• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 Schemgie

Schemgie

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 29 posts

Posted 28 July 2007 - 05:18 PM

Im thinking of doing a tub and was just trying to decide what type of subtrate to use....I have an abundance of compost available to me would that work if so what ratios would i need...any feedback on this subject would be cool.......

#2 Lazlo

Lazlo

old hand

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 7,620 posts

Posted 28 July 2007 - 05:53 PM

What sort of mushrooms do you want to grow?

#3 Schemgie

Schemgie

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 29 posts

Posted 29 July 2007 - 09:50 AM

I was thinking either Golden teacher or PESA

#4 Lazlo

Lazlo

old hand

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 7,620 posts

Posted 29 July 2007 - 09:53 AM

Sure, it will work great. Just make sure the stuff you use is nice and dark, with a spongey feel to it. It should smell like a rich potting soil as well.

#5 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 29 July 2007 - 10:12 AM

might mix it 50/50 with coir .

#6 Schemgie

Schemgie

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 29 posts

Posted 29 July 2007 - 10:17 AM

thanks for now ill be sure to post some pics of my setup

#7 Schemgie

Schemgie

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 29 posts

Posted 29 July 2007 - 10:18 AM

coir available at any gardening shop??

#8 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 29 July 2007 - 10:29 AM

i get mine at pet store, reptile bedding

Posted Image

#9 ttam

ttam

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 86 posts

Posted 29 July 2007 - 11:01 AM

hip...im curious, why do you mix the manure (or compost) with coir, why not just straight manure (or compost)??

#10 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 29 July 2007 - 11:08 AM

it adds fluff, extra light = more air, porous
often earthy subs pack down
so a little coir or straw helps

#11 Freaky

Freaky

Head Editor

• Expired Member
  • 12,219 posts

Posted 29 July 2007 - 07:47 PM

it adds fluff, extra light = more air, porous
often earthy subs pack down
so a little coir or straw helps

True, True!!!!!

Straight manure based composts work fine, but adding to it helps it colonize quicker and just overall performs better imo.

#12 37pens

37pens

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 14 posts

Posted 29 July 2007 - 09:38 PM

You can also try a local hydroponics shop for coir. Mine sells bricks for $2.50 USD, half the price of the pet stores here.

#13 Motorbike

Motorbike

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 260 posts

Posted 30 July 2007 - 08:30 PM

Thats good news on the compost - got a huge pile on Fox Farm marinading with 2 truck loads of cow poo & a few blocks of coir laying around..

#14 eatyualive

eatyualive

ExoCannibalist

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 6,153 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 31 July 2007 - 10:07 AM

coir is also available at petco for 3 bricks for 10$. this is located in the reptile section for reptile bedding. always a good substrate additive. if you don't have that you can do verm but coir is much better. i go 50/50 coir to nutrient substrate then add a bit of poo after that. if anything you can always add just a bit of verm as well if you have it.

#15 WoodyWatson

WoodyWatson

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 2 posts

Posted 31 July 2007 - 10:14 AM

I got this off the Mycotopia site and i was wondering if it was pretty easy to get it to grow.
I was just going to use this combo for the substrate
  • 20 tbls finch seed (steep for 45 minutes in mineral water first)
  • 7 tbls brown rice flour
  • 4 tbls flax seed meal
  • 10 tbls vermiculite
  • Mineral water
If you have any suggestions for me, i would really appreciate it, since this is my first time.

#16 roc

roc

Forum International Moderator

• 8,002 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 31 July 2007 - 12:13 PM

Did someone mention coffee?

#17 myco-curious

myco-curious

Mike O. Kuerias

• Expired Member
  • 67 posts

Posted 31 July 2007 - 06:13 PM

coir is also available at petco for 3 bricks for 10$. this is located in the reptile section for reptile bedding. always a good substrate additive. if you don't have that you can do verm but coir is much better. i go 50/50 coir to nutrient substrate then add a bit of poo after that. if anything you can always add just a bit of verm as well if you have it.

I order my coir online from hydroponic supply stores because, in bulk, you can get for about $2.00 a brick (roughly three gallons per brick) when you buy it by the case.

----
As far as compost goes, you need to make sure that no woods such as cedar were used in the composting process because of the natural fungicides it contains. Also, ultimately, it helps if you make the compost yourself because mushies like HALF composted substrates, finished compost doesn't have the same set of nutrients.

And the stuff called "mushroom compost" sold at stores is completely devoid of mushroom nutrients since it's the consumed remnants of what was used in a mushroom factory as the substrate - that one comes up a lot.

#18 Motorbike

Motorbike

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 260 posts

Posted 31 July 2007 - 11:37 PM

:)

Increased coffee & fruit intake do to the compost pit...

Its 6 ft deep...:headbang:

Unlimited Cow Poo

:)

#19 Motorbike

Motorbike

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 260 posts

Posted 31 July 2007 - 11:53 PM

Pic

Attached Thumbnails

• DSC01230 (Custom).JPG

#20 myco-curious

myco-curious

Mike O. Kuerias

• Expired Member
  • 67 posts

Posted 01 August 2007 - 06:34 PM

I plan on building a three bin system later this year or early next year but so far, free piles have been working fine for me.

The magic about compost is, if you look at that pile, it started off as three cubic yards of oak leaves as well as a couple bushels of rotten produce and about 30 lbs of free coffee grounds from starbucks. The finished pile had a pH of 7.0...

If you look close it will seem rather, um, twiggy, but that's no problem when I using it as substrate because I run it through the chipper/shredder before pasteurization and/or brewing compost tea (which i often use to hydrate my substrates)

It dawned on me that all of the thermophilic microbes that heat the pile up to it's self-pasteurizing 160(F) temps are the self-same microbes that stimulate pinning and assist fight off contaminates in our pasteurized substrates. So I figured why not take some fresh brewed tea and use it to hydrate my coir+compost based substrates? If nothing else, it provides a boatload of readily assimilates nutrients for the mycelium as it recovers from being spawned.

As always, YMMV...

Attached Thumbnails

• compost.jpg
  • 92281.gif

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!