Paradox
©
Fisana

Photo
- - - - -

Flow hood filter question !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 sadsoul

sadsoul

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 199 posts

Posted 30 March 2005 - 05:28 PM

Hi my friends!!!!!!!
I want to start playing with agar but i don't have the money for a real
flow hood filter , so i was thinking to do a small one just to transfer the
live tissue to the petri dish quickly , so i was searching for info and i found
a Hepa , Holmes replacement filter that removes up to 99.9% of airborne
particulates at .3 microns, should it work? And will a 135 c/f cage blower
work for this filter? Here's a pic ............//////////////////////

Best wishes !!!!!!!Always !!!!!!!!!Sincerely ..............////////////////

Attached Thumbnails

• 487686_sk_md.jpg

#2 highflyer

highflyer

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 423 posts

Posted 30 March 2005 - 11:08 PM

Id bet that filter does not give the static pressure it runs at on the packaging since its a replacement filter for a prebuilt unit. Read my post here on how to match a filter to a blower.
http://mycotopia.net...html?1069556827

Aside from that you would probably be better off working in a glovebox than trying to build a small flowhood from that filter. It wont create a laminar flow.

#3 Guest_Peter Cottontail_*

Guest_Peter Cottontail_*

Posted 30 March 2005 - 11:15 PM

Agreed. A glove box will work far better than that thing. In fact, a properly made glove box will perform as well as a laminar flow hood. The flow hood is just much easier and faster to work with.
RR

#4 destroy_erase_improve

destroy_erase_improve

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 2,167 posts

Posted 30 March 2005 - 11:23 PM

In fact, a properly made glove box will perform as well as a laminar flow hood. The flow hood is just much easier and faster to work with.
RR

that is the comment of the day imo
it gives hope to those who cant afford a flowhood but want to do agar and g2g transfers. if they dont mind the pain in the ass of working in a confined area, etc. it can be done.
comment of the fricken day

#5 highflyer

highflyer

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 423 posts

Posted 30 March 2005 - 11:41 PM

I would definately agree. I only used a glovebox for several years before I made my first flowhood. They can easily get the job done. Its just a PITA compared to a hood.

#6 destroy_erase_improve

destroy_erase_improve

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 2,167 posts

Posted 30 March 2005 - 11:55 PM

if your doing agar dishes in a glovebox. are you moving slow as to not stir up any would be contams. or are you moving fast to elimate the amount of time the dishes are open

#7 Guest_Peter Cottontail_*

Guest_Peter Cottontail_*

Posted 31 March 2005 - 02:14 AM

Whether in front of a flow hood or inside a glovebox, you want the lid off a petri dish the minimum amount of time possible. You work fast, but deliberately. You just washed the inside of the glovebox with soap and water, so there should be nothing really to stir up. Get the agar ready to pour before you lift the lid of the petri dish. I lift a lid, pour the agar, then replace the lid within five seconds. I also use tyvek sleeves on my glovebox so I can remove my hands. This lets me keep the alcohol lamp on the outside. It works like a charm.
RR

#8 sadsoul

sadsoul

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 199 posts

Posted 31 March 2005 - 09:30 AM

Thanks guys !!!!!!!!!
So yestertday i turned my ion generator all the way , sprayed the room with a 10% solution of bleach and no air movement , and i made a cardboard culture just to test my inviorment with some inner GT live tissue , Lets hope for the best ..........//////////////............

best wishes !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Thanks again my friends !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#9 destroy_erase_improve

destroy_erase_improve

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 2,167 posts

Posted 31 March 2005 - 09:31 AM

and if i remember correctly you use soap and water to clean
not lysol or alky
do you know of a place to get the tyvek sleeves at a reasonable price by any chance?

#10 Guest_Peter Cottontail_*

Guest_Peter Cottontail_*

Posted 31 March 2005 - 09:43 AM

I plan to offer some of that kind of stuff on RR Videos, when I get it running. Right now, I only have a source to get them at a reasonable price in boxes of 1000. PM me an addy and I'll shoot ya a few pairs next time I go to the post office.

Soap and water is what I recommend for gloveboxes. The glovebox need not be sterile, since you don't dump the grains out on the floor. It only needs to be a 'still air' environment. For cleaning an entire room's air, ten percent bleach works great. Lysol is a surface disinfectant. If you're cloning onto cardboard, you need to keep it really wet.
RR

#11 sadsoul

sadsoul

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 199 posts

Posted 31 March 2005 - 10:17 AM

It's wet , not dripping water but wet.
best wishes..............////////////

#12 destroy_erase_improve

destroy_erase_improve

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 2,167 posts

Posted 31 March 2005 - 10:38 AM

good luck sad
hope the ion works out for you
i have high hopes for it.

#13 sadsoul

sadsoul

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 199 posts

Posted 31 March 2005 - 10:44 AM

Thanks man !!
I hope too......////////......

#14 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 18 October 2005 - 09:11 AM

Id bet that filter does not give the static pressure it runs at on the packaging since its a replacement filter for a prebuilt unit. Read my post here on how to match a filter to a blower.
http://mycotopia.net...html?1069556827
Aside from that you would probably be better off working in a glovebox than trying to build a small flowhood from that filter. It wont create a laminar flow.

archive material
:eusa_clap

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!