Fisana

- - - - -

parafilm

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_lost_onabbey_rd_*

Guest_lost_onabbey_rd_*

Posted 07 October 2005 - 01:50 PM

hey guys i was just wondering what's up with this stuff..
all my dishes seem to be fine after a wrap them.. for about a week or so
then there starts to get all these rips and tears..?
also anybody got some good wrapping tips they would be greatly appricated
lost

#2 waylitjim

waylitjim

A Mirror Image

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 4,706 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 07 October 2005 - 01:51 PM

I use 4 squares of parafilm per dish.
I only get tears once I start to reuse
it a few times. Are you only using 3 squares?

#3 Guest_lost_onabbey_rd_*

Guest_lost_onabbey_rd_*

Posted 07 October 2005 - 02:03 PM

ya i've been using 3 squares... maybe that is why.. :)
so 4 squares for the next batch it is..
on an interesting side note.. my grocery store shitake clone got a green/blue contam right around the outer edge on day 8 or 9... now on day 15 it seems like the shitake is gonna eat it... :) i figured there'd be some sort of line where they would square off or what not.. but as of this moment the shatike has grown right up to it with the .5mm.. should be an interesting sight when i get home from work tonight
lost

#4 Odin 13

Odin 13

Exciteable Boy!

• Expired Member
  • 136 posts

Posted 08 October 2005 - 12:35 AM

The parafilm opens up down the road because you stretched it a little too much. Don't pull it so much (put less tension on it) as you go around the dish. Only stretch it maybe 1/3 longer than the original piece. I check dishes on a regular basis & refilm any that open up. I always start with a new piece.

#5 Guest_Peter Cottontail_*

Guest_Peter Cottontail_*

Posted 08 October 2005 - 01:51 PM

Correct. You can also make parafilm go much further by cutting it in half lengthwise. You only need 1" wide to wrap a petri dish, but the standard parafilm is 2" wide. I used to use 3 squares as well, but have started using 4 due to it opening up after a time. It also matters what type of petri dish you use. The cheap ones from www.cenmed.com seem to have sharp edges that are hard on the parafilm. More expensive petri dishes have smoother edges.
RR

#6 iamsmiley

iamsmiley

the ice woman

• Expired Member
  • 1,766 posts

Posted 08 October 2005 - 06:11 PM

i use masking tape on my petris for year and it works great and its cheap also.Petris can even double as a frisbee they are so secure! I just wrap the tape around once and almost never get a contamed dish,give it a try you won't go back

#7 spore

spore

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 61 posts

Posted 08 October 2005 - 06:14 PM

Is the parafilm or tape required to act as a barrier against contams? I know in the lab doing bacterial cultures we have never used anything like parafilm, so is it necessary?

spore....

#8 Guest_Peter Cottontail_*

Guest_Peter Cottontail_*

Posted 08 October 2005 - 07:07 PM

Yes. A lab at school is probably far cleaner than a bedroom with carpet, bedding, your own breath as you sleep all night, cooking fumes, a nearby refrigerator, etc. It's almost a certain that petri dishes of agar will contaminate without parafilm or some other gas permeable wrap.
RR

#9 spore

spore

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 61 posts

Posted 08 October 2005 - 07:12 PM

thanks RR, wish I was still of school age, its been a number of years since college.

spore....

#10 siam_jim

siam_jim

Mycotopia Mod

• Expired Member
  • 1,853 posts

Posted 09 October 2005 - 07:50 AM

hey has anyone ever thought of using piping tape..it stretches and stick tight and not such a fuss to work with...smiley's i dea is good too. hey lost sorry for dragging your thread

#11 highflyer

highflyer

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 423 posts

Posted 11 October 2005 - 12:47 AM

An alternative to parafilm ive used in the past is Gladwrap. One width of it wraps around the dish nicely.

Aside from that...I usually use 2 squares of parafilm and have not had a problem with it opening. Its usually stretched tight with no problems. I never reuse it.

#12 bassplar99

bassplar99

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 135 posts

Posted 10 January 2006 - 09:58 PM

I made up some petri dishes and let them site overnight to cool without parafilm. The next day they did not have condensation on the lid. I innoculated them and now there is condensation forming on the lid. What should I do? Thanks.

#13 Guest_dial8_*

Guest_dial8_*

Posted 11 January 2006 - 09:09 AM

Condensation is common with petri dishes. There is really not much to worry about.

#14 siam_jim

siam_jim

Mycotopia Mod

• Expired Member
  • 1,853 posts

Posted 23 January 2006 - 09:26 AM

i am hoping the community can help me with this, i just ran out of parafilm tape to seal my culture dish, what other alternative(s) can i use that will do approx as the parafilm tape..keeping contams out but breathable?..i wonder if double-triple wrapped medical tape will work?

thanks
peace
siam

#15 Guest_dial8_*

Guest_dial8_*

Posted 23 January 2006 - 10:02 AM

I bet the tape would work. It filters down to 0.3 microns doesn't it?

#16 MurCurY

MurCurY

I.Know.All

• OG VIP
  • 1,322 posts

Posted 23 January 2006 - 12:25 PM

i was using a 2" section of ceran wrap cut from the end until i got my roll.

#17 BuckarooBanzai

BuckarooBanzai

The Abe Vigoda of Mycotopia

• 8,968 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 23 January 2006 - 04:13 PM

If you just need/can afford a little, you can pick it up on eBay in small strips for change a foot. People sell it to mask model airplane parts when painting.

#18 siam_jim

siam_jim

Mycotopia Mod

• Expired Member
  • 1,853 posts

Posted 25 January 2006 - 09:31 PM

you know i remembered in my high school bio class we used masking tape. i don't know how much filtering micron..it has.
has anyone ever tried masking tape? any neg or pos response from it?
peace
siam

#19 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 25 January 2006 - 09:34 PM

pop the petri in a ziplock

#20 siam_jim

siam_jim

Mycotopia Mod

• Expired Member
  • 1,853 posts

Posted 25 January 2006 - 09:40 PM

hey hip how about the gas exchange? will the ziplock provide this?
peace
siam

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!