• Please log in to reply
74 replies to this topic

#1 Workman

Workman

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 667 posts

Posted 14 July 2007 - 12:54 PM

This thread is a bit premature but I am so relieved I just had to post.

I was prompted by Prankster to look at my Psilocybe semperviva spores (aka Psilocybe hoogshagenii var. convexa) in cold storage. The last time I grew this species was in 2002 and when I opened up the prints I realized how few spores I actually had. Tiny light partial prints that might now be dead after over 5 years in storage. These prints were generated from the original Heim collection from the 1950's and are almost irreplaceable. I felt sick that through my neglect I had lost this species.

Fortunately, all plates germinated well and are well on their way to being transfered to substrates for grow out. And now I know that I can safely store spores of this species for at least 5 years.

I feel so much better :eusa_danc And now we dance!!!

#2 the_chosen_one

the_chosen_one

electro gypsy

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 8,113 posts

Donator

Posted 14 July 2007 - 01:34 PM

:dance:

#3 aumbrellaforainydays

aumbrellaforainydays

Holding Tank

• Expired Member
  • 1,328 posts

Posted 14 July 2007 - 04:12 PM

wow cool workman. its always exciting to see rare strains being cultivated. so they should look like these?:
77295-PIC00005.jpg
elektrolurch's semperviva's

#4 Workman

Workman

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 667 posts

Posted 14 July 2007 - 04:16 PM

That is correct. Those mushrooms were generated from the same spore stock. But after reviewing my collection notes it seems I also have a wild collection as well. So two plates of classic sempervivas and one plate of wild spores that may also be the same species. All are growing nicely.

I'm going to dig into my old photos for some of the specimens I produced. They aren't as nice as those but apparently thats because I used grass seed instead of straw.

#5 Algiz

Algiz

At the unbirthday party

• Expired Member
  • 14 posts

Posted 14 July 2007 - 05:19 PM

Glad to hear you haven't lost this fine species :):bow:

#6 prankster239

prankster239

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 382 posts

Posted 15 July 2007 - 05:43 AM

Great :eusa_clap. Im happy that you work on it , thats so nice mushrooms. I hope that will generate an new spore source for the community.

This is the source where the original cultures come from

DSMZ - Fungus: Psilocybe semperviva

I think Elektrolurch buyed them from B.I.O

#7 Workman

Workman

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 667 posts

Posted 15 July 2007 - 11:14 AM

Yes, that is also right. B.I.O. was purchasing all sorts of DSMZ material but only the semperviva proved fruitable. I got my material directly from B.I.O. and was able to fruit it fairly easily but the fruits were small and it never dropped much in the way of spores. Elektrolurch broke the code and found that large sporey fruits could be generated from pasturized straw. Something I need to try now.

#8 prankster239

prankster239

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 382 posts

Posted 15 July 2007 - 12:42 PM

Heim and Hofmann also grow them on straw/compost mixtures. I think many mexican species will grow with straw or composted wood.

but only the semperviva proved fruitable.

Maybe some strains was selected for other benefits then fruiting. The also work with liquid surface cultures and i think they also save strains how produce many mycel with an high psilocybin/psilocin content.
Maybe somebody had an source where the abilities of the different strains are.

B.I.O was an good grower and i think many peoples get cultures from him but maby they dont try the other dsmz strains much or they really dont produce fruits after this long time storage.

I dont know how B.I.O get the cultures in the past, today there is not much chance to get cultures from them. It would be nice to try some of the old ones out. Maby anywhere in the world are some left in private hand, so it would be nice to give them out :loveeyes:

The strains only die when nobody try to grow them.

P.S. Forgive me my bad english, im an German :nana:

#9 Workman

Workman

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 667 posts

Posted 15 July 2007 - 03:10 PM

I dug up this photo from 2002. I think it was my last attempt with this species. I then got distracted with the sclerotia formers and never got back to them.

Attached Thumbnails

• semperviva_2002.jpg

#10 prankster239

prankster239

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 382 posts

Posted 15 July 2007 - 03:15 PM

They look really not bad but also not optimal. I think on straw they will give nice shrooms. Elektrolurch writes they want more light.

#11 Cowcharmer

Cowcharmer

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 177 posts

Posted 01 August 2007 - 12:22 AM

:eusa_clap

Im glad it didn't die out.
Hows the potency ?

#12 Workman

Workman

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 667 posts

Posted 01 October 2007 - 01:30 PM

A little update. The image is of one of the original plates streaked with the old semperviva spores. As you can see it is badly contaminated, but clean transfers were made to new plates well before it got this bad. The plate was saved only as a backup in case the transfers were lost for some reason.

I haven't been working on this as quickly as I should but healthy cased trays are now in the fruiting chamber.

I did notice that the wild sample's mycelium is behaving much differently than the known samples. I looked at the spores under the microscope and they are indeed some other species. The unknown culture is very aggressive and I am hopeful that it will fruit and reveals its true identity.

Attached Thumbnails

• Psilocybe semperviva pin on agar (2) reduced.JPG

#13 prankster239

prankster239

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 382 posts

Posted 04 October 2007 - 03:16 PM

Cool 2 exotic pearlĀ“s awake to new life. You are my man, i hope you get many nice fruits.

#14 Workman

Workman

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 667 posts

Posted 17 October 2007 - 02:11 PM

I didn't use straw yet so I expect these mushrooms not to look perfectly normal, but they are coming along. Other attempts are in progress but not as far along. You can really see the relationship to Psilocybe weilii, P. caerulescens and P. villarrealii in the stem with the whitish layer of fibrils that breaks up as the stem expands.

Attached Thumbnails

• Psilocybe semperviva.jpg

#15 prankster239

prankster239

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 382 posts

Posted 17 October 2007 - 02:34 PM

:headbang: Great. You grow them on rye gras seeds?

They build good clusters. Keep us updated :eusa_clap

#16 prankster239

prankster239

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 382 posts

Posted 19 October 2007 - 05:54 PM

I wonder really why only 5 peoples reply to this great thread. Workman did great work and brings back a very beautiful psilocybe species. Who knows how long the original dsmz strain will fruit.

btw Workman, did you know wich strain from dsmz was your original? They have 3 but i think only B.I.O knows wich one is a fruiter.

#17 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 19 October 2007 - 06:06 PM

not much to say
but i watch closely...

#18 the_chosen_one

the_chosen_one

electro gypsy

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 8,113 posts

Donator

Posted 19 October 2007 - 06:21 PM

me too. this will make a great addition to the archives tho :D

#19 OooO

OooO

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 119 posts

Posted 19 October 2007 - 08:11 PM

yeah really great you saved them go on!!!

#20 hyphaenation

hyphaenation

Former Staff

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 13,759 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 19 October 2007 - 08:18 PM

Some important work going on here...

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!