Photo
- - - - -

Spawn advice? [merged]

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#21 Guest_Peter Cottontail_*

Guest_Peter Cottontail_*

Posted 28 March 2005 - 01:00 AM

So far, unless I misunderstand, you've done grain to grain transfers to increase your spawn. You haven't spawned your substrate yet. For grain to grain transfers, one jar should be able to inoculate between 5 and 10 additional jars of the same size. When you get ready to spawn your bulk substrate such as straw or manure compost, you can use the same general ratios, or up the spawn for quicker colonization and less chance of contamination. You said oven bags? You'll need filter patches of some type if you plan to grow out your spawn in those. Gas exchange is mandatory.
RR

#22 Guest_golly_*

Guest_golly_*

Posted 28 March 2005 - 07:53 AM

Higher substrate ratio also means your bag could dry out before full colo .Happened to me with an oven bag 20:1 ratio 2 months to get 70% ...the bag was too full to mix well - so i birthed anyway and still waiting for pins.

#23 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 28 March 2005 - 08:19 AM

You'll need filter patches of some type if you plan to grow out your spawn in those

a wad of polyfil, a small section of plastic pipe and a few rubberbands
make a decent bag filter
place polyfil in pipe,
place pipe in neck of bag,
tighten bag around pipe.
it's that simple
Posted Image

see http://archives.myco...html?1037151194

#24 highflyer

highflyer

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 423 posts

Posted 28 March 2005 - 11:48 PM

The highest spawn ratio you should use is 1:10. Generally something lower like 1:5 or 1:7 is the highest that you should go.

#25 Guest_SnakeEyes_*

Guest_SnakeEyes_*

Posted 11 July 2006 - 12:56 PM

I not a retard, I mean I can imagine how to do this but I just wanna be sure. Should I use brf/verm/castings? If not what grain should I use to spawn the agar to? I need to spawn the agar to grain so that I can then spawn it to poo casing. I would say that LC's are unecessary, but Ive already ordered my LC ingredients. Otherwise I would do grain to begin with. Sorry for posting irractily but I need to get started asap.(sorry). Thanks. -Heath

#26 srgtm1a

srgtm1a

yeah, yeah, you know.

• Expired Member
  • 760 posts

Posted 11 July 2006 - 01:38 PM

You can use LC with grain, no problem with that. If you are going the route of agar, you may want to look into doing WBS (wild bird seed) or rye jars. With LC, you could inject that into just about any substrate, brf, grain etc.

For agar, I wouldn't suggest doing that with PF-tek method of jars.

#27 python

python

Former Member

• Banned Member
  • 2,655 posts

Posted 11 July 2006 - 01:53 PM

agar is wonderful----and leaves all options open, and there are many options

as far as what grain to use i recommend rye for it reliability and it is a nice small size creating many innoculation points for your poo.........I use rye almost strictly nowadays......

one can use rye, popcorn, wild bird seed (also nice small pieces for lots of innoculation points) , millet, rice.....etc

also one can simply case and fruit the grain it self----get a tray lay out the rye and case it with say 1/2-3/4'' peat based casing.... and fruit :)

#28 Guest_SnakeEyes_*

Guest_SnakeEyes_*

Posted 11 July 2006 - 02:49 PM

First off guys thanks alot for your quick replys. I am doin poo/straw for my casing or else Id follow your method of just casing the grain its self, python. Btw I always appriciate moderators giving feedback. Also python, is rye redily avaiable and in what form, and should I use just rye or throw some castings in to help things along? Im begining to wonder if this agar thing is just extra work. Hopefully it will pay off in the end as I have alota money invested; I bought all lab grade products for my agar 1/2 pt jars. Anyways thanks again guys and anymore feedback would be appriciated. -Heath

#29 python

python

Former Member

• Banned Member
  • 2,655 posts

Posted 11 July 2006 - 03:04 PM

hehe.....wasn't trying to push a tek or anything, just a little fyi in case u did not know :)

Also python, is rye redily avaiable and in what form

rye is quite readily available and can be purchased in a number of places-----try some online vendors/sponsors, i would get organic/cereal rye grain....... WBS you can get at any pet store if u use that..

as far as adding things to the grain, there is no need and it might mix up your water ratio (50% or so for rye).............however worm castings are great too, just add em to your poo/straw, not your spawn media LOL :)

as far as agar being extra work-----it is the essential tool for advanced growing/research...... agar allows us to see contaminants and combat them or dicard before an outbreak etc.....agar is the nutrient base that can allow us to cross/create strains using clamp connections.........agar can be used in cloning........agar can be stored and used easily, also agar is used in isolations of strains/substrains from sectors etc.......

agar is just plain great

and after that we have all the other stuff we use to cultivate like LC's and pf jars etc.........

another fyi, when you have colonized rye---you can transfer 1/10 of the colonized into a whole jar of uncolonized increasing your spawn media 10 fold----

#30 Guest_SnakeEyes_*

Guest_SnakeEyes_*

Posted 11 July 2006 - 03:48 PM

Now common python, dont laugh at me none of use are, mycologysts at least no more then aspiring mycologyst. At least I dont think so. But when you say "spawn media" you mean brf/verm, I assume. Im not advanced enough to work with clones and shit like that, althought I have picked up my info pretty quickly. Aeways if I have ne more questions I'll PM you. Again thanks man. -Heath

#31 python

python

Former Member

• Banned Member
  • 2,655 posts

Posted 11 July 2006 - 04:30 PM

spawn media---- the colonized rye grain (that u will use to spawn your dung/straw)

and btw---if u are going to do some rye jars id go bigger than 1/2 pint

#32 Guest_SnakeEyes_*

Guest_SnakeEyes_*

Posted 11 July 2006 - 08:06 PM

Yea rye jars are gonna be pint size. Again man thanks for the help. If I need anymore I know who to PM. Also call me stupid but what does MBS staind for? Again thanks. -Heath

#33 python

python

Former Member

• Banned Member
  • 2,655 posts

Posted 11 July 2006 - 08:22 PM

wbs - wild bird seed

#34 Guest_SnakeEyes_*

Guest_SnakeEyes_*

Posted 11 July 2006 - 11:58 PM

thanks man... -Heath

#35 mrmyc

mrmyc

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 72 posts

Posted 19 September 2006 - 06:00 PM

A friend asked me is it possible to take a pf jar and crumble it into a ziplock with pasturized coir/verm (1:5) and then when the bag is colonized, use it to noc up larger amounts of coir/verm substrate? I told him that I have no idea but I knew where we could ask and find out. Any help appreciated.

tia,
mrmyc

#36 Riddles

Riddles

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 43 posts

Posted 19 September 2006 - 06:49 PM

Pf jars can be used as spawn but i seem to recall hearing that coir had no nutes in it, although you could make some nice flatcakes with those

#37 roc

roc

Forum International Moderator

• 8,002 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 19 September 2006 - 06:58 PM

I'd run em thru a food grinder and sprinkle the dust all over some pasturized shit and straw! Oldtimer's trick!

#38 motograter

motograter

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 603 posts

Posted 19 September 2006 - 07:02 PM

I use pf jars as spawn all the time. Usually have great results with PF/horse poo.

#39 Guest_cap_*

Guest_cap_*

Posted 19 September 2006 - 07:13 PM

5:1 verm/coir is more of a casing mix than a bulk-sub.
tell your friend the cakes can be crumbled as described
and if mixing with verm/coir (5:1) research methods of "Rez-Tek"
you want to load the mixed verm/coir/spawn as directed in the tek (i forget ratio called for)
then load trays with this mix to recover and induce pinning once fully colonized.
this is different from bulk-substrate because the verm/coir isnt very nutritious.*
if what you want is more spawn, for later use in a bulk-sub., you want to research:
- G2G - or, "grain-to-grain transfers" making many jars of spawn from 1 master jar
and yes, you can try using colonized cakes as spawn-master, but you need a flow hood...
..or a good glovebox and some experience,,,but your success rates will be hit or miss at best.
if lookin for more info than this or if anything is unclear still, you may wanna check out:
- the vaults/archives database - that mycotopia and hippie provide for us.
link is at the top of every page. it reads, [ The Vaults ] in golden, bold type.
be well, stay kind and good luck!

*bulk substrate = Poo, Straw, The Holy Bible, etc...:D vermiculite and coir arent nutritious enough to use alone, and may not even fully colonize. Use the right thing. either/or verm./coir can be used to improve a bulk-substrate's texture/water holding capabilities.

I'd run em thru a food grinder and sprinkle the dust all over some pasturized shit and straw! Oldtimer's trick!

:thumbup:
i break up by hand, albeit a gloved one.
but the ziplocks are good for small batches or that rez tek :)

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!