Fisana

- - - - -

Metarhizium anisopliae

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_myco_*

Guest_myco_*

Posted 16 February 2005 - 02:39 PM

last winter, a bit by accident, i started to follow a course on beekeeping. the theorethical part of it. this happened on a sunday morning while we students tried to keep our eyes open, anyway...
when one sunday a guy starts to talk about the parasites of bees, i decided to do a search on cures to kill the beeparasite named varroa. that's where i found articles mentioning the use of an earthfungus named metarhizium anisopliae.
I was wondering if any of you can give me some advice on obtaining, and or culturing this very interesting fungi that could provide a much more biologically sound alternative to what is used today. Since i'm a member of the local beekeepers here, it' easy to obtain the varroa for testing if the strains of metarhizium anisopliae are effective or not.
And best wishes of course to you all for the new year
May your lifes be filled with culture Posted Image

#2 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 18 February 2005 - 09:22 PM

strains of metarhizium anisopliae

hmmm
hope someone else can help
as i surely can not.
sorry

#3 perrch01

perrch01

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 1,473 posts

Posted 18 February 2005 - 09:29 PM

I googled it but all I could find even remotely close to obtaining it was someone saying that the company that manufactured it for termite control discontinued it but that it should be in production soon for parasite control for bees. Sorry

http://www.beesource...ic;f=3;t=000330

#4 Guest_mycophil_*

Guest_mycophil_*

Posted 19 February 2005 - 03:09 PM

Thanks for the reply, i've added the beesource to the favs. Sounds not too bad. Other sources mentioned 2 yrs before it enters the stores. From what i've understood about this fungus, there seem to be many strains with very different effects on different insects. In one database I've seen a lot of different strains so testing would probably take a while too.
It's at the meetings of the beekeepers that i became extra aware of the power of boards like mycotopia, i've been asking them to consider making a local beeforum so problems could be handled as soon as they arrive. Like the coffee-experiments a while ago, suddenly many people started experiments with coffee and reporting on it,speeding up knowledge.
That is a great power we have here to improve life conditions.
Can't wait to get my hand on the spores of this friendly fungus...
A bit funny that beekeeping just brings me back to mycology :)

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!