• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#21 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 29 March 2005 - 10:48 PM

Would it be ok if I copy some stuff from here for my site? I would credit and link each piece to mycotopia.

that would be fine.

#22 viraljimmy

viraljimmy

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 452 posts

Posted 30 March 2005 - 08:08 AM

Sounds cool. I say go for it.

#23 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 30 March 2005 - 08:21 AM

there are other forums that would take precedence if there were room for another, such as one for edible mushrooms.

you know why i don't split it like that ?
because by doing so
i'd be setting myself up legally
in that the other forum would
then strictly be about psilocybes.
i prefer a defense strategy which postulates
that psilos are edibles and thus we make no distinction.

anyone have a few pointers on how to push 'topia up
a few spots in the search engines for ayahuasca ?

#24 dukex

dukex

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 583 posts

Posted 30 March 2005 - 08:42 AM

"anyone have a few pointers on how to push 'topia up
a few spots in the search engines for ayahuasca ?"

I would first get it into my meta tag list here is the current one here ...

<meta name="keywords" content="mushroom, mush, psilocybin, psilocin, drugs, pedro, san pedro, psilocybe, cubensis, fanaticus, mycology, hallucinogens, mushroom spores, spores, psilocybe mushrooms, mushroom, mushrooms, spore, mushroom pictures, psilocybin, psilocybe, psilocin, mushroom spores, magic mushroom spores, sacred mushroom spores, rare mushroom spores, spiritual mushroom spores, wild mushroom spores, scientific research mushroom spores, mushroom cultivation, shroomery, ralphsterspores, thehawkseye, sporelab, sacredshrooms, nan's nook, nook, the little guy, high times, overgrow, mycotopia"

No mention of aya .. you can also do something I have done with some summer help was for her to manually go to the top 100 search engines and submit the site. Keywords are important, the way the search engines work now is totally different that it used to be. They will probably use spiders (robots) to search the site and count instances of the keywords. One thing about the meta I have seen lately not sure if it does any good is people are putting them in UPPER case and lower case. Of coarse you could google yourself and look at the page source and see what the ones at the top are putting in the meta tag list. If that was not coherent let me know, coffee is done :)

Peace...

#25 dukex

dukex

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 583 posts

Posted 30 March 2005 - 11:11 AM

GoogleAds is another look at shroomery almost every page at the bottom Very popular now.

Peace...

#26 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 30 March 2005 - 11:50 AM

look at the page source and see what the ones at the top are putting in the meta tag list.

don't seem to be having much luck,
can you assist ?

#27 Zen_

Zen_

Timelord

• Founders
  • 5,088 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 30 March 2005 - 12:07 PM

i wrote to snotek ages ago but didn't hear anything back. And there were server speed problems here a while ago. Mycotopia is massive and I'd be afraid it might slow down my site if it is on the same server. The swiss host is connected to some super duper european high speed network. They also allow buying bandwith and memory as needed, or upgrading my account. They are cheaper than snotek too.

Was that you? I remember the conversations in that we responded to you multiple times. I believe there were some issues on your end that needed worked out and we were waiting to her back from you. I also sent another follow-up email a little while ago with no response.

As far as the issues you mentioned they've all been resolved. We are splitting our services and dividing clients amongst two strong data centers here in the US. Most of our lower end customers have no problems with our servers in Orlando, FL. That data center has many high speed, redundant connections, and services many thousands of customers. It's now on the lower end of our offerings but still very competitive with lower end sites.

Our newest setup, located in Dallas, TX at The Planet data center, is a Quad 2.8 XEON system built for our higher end customers. The machines there will not be as loaded as the ones in FL and will provide for faster access, bandwidth, and more system resources. Mycotopia will be moved to that server within the week, which should resolve any and all issues the site is currently facing. Given the 9million hits a month, excessive bandwidth consumption, and large disk usage; the servers in TX will be more suited for this task.

We are currently overhauling all of our online offerings and hosting/design services to incorporate these changes into our sites. Once this server is online for signups we'll be directing the larger, more demanding customers to the TX data center while keeping the lower end customer at FL.

The only comments that I can make about price as been my experience is that you get what you pay for. Our services are offered at competitive rates but include more than what's described in most circumstances. We try to develop and maintain personal relationships will all of our clients and will go the extra mile to make sure you're a satisfied customer. With many other companies, especially hosting companies, you'll find it to be a cold operation with little interaction once they get your account setup. Knowing we're US based and integrated well within the community you can take heart in knowing we'll be here to assist with anything you need, ever.

Do some research, make some calls... and feel free to contact us if you need anything.

#28 dukex

dukex

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 583 posts

Posted 30 March 2005 - 02:05 PM

" can you assist ?"

Sure I will first google "ayahuasa" then look at lets say the top three sites meta tag list.

Ok I dont want to post there links here so I will do it like this.

First site w w w dot ayuhuasca dot com bad example they use none, they are getting by because there site name and probably a million keywords (ayahuasca) on all there pages.

Second site w w w dot erowid dot org /chemicals/ayahuasca/ayahuasca.shtml

<META NAME="description" CONTENT="Information on Ayahuasca including research, legislation, media coverage, bibliography and lots of links.">
<META NAME="keywords" CONTENT="psychoactive drugs, entheogens, psychedelics, hallucinogens, ayahuasca, vine of souls, the vine of the dead, huasca hoasca ayawaska dmt, organic, south american">

Third site w w w dot biopark dot org/ayahuasca.html

<meta name="Keywords" content="ayahuasca, Banisteriopsis, caapi, rusbyana, chacruna, Psychotria, viridis, Diplopterys, cabrerana, inebrians, shaman, curandero, Amazon">

I have to run bbl here is a link on meta tags how they work and what they are good for http://www.apromotio...om/metatag.html and http://www.apromotio...m/keywords.html

Peace...

#29 llama

llama

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 203 posts

Posted 30 March 2005 - 05:06 PM

i prefer a defense strategy which postulates
that psilos are edibles and thus we make no distinction.

Point appreciated. Still, I think that an aya forum would detract from the overall myconess.

#30 phalanx

phalanx

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 609 posts

Posted 30 March 2005 - 07:23 PM

anyone have a few pointers on how to push 'topia up
a few spots in the search engines for ayahuasca ?

As well as meta tags, aya should be mentioned explicitly on the home page. All other botanicals like cactus etc should be mentioned too. There is loads of quality solid info in botanicals but mostly only mycotopiates would know about it.

Maybe you could start a virtual sub-site called Plantopia which would simply be the botanicals forum re-named and promoted as a major part of mycotopia rather than a minor section. It should be mentioned on the homepage with its own logo and link. You could have sub-forums within Plantopia devoted to major botanicals like aya. In this way it won't crowd the normal mycotopia board and can keep its separate identity. It would be its own little world.

Maybe you could get Erowid to give you an aya link to Plantopia. I read that links from busy sites boosts your search ranking.

#31 llama

llama

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 203 posts

Posted 30 March 2005 - 07:33 PM

Maybe you could get Erowid to give you an aya link to Plantopia. I read that links from busy sites boosts your search ranking.

Such links are the primary factor in the ranking algorithms of search engines these days.
I like the idea of a spinoff site or site section (Plantopia). Maybe Phytotopia or Phytopia, I'm not sure which would be correct.
-L

#32 phalanx

phalanx

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 609 posts

Posted 30 March 2005 - 07:50 PM

Was that you? I remember the conversations in that we responded to you multiple times. I believe there were some issues on your end that needed worked out and we were waiting to her back from you. I also sent another follow-up email a little while ago with no response.

I only sent one e-mail so it must have been someone else. It must have got lost or mislaid somewhere. I will keep Snotek in mind.:)

9 million hits a month!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I never thought mycotopia was THAT busy. How much memory does the site take up? What is the transfer rate per month? How big is the mysql database? Is this all top secret?

#33 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 30 March 2005 - 07:55 PM

we've recently trimmed off a lot,
at our peak
we occupied about 4 gig of storage
and used about 120 gigs of bandwidth a month.
our recent move/upgrade cut that
roughly in half.
if i told you any more
i'd have to kill ya.
;)

#34 phalanx

phalanx

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 609 posts

Posted 30 March 2005 - 08:09 PM

we've recently trimmed off a lot,
at our peak
we occupied about 4 gig of storage
and used about 120 gigs of bandwidth a month.
our recent move/upgrade cut that
roughly in half.

Wow, even half that is phenomenal.

if i told you any more
i'd have to kill ya.
;)

LOL, i bet you would n' all. I can imagine you with a sawn-off shotgun in each hand.:)

#35 dukex

dukex

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 583 posts

Posted 30 March 2005 - 08:31 PM

I would still update your meta tags these are not irrelevant every search engine has different methods of generating pagerank.

Then submit to googles and the yahoos out there through there add site links, I would hit all the the search engines even the less popluar ones.

http://www.google.co...ontinue=/addurl
http://search.yahoo....nfo/submit.html

And of coarse the before mentioned google adsense with the number of hits you are getting this can only generate many more hits.

Peace...

#36 SyntheMesc

SyntheMesc

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 37 posts

Posted 31 March 2005 - 12:18 AM

Hey, read this thread and finally found the motivation to register.

I'm a long time lurker, and somewhat dissatisfied member of the aya.com
community pleased to see the possibility of an alternative aya site popping
up.

Anyways, I look forward to having furthur discussion with you folks, and good luck with the aya site, independent or topia offshoot alike.

#37 dukex

dukex

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 583 posts

Posted 31 March 2005 - 08:05 AM

Welcome SyntheMesc

There is all the information for aya one would need here but you will have to do some searching and looking. Maybe we can talk Hippie into taking the best aya thread from the archive and pinning it under Ethnobotanicals.

Peace...

#38 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 31 March 2005 - 09:36 AM

i did edit in several new meta-tags with a huasca-theme.
i'll see what i can do on your other suggestions.
of course
i defer to our friend phalanx,
i do not want to step all over his idea,
i fully support it.

#39 Zen_

Zen_

Timelord

• Founders
  • 5,088 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 31 March 2005 - 10:35 AM

i did edit in several new meta-tags with a huasca-theme.

I forgot to check last night... I take it you found it?

#40 SyntheMesc

SyntheMesc

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 37 posts

Posted 31 March 2005 - 10:40 AM

Welcome SyntheMesc

There is all the information for aya one would need here but you will have to do some searching and looking. Maybe we can talk Hippie into taking the best aya thread from the archive and pinning it under Ethnobotanicals.

Peace...

Thanks for the reply.

No need to go out of the way (at least not on my behalf) searching out and pinning threads or anything like that, I'm quite familiar with a number of different brewing techniques.

However, I am interested in toying with phalanx's alcohol extraction. Having discovered the pf psilocybe alcohhol extract over here at topia, and found it to be quite reliable, I'm wondering if I can't just go ahead and toss a decent portion of ground vine and cubensis into alcohol and go from there.

I've found cubensis to be a quite favourable admix when drinking aya, and look forward to reporting back on a dual aya/cube alcohol extract.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!