• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#21 Motorbike

Motorbike

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 260 posts

Posted 03 August 2007 - 10:02 PM

It dawned on me that all of the thermophilic microbes that heat the pile up to it's self-pasteurizing 160(F) temps are the self-same microbes that stimulate pinning and assist fight off contaminates in our pasteurized substrates. So I figured why not take some fresh brewed tea and use it to hydrate my coir+compost based substrates? If nothing else, it provides a boatload of readily assimilates nutrients for the mycelium as it recovers from being spawned.

Was thinking the same thing today when I spun the pile & a heatwave of gasses came out a foot down or so.. Does it really get 160F pasturing itself ?

#22 myco-curious

myco-curious

Mike O. Kuerias

• Expired Member
  • 67 posts

Posted 04 August 2007 - 06:13 AM

Was thinking the same thing today when I spun the pile & a heatwave of gasses came out a foot down or so.. Does it really get 160F pasturing itself ?

Yes, this is why pathogens from diseased plants don't make it through the composting process. A heathly, active aerobic pile will have a core temp around 140-160(F).

Of course, keeping it active means turning it's insides out every couple days - week, so that fresh air, moisture and nutrients can reach the center of the pile where the thermophillic microbes concentrate.

#23 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 17 September 2007 - 07:04 PM

hey i bought one of those recently at harborfreight,
handy if a bit quirky and small-scale.
Posted Image

#24 Lazlo

Lazlo

old hand

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 7,620 posts

Posted 17 September 2007 - 09:45 PM

I plan on building a three bin system later this year or early next year but so far, free piles have been working fine for me.

The magic about compost is, if you look at that pile, it started off as three cubic yards of oak leaves as well as a couple bushels of rotten produce and about 30 lbs of free coffee grounds from starbucks. The finished pile had a pH of 7.0...

If you look close it will seem rather, um, twiggy, but that's no problem when I using it as substrate because I run it through the chipper/shredder before pasteurization and/or brewing compost tea (which i often use to hydrate my substrates)

It dawned on me that all of the thermophilic microbes that heat the pile up to it's self-pasteurizing 160(F) temps are the self-same microbes that stimulate pinning and assist fight off contaminates in our pasteurized substrates. So I figured why not take some fresh brewed tea and use it to hydrate my coir+compost based substrates? If nothing else, it provides a boatload of readily assimilates nutrients for the mycelium as it recovers from being spawned.

As always, YMMV...

Shit, I completely forgot about the composting thread I was going to start.

With a pile like the one you have there, it's nearly impossible to tell whether you have a correctly balanced carbon/nitrogen ratio for optimal composting and an end result.

I'll get right on it tommorrow. :dead:

#25 spunforfun

spunforfun

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 149 posts

Posted 17 September 2007 - 09:52 PM

I bought the exact shredder Hippie. I found out that if you take your time and dont feed to much in the shredder it works kickass! sorry to get of the subject of the thread! :bow:

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!