Fisana

- - - - -

What if I did it this way....

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_vrooota!_*

Guest_vrooota!_*

Posted 16 February 2005 - 12:09 PM

Yeah, so after collecting many contaminated spores think I may have come up with an idea to take clean prints w/o making a full sized glovebox that I'd have to store, explain, ect
filled a shot glass with 71% iso used it to disinfect the glass and my hands and the top of the cap I wanna print. After burning off the alky residue in the glass I wedged the cap in the top half of the jar. Then I opened a new ziploc bag and sealed the whole shebang inside. The plan is to use a toothpick or sumthing to unwedge the cap tomorrow (w/o breaking the bag) and then rubberband a corner of the bag over the shot glass to keep out contams when I open the bag to remove the cap. insert needle into glass through bag to get water in and spores out. Would it work? Any comments or suggestions welcome.

#2 Guest_hippie3_*

Guest_hippie3_*

Posted 16 February 2005 - 12:42 PM

hmm, there are easier ways methinks.
btw, i'm leary of rubbing alcohol on the caps,
i don't do it anymore.

#3 Guest_vrooota!_*

Guest_vrooota!_*

Posted 16 February 2005 - 02:16 PM

I was wondering whether or not I'd want to include that big scrumptious cap in a future dose, is that why you don't clean em that way anymore or is it something else I'm not thinking of? Also; if I'm about to do more work than I have to, please provide a link to a better tek, I've tried several of the methods in the archives, but my sterility alwasy fails at somepoint, I think at the print to syringe part.

#4 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 17 February 2005 - 10:31 PM

do you have a glovebox ?

#5 sinthetic

sinthetic

i party like a rock star

• Expired Member
  • 872 posts

Posted 17 February 2005 - 10:34 PM

I wedged the cap in the top half of the jar.

i might be concerend about contams from the top of the cap getting inside the shotglass from the 'wedging'

one might simply set the cap on top of the sterile shotglass. Easier to remove thru the bag + no wedging necessary

#6 vrooota

vrooota

Onamonapia

• Free Member
  • 677 posts

Posted 18 February 2005 - 12:50 PM

do you have a glovebox ?

alas.... I have not yet made a glove box, main reason being space.
However while browsing the stealth archives on the old board the other day I saw someones collapsable glovebox with half inch pvc and I'm sure I could make one of them, so now I really have no excuse now...hehe lazy stoner
Oh, and Synth, it is pretty much as you suggested, It's just wedged far enough in that it won't just fall off if I bump it.

#7 I_am_me

I_am_me

Odderator

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 2,228 posts

Posted 18 February 2005 - 01:00 PM

If you're having problems taking clean prints I would just get a small shoebox sized plastic container, foil, alcohol, half pint jars and some scissors.

Clean the inside of the plastic container. Cut the foil into squares a bit bigger than the mouth of the half pint jars. Lay them down and wipe them off with alcohol. Allow all of the alcohol to evaporate off. Also clean the inside of the half pint jars. Sterilize your scissors, cut the cap off the shroom and transfer the cap to the foil. Cover it with the half pint jar. Then just put the lid on the plastic container and wait about 12 hours. I've had 100% success in the past with this method.

Two biggest things to keep in mind, clean and sterilize everything and let all alcohol evaporate before letting whatever object come into contact with the mushroom cap.

As for going from print to syringe, I prefer just going into a clean room with no obvious contam sources. Get the air to be still as possible. Take a small glass(glass glass, no plastic, spores stick) and clean it out with alcohol. Let it evaporate. Take a sterile syringe and suck up a syringe of distilled water(I used it straight from new bottles) and then squirt it into the glass. I'll do 5 at a time so the glass with have 50cc in it. Then with a sterile untensil, such as a scalpel, scrape the spores into the water carefully and then stir it up with one of the clean needles and suck up your spore solution.

The reasons I could see this not working is if you live somewhere that the spore count is very very high or the area you are working in is not very clean. Best of luck.

#8 vrooota

vrooota

Onamonapia

• Free Member
  • 677 posts

Posted 21 February 2005 - 11:03 AM

thanx for the detail i am me
I tried some of that stuff and also a little of the 'spores direct to water' methodology w/ a few caps so hopefully I get a clean culture out of it this time around
peace

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!