• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 TennesseeJed

TennesseeJed

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 43 posts

Posted 13 January 2007 - 04:49 PM

This is 17 SA brf cakes crumbled up and put in the bottom. It showed it's first pins the day before christmas. It has been pinning since and all have aborted. They all keep aborting. I dont' understand.

Attached Thumbnails

• DSCF1704.JPG
  • DSCF1703.JPG
  • DSCF1702.JPG
  • DSCF1705.JPG
  • DSCF1706.JPG

#2 spacecake

spacecake

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 4,563 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 January 2007 - 05:32 PM

Did you crumble the cakes and put verm on top of it,or have you mixed the verm thru the crumbled cakes ?
Need more info...

Maybe you forgot to let it recover a little bit after crumbeling the cakes ?
Casing doesn't look good,I see no myc. on top...

#3 dial8

dial8

3 Fungi Mod

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 5,767 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 January 2007 - 05:39 PM

How deep is the sub layer and the casing layer?

#4 TennesseeJed

TennesseeJed

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 43 posts

Posted 13 January 2007 - 07:02 PM

sublayer is 2-3" casing is 1/2 to 3/4"

#5 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• 14,665 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 January 2007 - 08:10 PM

I'd ditch the lid and replace it with a clean towel that you can attach with binder clips (for holding papers together, from Office Depot) or a bungee cord. Keep the towel wet at all times...it allows more air exchange and I get perfect flushes in bins like that. I use a white (clean) bath towel, and mix a little H2O2 into the water I use to keep it moist.

I'd also dump/pull/spoon whatever as much of the loose vermiculite off it as possible. When I crumble cakes, I've never needed to add anything as a casing and got great results. It may or may not be related, but the only thing I see different about your bin from mine is the added verm layer (and my towel). So this time, I'd toss the verm and add a wet towel.

But that's me...

#6 {Mr}fLoYd

{Mr}fLoYd

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 209 posts

Posted 13 January 2007 - 11:47 PM

yah im no cake expert but i would say that u didnt let the mycelium recover. its been stressed sort of . fresh air usually affects aborts too. more info on how you ran temps and time after applying the casing material is needed. IE did u incubate after crumbling and casing at 82F for 4 days then drop temp or did u crumble, case, and hit right @ 76F to innitiate pinning. more infor means more responces and less speculation.

#7 fastfred

fastfred

Former Member

• Banned Member
  • 72 posts

Posted 14 January 2007 - 08:28 AM

#1 Why is there verm slopped all up the sides of the tub?

#2 I don't see any abhorts.

You're probably having humitity problems. Myc should be cased in trays sitting on top of perlite. It looks like you're trying a monotub type setup. You need to leave monotubs be so that the humitity can get hig enough.

I see no myc, that indicates that it hasn't colonised the casing layer properly. You might have cased too thick or not used enough colonized substrate.

-FF

#8 mullugh

mullugh

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 350 posts

Posted 14 January 2007 - 09:23 AM

It could be genetic as once or twice this has happened to me.

#9 TennesseeJed

TennesseeJed

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 43 posts

Posted 14 January 2007 - 03:36 PM

I crumbled and let it recover for 3 days. Then I laid a small layer of verm casing like 1/4" or less. after a couple of days it had broke through the casing in spots and was pinning. Then aborts... more aborts.... then I thought it was humidity too low so i added more casing and misted.

#10 Sky Rayven

Sky Rayven

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 652 posts

Posted 14 January 2007 - 06:25 PM

I am somewhat of a noobie, so take this advice knowing that I am still new.

I have speculated that your casing is vermiculite only.

If that is true then I would suggest adding a little bit of coir to the casing mixture. Mycelium loves coir. I am using about 25% Coir to 75% Verm.

You also mentioned that you were misting. I belive that misting is not good for pins.

Now if you mean that you misted the casing layer just after applying it then no problem.

I like to add my casing layer dry and then mist it down to field capasity or so.

However after that point I use the dribble tek. That means that I have a water bottle with distilled water and some fish tank tubing affixed to the cap to release the water slowly. I gently dribble water over the top every few days or so. For what ever reason this does not seem to harm the little young ones.

From what I have read (point and case) misting pins will cause them to abhort.

Hope this helps you

#11 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• 14,665 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 January 2007 - 03:13 AM

Misting/spraying pins directly will result in a lot of aborts IF there is inadequate air exchange, and ideally there should be constant air movement throughout the environment like in large, professional grow houses. The towel method adds a lot of air exchange while maintaining adequate humidity (maybe it should be a tek? Next run I'll take pics).

Another suggestion I have is to stop misting altogether as the pins set, and only spraying the sides of the bin itself if necessary. By the time they are set they don't need the full 100% humidity that cakes without a casing do. Soak 'em good between flushes.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!