• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Mychotic

Mychotic

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 90 posts

Posted 12 July 2007 - 01:30 PM

I'm sorry, I'm certain this question has been asked before but I just spent the last hour searching and found no answers...

Where can I get the plastic tubing commonly used in the straw log tek? I intend to finally start my first grow for a VERY long time, and would like to try this tek out.

Also, is it feasible to grow a/some log(s) in a full-sized closet? (not walk-in)

Thanks!

#2 CoyoteMesc

CoyoteMesc

howling mad

• Expired Member
  • 4,313 posts

Posted 12 July 2007 - 02:41 PM

http://mycotopia.net...awlog-bags.html

Are you using straw too? If so I like this one

#3 Mychotic

Mychotic

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 90 posts

Posted 13 July 2007 - 08:42 AM

Um.. thanks? I'm not sure if that answered the question, but thanks.

I found the tubing, so I'm good there, but does anybody know if the logs are growable in a closet-sized space? I have an aquarium air pump if I need to circulate air (with the door being closed and all).

Thanks in advance.

#4 dial8

dial8

3 Fungi Mod

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 5,654 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 July 2007 - 08:45 AM

Yeah you can do that as long as you maintain the proper rH level. Make sure the humidity stays up around 95% and circulate the air at least 2-3 times a day.

#5 CoyoteMesc

CoyoteMesc

howling mad

• Expired Member
  • 4,313 posts

Posted 13 July 2007 - 09:19 AM

I fixed the link...

Where can I get the plastic tubing commonly used in the straw log tek?

^^The link was to answer that question..^^

I didnt answer the other one.

Dial8 is correct tho...
I will add that they can grow in any area that the perimeters are controlled..RH, temp, FAE, cleanness..etc

Sorry for the dead link..

#6 Mychotic

Mychotic

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 90 posts

Posted 23 July 2007 - 09:26 PM

Oh, thanks! And my bad, I didn't realize the link was broken...

I can be fairly absent-minded at times. :special:

#7 Mychotic

Mychotic

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 90 posts

Posted 06 November 2007 - 10:20 PM

Ok, this process is moving along nicely so far... I'm getting excited!

But I have another question about this RH situation. Isn't the whole purpose of the plastic "tent" in the straw log tek to eliminate the need for ambient RH maintenance? Kinda the same effect as growing in a plastic bottle?

If I'm wrong about this, can anyone suggest an easy/inexpensive method to maintain the RH in a closet at about 95%?

#8 hyphaenation

hyphaenation

Former Staff

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 13,759 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 06 November 2007 - 11:04 PM

Take a large clear plastic tote. Drill 1/2 inch holes evenly paced all the way around. Silicone around the holes and cover each with a square of postal tyvek. Repeat last step inside.

Drill drain holes in the bottom if desired. Fill bottom 3 inches with washed , soaked, drained perlite and place logs either on a rack above or on tinfoil on top of the perlite.

This would be mainly for fruiting but in a dry scenerio you could colonize like this.

#9 Mychotic

Mychotic

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 90 posts

Posted 18 November 2007 - 01:30 PM

So should I assume that I'm wrong about the "tent"? I /will/ need more humidification than that? I know I read in the tek that it should be sufficient.

The tub thing would work I'm sure, but isn't half the point of the log tek to NOT go through the whole fruiting chamber construction process? It would be a giant pain in the ass considering the size of these logs, and would only occupy even more space than they already do.

#10 dial8

dial8

3 Fungi Mod

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 5,654 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 19 November 2007 - 01:01 PM

It depends on how big your tent is. If you are using the plastic the log was in to drape over the log then you should be fine without manually controlling the rH. The rH will be maintained by the straw log itself. But, you will still need to breifly remove the bag a couple of times a day to exchange the air.

#11 Mychotic

Mychotic

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 90 posts

Posted 11 December 2007 - 03:49 PM

Thanks for all of your help, guys! I am finally ready to assemble the log!

So I have another question: do I need any kind of special straw? Straw that hasn't been exposed to pesticides and whatnot? If so, where can I get such a thing? (can you tell I didn't grow up on a farm? lol)

#12 greenweanie

greenweanie

Post Whore Extraordinaire

• Expired Member
  • 469 posts

Posted 11 December 2007 - 05:08 PM

most straw that i know of hasnt been sprayed with pesticide due to the uses of straw (animal shelters, feeding animals, etc) . dont forget to lime soak the straw ;)

#13 Mychotic

Mychotic

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 90 posts

Posted 18 December 2007 - 03:25 AM

Thanks. How 'bout this lime, stuff? The bag I bought is "granulated lime(stone?)". It's full of tiny light-brownish pebbles that dissolve almost instantly on contact with water. It has the "100% natural" label like the one in the pic (found here: lime ).

I guess I'm just hoping this is the correct stuff?

#14 Mychotic

Mychotic

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 90 posts

Posted 20 December 2007 - 12:47 AM

Should I assume that the stuff I used was right, since my spawn is beginning to colonize the straw a mere 2 days post-innoculation!? :)

(signs of growth were visible within 24 hours, but "real" growth within 2 days)

I don't see any contams yet. I'll take that as a "good job, mychotic, you used the right stuff".

My appologies for dumb questions, this is my first time using a pasteurized process. Only grown cakes in the past.

Edit: I suppose my reason for doubting that this is the "right kind of lime" is that I expected the lime to be white or some sort of crystaline in appearance. Far from it. It looks like tiny brown rocks and, when dissolved in the water, appears to be a cloud of dirt.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!