• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 joecoolatc

joecoolatc

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 114 posts

Posted 10 July 2007 - 07:14 PM

i have a pretty big compost pile behind my house, 6x6x3. mostly grass clippings and leaves and such. how well will cubies take to grass and leaves? would a wood lover be better? has anyone tried this b4?

any help is greatly appreciated:bow:

#2 Lazlo

Lazlo

old hand

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 7,620 posts

Posted 10 July 2007 - 07:43 PM

It depends on numerous things.

As a matter of fact, i'm working on a thread for composting correctly at this moment. How to figure out the total nitrogen and carbon %'s and what to use exc. for acquiring optimal composting. I've been reading through some nice literature and have compiled a bunch of great information for us to use that's dead nuts on.

#3 joecoolatc

joecoolatc

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 114 posts

Posted 10 July 2007 - 08:43 PM

can't wait to read your findings lazlo.

#4 suckerfree

suckerfree

GATE KEEPER

• OG VIP
  • 3,032 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 10 July 2007 - 08:51 PM

I have a couple composting books I could add to the exchange...

#5 Lazlo

Lazlo

old hand

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 7,620 posts

Posted 10 July 2007 - 09:14 PM

can't wait to read your findings lazlo.

No findings, just plain facts that i've read and compiled.

#6 joecoolatc

joecoolatc

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 114 posts

Posted 10 July 2007 - 09:40 PM

well anything would be of help to me. you guys are the masters :bow: i'm just a noob.

#7 Lazlo

Lazlo

old hand

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 7,620 posts

Posted 11 July 2007 - 05:44 AM

I have a couple composting books I could add to the exchange...

What books are they SF?

#8 suckerfree

suckerfree

GATE KEEPER

• OG VIP
  • 3,032 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 July 2007 - 07:05 AM

Let me know Lazlo if you want one of these...

Attached Thumbnails

• 61S21544MBL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-dp-500-arrow,TopRight,45,-64_OU01_AA240_SH20_.jpg
  • 71C9NTDVXEL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-dp-500-arrow,TopRight,45,-64_OU01_AA240_SH20_.jpg

#9 crazy1

crazy1

Celestial Traveler

• VIP
  • 2,344 posts

Posted 11 July 2007 - 07:16 AM

The "Let it Rot" is a great book. As well as "The Secret Life of Compost", both are by Malcolm Beck. This guy is a compost king!

#10 Lazlo

Lazlo

old hand

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 7,620 posts

Posted 11 July 2007 - 09:24 AM

i have a pretty big compost pile behind my house, 6x6x3. mostly grass clippings and leaves and such. how well will cubies take to grass and leaves? would a wood lover be better? has anyone tried this b4?

any help is greatly appreciated:bow:

And to answer you question, take a look in the core of the pile to see what's up in there. Green grass clippings do add a good source of nitrogen to composting piles. So the end product may be suitable for dung lovers. I would simply try a small scale project with a dung lover to see how the compost colonizes. Make sure to try the stuff that's nice and dark in color. The compost should smell nice and earthy, like a rich potting soil. If the compost has a sweet smell to it, the nitrogen % was poor in the pile and will need for some to be added. Urea is a good nitrate additive.

#11 Lazlo

Lazlo

old hand

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 7,620 posts

Posted 11 July 2007 - 09:25 AM

Let me know Lazlo if you want one of these...

If you don't want that "Let it Rot" book, i'll take it off your hands. Hehe.

#12 Godflesh

Godflesh

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 628 posts

Posted 11 July 2007 - 10:55 AM

I have the same kind of pile! My nieghbor has been makein a leaf and grass pile for about 30 years! I have added tons of this to my veg. garden and the plants love it! I put some naturalized Azure mycelium under some tomato plants in about 6 inches of leaf mold and they are takeing to it but slowly. I also put some Caurples liquid culture in a spot but no sign of growth yet. There is Alot of bugs that may be eating it up to though! Dame Earwigs! Any body know how to get ride of them pesky shits? Anyway, Lazlo, I have about an ounce of stem buts from some Pan Cyans., Do you think it would be worth spreding it alound the garden in the leaf mold? I am sure their is a ton of spores in it also.

#13 crazy1

crazy1

Celestial Traveler

• VIP
  • 2,344 posts

Posted 11 July 2007 - 11:53 AM

To get rid of the earwigs, put a bottle of water 1/3 ti 1/2 full buried about 3/4 of the way down. You'll need to empty it pretty often but they'll climb in and not be able to climb out.
As to getting a pile of compost going a bit better molasses is a great way to feed the microbes. I use the stuff you get from a farm store for animal feed. Bulk is cheap that way.

#14 joecoolatc

joecoolatc

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 114 posts

Posted 11 July 2007 - 03:46 PM

the pile does smell earthy. it has been there for years just like rodeye said. i will do just as you say lazlo and post some pics if something comes up. thanks a million:eusa_clap

#15 suckerfree

suckerfree

GATE KEEPER

• OG VIP
  • 3,032 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 July 2007 - 09:56 PM

If you don't want that "Let it Rot" book, i'll take it off your hands. Hehe.

shoot me a pm

#16 Lazlo

Lazlo

old hand

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 7,620 posts

Posted 12 July 2007 - 10:12 AM

Sweet! Thanks SF.

The compost pile I have going ATM is piping hot! And this is only day 2 since the ingredients have been mixed and the pile was built. :cool:

#17 Godflesh

Godflesh

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 628 posts

Posted 12 July 2007 - 10:42 AM

I have the same kind of pile! My nieghbor has been makein a leaf and grass pile for about 30 years! I have added tons of this to my veg. garden and the plants love it! I put some naturalized Azure mycelium under some tomato plants in about 6 inches of leaf mold and they are takeing to it, but slowly. I also put some caerulipes liquid culture in a spot but no sign of growth yet. There is Alot of bugs that may be eating it up to though! Dame Earwigs! Any body know how to get ride of them pesky shits? Anyway, Lazlo, I have about an ounce of stem buts from some Pan Cyans., Do you think it would be worth spreading it around the garden in the leaf mold? I am sure their is a ton of spores in it also.

#18 Lazlo

Lazlo

old hand

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 7,620 posts

Posted 12 July 2007 - 11:20 AM

You might be able to get something to grow, but it's unlikely. Even if you did get something out of it, I doubt it would amount to an ounce. I'd just eat the stem butts and then call it the day.

#19 Godflesh

Godflesh

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 628 posts

Posted 13 July 2007 - 09:17 AM

You might be able to get something to grow, but it's unlikely. Even if you did get something out of it, I doubt it would amount to an ounce. I'd just eat the stem butts and then call it the day.

Can't eat the stem butts, too much dirt and things. I think I will pasterize some horse poo and mix with that, somewhere outside. Thanks!

#20 Orchidman

Orchidman

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 224 posts

Posted 14 July 2007 - 06:15 AM

Panaeolus subbalteatus will grow very nicely in a grass pile and will overwinter too.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!