What if I did it this way....
Posted 16 February 2005 - 12:09 PM
filled a shot glass with 71% iso used it to disinfect the glass and my hands and the top of the cap I wanna print. After burning off the alky residue in the glass I wedged the cap in the top half of the jar. Then I opened a new ziploc bag and sealed the whole shebang inside. The plan is to use a toothpick or sumthing to unwedge the cap tomorrow (w/o breaking the bag) and then rubberband a corner of the bag over the shot glass to keep out contams when I open the bag to remove the cap. insert needle into glass through bag to get water in and spores out. Would it work? Any comments or suggestions welcome.
Posted 16 February 2005 - 12:42 PM
btw, i'm leary of rubbing alcohol on the caps,
i don't do it anymore.
Posted 16 February 2005 - 02:16 PM
Posted 17 February 2005 - 10:34 PM
I wedged the cap in the top half of the jar.
i might be concerend about contams from the top of the cap getting inside the shotglass from the 'wedging'
one might simply set the cap on top of the sterile shotglass. Easier to remove thru the bag + no wedging necessary
Posted 18 February 2005 - 12:50 PM
alas.... I have not yet made a glove box, main reason being space.
do you have a glovebox ?
However while browsing the stealth archives on the old board the other day I saw someones collapsable glovebox with half inch pvc and I'm sure I could make one of them, so now I really have no excuse now...hehe lazy stoner
Oh, and Synth, it is pretty much as you suggested, It's just wedged far enough in that it won't just fall off if I bump it.
Posted 18 February 2005 - 01:00 PM
Clean the inside of the plastic container. Cut the foil into squares a bit bigger than the mouth of the half pint jars. Lay them down and wipe them off with alcohol. Allow all of the alcohol to evaporate off. Also clean the inside of the half pint jars. Sterilize your scissors, cut the cap off the shroom and transfer the cap to the foil. Cover it with the half pint jar. Then just put the lid on the plastic container and wait about 12 hours. I've had 100% success in the past with this method.
Two biggest things to keep in mind, clean and sterilize everything and let all alcohol evaporate before letting whatever object come into contact with the mushroom cap.
As for going from print to syringe, I prefer just going into a clean room with no obvious contam sources. Get the air to be still as possible. Take a small glass(glass glass, no plastic, spores stick) and clean it out with alcohol. Let it evaporate. Take a sterile syringe and suck up a syringe of distilled water(I used it straight from new bottles) and then squirt it into the glass. I'll do 5 at a time so the glass with have 50cc in it. Then with a sterile untensil, such as a scalpel, scrape the spores into the water carefully and then stir it up with one of the clean needles and suck up your spore solution.
The reasons I could see this not working is if you live somewhere that the spore count is very very high or the area you are working in is not very clean. Best of luck.
Posted 21 February 2005 - 11:03 AM
I tried some of that stuff and also a little of the 'spores direct to water' methodology w/ a few caps so hopefully I get a clean culture out of it this time around