• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 smacked12

smacked12

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 221 posts

Posted 14 July 2007 - 10:20 PM

there are a few different ways this can be done. i'm doing it with the solvents i have handy...

iso(isopropanol) and Acetone

why iso? mescaline is extremely soluble in iso at room temp
why acetone? mescaline isn't soluble(ok it is but barely) in room temp tone

this could be done with acetone alone but, you would have to heat it to dissolve your mescaline. plus you would probably need more than i am using here.

notice i'm using 70% iso, i don't recommend this but, it's all i had on hand. try to get 91% at least and dry it if possible.

http://mycotopia.net...=1&d=1184472077

first dissolve your sanchez in a minimal amount of iso. add it a little at a time until all of your sanchez is dissolved. i used a bit to much here. but, hey, you try pouring and shooting a pic at the same time.

once it's all dissolved add your tone. i add enough to triple the volume in the jar.

and swirl a bit. the acetone will pic up the impurities while it leaves most of your mescaline untouced.

at this point put the jar into a water bath and evap. as the volume of iso and tone reduce you will begin to see mescaline crashing out.

can you see it?

at this point take your jar and let it cool to room temp then place it in the freezer overnight. in the morning you should have a nice pile of crystals in your jar you'll need to filter out.

to filter i place a cotton ball into a funnel, swirl the jar to loosen crystals and pour into the funnel quickly. i also give a final rinse with chilled tone.

this process may need to be repeated with extremely dirty sanchez, depending on the results you are looking for.

pictures of the results to come....

Attached Thumbnails

• 5.jpg
  • 4.jpg
  • 2.jpg
  • 3.jpg
  • 1.jpg

#2 Pedestrian

Pedestrian

Dreamspace Transient

• Expired Member
  • 572 posts

Posted 15 July 2007 - 05:23 AM

Cool... Always good to see extractions in action.

Looking forward to seeing what you come out with.

#3 smacked12

smacked12

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 221 posts

Posted 15 July 2007 - 08:25 AM

Looking forward to seeing what you come out with.

still in the freezer but, i can tell you i will get back a really extremely fine crystal(can be a bitch to filter). kind of like fluffy snow. my choice of solvent and the dirty sanchez i used assure that.

mek is a much better solvent to use. you can produce some beautiful crystals with it. it does require boiling though. caljet666 outlines it in my other post. http://mycotopia.net...html#post407275

#4 Caljet666

Caljet666

Dumbass

• Expired Member
  • 368 posts

Posted 16 July 2007 - 02:59 AM

Lookin' forward to seein' your results too.

Drrroooooolllllll. lol.

#5 tregar

tregar

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 1,031 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 July 2007 - 06:11 PM

Smacked12, you rock!

I've been looking for how to do this.

I've been cleaning up some very brown sanchez using ice cold acetone & buchner filter with cotton, in dreams but many impurities are getting trapped in the cotton with the mescaline. (using a mortar & pestal to mix the sanchez with acetone)

Thanks, will give this a go.

Also, thanks for the mek link.

Pics are awesome!

#6 smacked12

smacked12

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 221 posts

Posted 16 July 2007 - 06:29 PM

Smacked12, you rock!

I've been looking for how to do this.

I've been cleaning up some very brown sanchez using ice cold acetone & buchner filter with cotton, in dreams but many impurities are getting trapped in the cotton with the mescaline. (using a mortar & pestal to mix the sanchez with acetone)

Thanks, will give this a go.

Also, thanks for the mek link.

Pics are awesome!

mek is really the way to go. this method works but, like i said you end up with a really fine crystal which can be a bitch to filter. with mek you'll have nice chunky crystals.

the bit that i cleaned in the photo only produced a tiny bit of pure mescaline. but, that was to be expected, it was from the 5th and 6th saltings. i'm not going to screw with it until i have more crap to toss in with it. going through the process of filtering for 100-150mg isn't worth it imho.

#7 i01231

i01231

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 173 posts

Posted 16 July 2007 - 08:46 PM

why do you use Iso to dissole the sanchez first and then wash with acetone? Wouldn't it be easier just to put the sanchez in a funnel with a cotton ball filter and wash with Acetone ?
That's what i've read in other teks and worked very well so far.

#8 Caljet666

Caljet666

Dumbass

• Expired Member
  • 368 posts

Posted 16 July 2007 - 08:55 PM

why do you use Iso to dissole the sanchez first and then wash with acetone? Wouldn't it be easier just to put the sanchez in a funnel with a cotton ball filter and wash with Acetone ?
That's what i've read in other teks and worked very well so far.

That kind of defeats the purpose of dual solvent recrystalisation. When the crystals crash out of the iso the clean ones crash first. There is still sanchez left in the iso after this procedure but it is a lot dirtier. Dual sovent recrystalisations are a lot better for cleanliness. After all, cleanliness is godliness.

Hope that helps clear thinks up for ya.

#9 drzing

drzing

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 23 posts

Posted 18 July 2007 - 09:11 PM

Very educative post.
There´s only one detail I´d like to know more clearly - are the precipitates in freebase form or already as salts?
Thanks,

DR

#10 Caljet666

Caljet666

Dumbass

• Expired Member
  • 368 posts

Posted 19 July 2007 - 05:36 AM

That would be the salt form.

Peace
Caljet

#11 drzing

drzing

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 23 posts

Posted 20 July 2007 - 10:33 PM

Ok but acetone, are you talking about anhydrous acetone? Because regular stuff has water in it and will dissolve salts, reduce yield...

What if we keep it basic? So none will dissolve in water... Or use anhydrous then.

DR ZING

#12 Caljet666

Caljet666

Dumbass

• Expired Member
  • 368 posts

Posted 20 July 2007 - 10:52 PM

Anhydrous is good

If it is kept basic it will dissolve in the acetone

Its not that bad having a little water in there though. The idea is to have as much mescaline dissolved in the polar solvent(s) as possible. Swim always saturates the polar solvent(s) at boiling temp (water is a polar solvent). When the polar(s) are in the freezer and become ice cold, most of the mescaline is crashed out due to the difference in amount dissolved at high and low temps. A small amount of mescaline is left in the polar(s) but the impurities are as well.

#13 smacked12

smacked12

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 221 posts

Posted 25 July 2007 - 03:29 AM

i finally got around to finishing this up. procrastination, it's a way of life.

end result....

http://mycotopia.net...=1&d=1185355960

it's still a bit wet. once dry i expect it to be a nice light tan.

the 70% iso really worked against me here. there was to much water to do a proper freeze precip. in the end i had to boil my acetone/iso mixture down quite a bit. i reduced it by half then restored the volume with anhydrous tone. i did that twice than stuck it back in the freezer for 24 hours. a bit of pain in the ass, but in the end some what decent results.

next round i'll be hitting it up with mek/dh20

Attached Thumbnails

• last.jpg

#14 Caljet666

Caljet666

Dumbass

• Expired Member
  • 368 posts

Posted 25 July 2007 - 04:58 AM

Cool. Swims real jealous, still no mesc source for him.

Swim believes you may have had better results if the polar solvents (water and iso) were saturated at boiling temp. A lot more should have crashed out in the freeze, however, your posts on mescaline extraction have been outstanding.

Nice work bro.
Peace
Caljet

#15 smacked12

smacked12

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 221 posts

Posted 25 July 2007 - 03:14 PM

yeah, there are a number of things i could've, should've done differently to acheive better results. i was really just playing though. there's something about a pile of mescaline that just shouts play with me.

#16 Lefty

Lefty

Arrogant Asshole

• Expired Member
  • 2,333 posts

Posted 25 July 2007 - 06:05 PM

I have little business here, but w/a Buchner funnel the stone/filter paper removes the need for cotton (do a second pull!), mek is a better solvent for that application (what temp mek?-do your homework, what makes crystals drop?), and a syringe w/needle (junkie tek/suck liquid through needled syringe from cotton) is the way to go.
Be very cautious boiling mek, but the solubility of that paticular solvent is rather temperature dependent.

#17 Caljet666

Caljet666

Dumbass

• Expired Member
  • 368 posts

Posted 26 July 2007 - 03:45 AM

Caution boiling mek is definately a must. I have said this before but it can't be said enough IMO. The thermostat in most electric hotplates can cause a spark when it is turning on or off. Solder it shut and put a light dimmer switch in the power cord.

80 deg C is its boiling point, so that is how hot you want it. Use enough mek that the water in it only just dissolves the mesc while it is boiling, or you could use a little less and add dH2O dropwise until the rest dissolves, again while boiling.

The hot water will dissolve a fair bit of mesc. When you put it in the freezer it won't be able to hold near as much mesc and it will crash out, leaving a most of the crap behind.

Buchner funnels are worth there weight in gold in conjuction with vacuum. If you dont have them, at least filter in the freezer while the solution is still cold.

You could also, if you want, put the mesc in boiling anhydrous mek and add ethanol, iso or some other polar solvent dropwise until it all dissolves.

Different combinations will work against different impurities, however swim finds mek to be the best if you are going to use only 1.

Stay Safe
Peace
Caljet

#18 Lefty

Lefty

Arrogant Asshole

• Expired Member
  • 2,333 posts

Posted 28 July 2007 - 09:39 AM

Or choose a suitable cylinder & microwave the mek. That shit can get out of hand VERY fast, but there is no spark. I hear it reeks.
Keep in mind shutting off aforementioned microwave by the switch does not introduce air ala opening the door. If one does not really know what they are doing they SHOULD NOT put highly flammable solvents in the microwave because Lefty said to. I feel I should mention ether is an extremely dangerous if effective solvent that should NEVER EVER enter a microwave. Insidious fumage. I would bet one would never forget the experience.

#19 drzing

drzing

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 23 posts

Posted 28 July 2007 - 04:15 PM

Hi guys, I read somewhere (sorry, can´t find the link) about a guy who crystallized out the M of a T. terschekii extract, and took only the impurities, he said he had an experience on it...

Has anybody already tried the impurities?

DR ZING

#20 Caljet666

Caljet666

Dumbass

• Expired Member
  • 368 posts

Posted 28 July 2007 - 05:24 PM

That is interesting. I can believe that. I read somewhere, I think, that there are tons of psychoactive alkaloids/chemicals in cactus. If someone had a fractional distillation apparatus that operated under vacuum they could try all the fractions and see which did what. Only problem would be knowing which fraction is what.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!