 'absinthe'
but a tincture of salvia, the high alcohol content would carry the drug. now the stomach isn't efficient at absorbing salvia, it's absorbed much better in your mouth. some chew salvia like tobacco.

#7 Pedestrian

Pedestrian

Dreamspace Transient

• Expired Member
  • 572 posts

Posted 05 July 2007 - 02:01 PM

Keep in mind that the natives used to chew the stuff for effect.

I am curious as to what the chewing experience is like in comparison to smoking. Can anyone elaborate?

#8 Beast

Beast

That's Mr. Beast to you..

• Expired Member
  • 3,930 posts

Posted 05 July 2007 - 07:12 PM

I've experiemented with chewing salvia leaves, several times. It tastes horrible. Just absolutely nasty. I haven't eaten peyote or san pedro, but I can't imagine them tasting any worse.

The thing to remember is that your stomach will break down the salvinorin a. So swallowing it, or its juices, will do you no good other than to end the agony of holding nasty bitter leaves in your mouth.

I'd recommend brushing your teeth and gums, flossing, and rinsing with mouthwash prior to a sublingual dose. This will increase the absorbancy of the membranes lining your mouth.

When I've chewed leaves, its only been one or two at a time. I've found that letting them dry til limp is best. Chewing them when green just gives you too much juice.

Basically, chew the leaf til is sorta mushy, then hold it under your tongue. Sometimes I put it in my lip like a dip of tobacco, but I think it works better if you hold it under your tongue.

I generally hold it there til the flavor is noticably reduced or I feel the effects. By then I'm pretty used to it and keep it in for a bit longer but spitting it out then is ok.

When I've smoked salvia divinorum, I feel an immediate onset and peak in about 5-10 minutes, with 30-40 minutes for the entire experience (unless I hit the bong again, but rarely if ever do that).

When I've chewed salvia divinorum, I don't feel any effects for probably about 15-30 minutes, but the effects stay with me for more like an hour or more, but there has never been a discernable peak, nor anything near the intensity from smoking the same amount in a bong.

I've only smoked an extract once, but smoked straight leaf many many times. SallySpace is hard to find for newcomers to the dimension, and sometimes takes a few tries to get there. This can easily be overcome by smoking extracted salvinorin. Can be quite shocking, in fact.

I think I've read that the Aztecs would chew like 12 leaves at a time. I think this might make the experience a bit more powerful. Haven't tried it yet though.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!