• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#1 phalanx

phalanx

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 609 posts

Posted 29 March 2005 - 06:55 AM

At last I have found a host in Europe who is cool about aya and seems reliable. What important security/technical/legal/admin etc details should I know before going ahead with it?

I have it all planned out on paper. The host has a phpbb2 forum pre-installed. The site will be just a homepage and the forum. I want to have it as compact as possible. I like to run a tight ship.:) I will keep the number of forums to the minimum, and the archives will be stickies at the top of the relevant forums.

I'm not sure if i should allow discussion of a/b dmt extraction. I have little interest in it myself, and I'm worried it may draw heat above and beyond what i already face.

#2 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 29 March 2005 - 08:19 AM

it's not yage.net, is it ?
i would never host with them again.

#3 destroy_erase_improve

destroy_erase_improve

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 2,167 posts

Posted 29 March 2005 - 01:09 PM

good luck with your online site. hope you do well

#4 llama

llama

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 203 posts

Posted 29 March 2005 - 01:19 PM

What is your intention with starting this new site? How will it set itself apart from existing ayahuasca sites? I think it would be wise to steer away from a/b extraction discussion, for it is best to keep that realm distinctly separate from aya in the eyes of The Man, and probably in the eyes of everyone else too. Anyhow, if you have any details to reveal at this time I'd certainly be interested. Good luck.
Peace,
Llama

#5 phalanx

phalanx

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 609 posts

Posted 29 March 2005 - 03:10 PM

it's not yage.net, is it ?
i would never host with them again.

No way, not after what you told me about them/him. The place is in Switzerland. Free setup, 1250mb storage, and 8gb transfer per month. Including registering a domain name, it will cost me €80 for the year. The place is www.pchighway.com.

I plan to go with a .org suffix. Should i buy up .com too or is that a waste at this stage?

I noticed that the mysql database quota for the forum is a separate thing so maybe I should find that out. There is an antivirus mail check and spam check. Unlimited e-mail accounts and autoresponders and lots of other stuff. I think i will keep photos to a minimum because they would eat up the mysql memory and transfer quota too quickly. I might even turn off avatars to save space.

Llama, The only other dedicated aya website with a forum is ayahuasca.com. I don't like it. There is a bad vibe there which is hard to explain fully. It is too bogged down in shamanism and being "traditional". And the posting traffic is fairly sluggish. There are no proper teks or faqs. Other aya sites or website sections like erowid don't allow for discussion, they just display info. Erowid doesnt even give a proper brewing tek. Also, the info is spread out over loads of documents instead of concisely. Some of it is conflicting and even wrong.

I want a site that concentrates on helping newbies learn quickly about aya and have a successful first brew. At ayahuasca.com, this seems to be a casual afterthought. I will be promoting my alcoholic method rather than the regular methods of brewing.

I will have to become a moderator. I don't know how that will pan out. I think I'll forbid a/b extration discussion and direct people to other sites. It makes me uncomfortable.

I have chosen a name but won't reveal it until I have it registered. it will have "ayahuasca" in the title to help get a high search ranking. I will also try to get other sites to link to it and have aya mentioned a few times on the title page along with related words and in those "meta tags". i want it to appear right below or above aya.com in a google search. I will manually register it with search engines too.

Also, I have to delete my personal details from the domain name registration details which are public, and remove my e-mail address to avoid getting loads of junk mail.

#6 phalanx

phalanx

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 609 posts

Posted 29 March 2005 - 03:15 PM

I have to write up a disclaimer to be on the safe side.

What makes a good moderator? Is there a list of moderating rules somewhere?

#7 phalanx

phalanx

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 609 posts

Posted 29 March 2005 - 08:58 PM

http://www.sitepoint...moderator-guide

This seems to be a good moderating guide. i think i can handle it.

#8 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 29 March 2005 - 09:02 PM

8gb transfer per month

that's proly not going to be enough
for long
if the site does well.
might i suggest our own host,
snotek ?
he offers hsphere which allows to to
easily buy extra bandwidth/storage as needed
at a reasonable rate

#9 llama

llama

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 203 posts

Posted 29 March 2005 - 09:13 PM

I agree with you about ayahuasca.com, and I will be happy to see greater diversity in the community.
I would highly recommend registering the corresponding .com domain. $7-10/year is a small sum to pay for the knowledge that some fool can't come along and wreak havoc on accidental visitors.
Peace,
Llama

#10 dukex

dukex

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 583 posts

Posted 29 March 2005 - 09:15 PM

"shamanism and being "traditional""

I dont have a problem with that matter of fact I like it its that damn "I had a dream" and know one will answer question. There is a arogance over there I dont care for but at the same time I think aya is something you (being the user) need to do his/her homework on. I personally dont think its for everyone or it should be casual, of coarse after your first voyage that will be answered :)

If you need any help just PM me and good luck

Peace...

#11 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 29 March 2005 - 09:36 PM

yeah,
don't let anyone register your domain
or know the password
but you,
that's how unscrupulous hosts
steal your site once it's popular.

#12 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 29 March 2005 - 09:38 PM

There is a bad vibe there which is hard to explain fully

it's been like that
a very long time, too.
don't expect that to change.

#13 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 29 March 2005 - 09:46 PM

The only other dedicated aya website with a forum is ayahuasca.com. I don't like it. There is a bad vibe there which is hard to explain fully. It is too bogged down in shamanism and being "traditional". And the posting traffic is fairly sluggish. There are no proper teks or faqs. Other aya sites or website sections like erowid don't allow for discussion, they just display info. Erowid doesnt even give a proper brewing tek. Also, the info is spread out over loads of documents instead of concisely. Some of it is conflicting and even wrong.

I want a site that concentrates on helping newbies learn quickly about aya and have a successful first brew. At ayahuasca.com, this seems to be a casual afterthought.

not that i fear competition,
in fact i welcome new sites
but i'm curious
on how 'topia fares in your assessment
in this regard,
i.e. as a source & support network
for 'huascanauts ?
and how could we improve ?

#14 Guest_mindovermycelia_*

Guest_mindovermycelia_*

Posted 29 March 2005 - 09:55 PM

proly would be better than ayahuasca.com, it is def more about groups of shaman gathering in far away places.
I have thought about trying it if I could, but I think that shrooms are just as powerful with the extraction teks, from what I have read. And alc extracts don't make you sick like ayahuasca.
Peyote seems like more of a change from the usual trip to me, if you want to get real sick.

#15 phalanx

phalanx

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 609 posts

Posted 29 March 2005 - 10:03 PM

that's proly not going to be enough
for long
if the site does well.
might i suggest our own host,
snotek ?
he offers hsphere which allows to to
easily buy extra bandwidth/storage as needed
at a reasonable rate

i wrote to snotek ages ago but didn't hear anything back. And there were server speed problems here a while ago. Mycotopia is massive and I'd be afraid it might slow down my site if it is on the same server. :) The swiss host is connected to some super duper european high speed network. They also allow buying bandwith and memory as needed, or upgrading my account. They are cheaper than snotek too.

#16 dukex

dukex

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 583 posts

Posted 29 March 2005 - 10:04 PM

"yeah,
don't let anyone register your domain
or know the password
but you,
that's how unscrupulous hosts
steal your site once it's popular."

That sounds like experience talking, I remember some conversation about the yage.net but cant remember the specifics.

One thing about improving aya here might be to dedicate a forum to it instead of lumping it in with all Botanicals ? just a thought

Peace...

#17 phalanx

phalanx

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 609 posts

Posted 29 March 2005 - 10:12 PM

"shamanism and being "traditional""

I dont have a problem with that matter of fact I like it its that damn "I had a dream" and know one will answer question. There is a arogance over there I dont care for
Peace...

I don't mind people being into shamanism and traditions, i am very interested in it myself. But even brewing methods get shrouded in abrakedabra at aya.com. They go too far. Some seem use it as an excuse to be rude and unhelpful.

#18 llama

llama

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 203 posts

Posted 29 March 2005 - 10:22 PM

One thing about improving aya here might be to dedicate a forum to it instead of lumping it in with all Botanicals ? just a thought

I agree, this would certainly make it easier, but it seems that there are other forums that would take precedence if there were room for another, such as one for edible mushrooms.
The best resource I can think of would be a simple archive of tested recipes where people could post comments and experiences regarding each. That would be better than a forum where relevant info about one particular recipe might be scattered over a dozen threads.
I gotta just say that I've spent many many hours browsing through archived threads on ayahuasca.com, yet really haven't learned anymore there than a few focused discussions here have taught me.
Peace,
Llama

#19 phalanx

phalanx

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 609 posts

Posted 29 March 2005 - 10:25 PM

not that i fear competition,
in fact i welcome new sites
but i'm curious
on how 'topia fares in your assessment
in this regard,
i.e. as a source & support network
for 'huascanauts ?
and how could we improve ?

Honestly, I think Mycotopia is the best source of practical aya information on the net. The problem is that someone looking for aya info isn't going to look here. They will do a search for ayahuasca and ayahuasca.com will come up top of the list. The unfortunate newbie will go there, get the run-around, possibly get ripped a new asshole, have a few dud/weak brews due to conflicting/bad/vague/no advice, get pissed off and swear never to take the stuff again. Disaster.

I want to create a dedicated site which a newbie can find easily in a search, and which will help him have a successful first trip easily.

#20 phalanx

phalanx

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 609 posts

Posted 29 March 2005 - 10:42 PM

Mycotopia is a mushroom site and the best in my opinion. it should keep its focus on that. I don't think a dedicated aya forum would be appropriate here.

Would it be ok if I copy some stuff from here for my site? I would credit and link each piece to mycotopia. I have to write up all sorts of teks and faqs for the site and you can copy them to mycotopia if you want.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!