Paradox
©
Fisana

Photo
- - - - -

PsychoTek Glovebox - less mess, 24 bucks.

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 psychonaut

psychonaut

Mad as a Hatter

• Expired Member
  • 64 posts

Posted 30 July 2007 - 01:14 AM

Rubbermaid container clear on all sides with a lid that locks on the top bought from TheMartWhichMustNotBeNamed.

Cost 7.00

4 1/2" Hole Saw and the bit that goes into it bought from a hardware store with a big blueass building. Keep the packaging intact. (see below)

Cost 45.00

(2) 4" PVC Male adapters

Cost 10.00

(2) 4" PVC Female adapters

Cost 7.00

Total Cost of Box: 24.00 (keep reading)

http://mycotopia.net...41&d=1185773654

I happened to own a file, drill bits, and an electric drill. The file was used to clean off the plastic after cutting it with the hole saw, but isn't really necessary.

Step 1 - Mark the holes for the arm openings.
I simply measured 4 1/2" up from the bottom, 7" from each side and used a marker to place a dot.

Step 2 - Used a drill with my smallest bit and gradually made the hole size larger by increasing bit size until the pilot hole was the same size as my hole saw pilot bit size.

Step 3 - Kind of silly, but my hole saw bit didn't fit into my drill, so I hand cranked the sucker about 400 times applying even pressure, being careful not to crack the flimsy rubbermaid container using the 4 1/2" hole saw blade with the bit installed into the center of the hole saw blade. (this just didn't fit into my drill head, yours might but note that mine didn't crack at all using this technique, so who knows)

It looked about like this:
http://mycotopia.net...42&d=1185773654

Step 4 - File lightly the edges, this plastic crap makes a mess and by twisting the bit by hand my hole wasn't 'perfectly' clean around the edges, but it looked fine to me. (you can do this step if you have the file, if not pick the plastic pieces off by hand)

Step 5 - Lightly twist the male PVC adapter into the opening you cut, with the collar facing out so it looks like so: (Absolutely no cutting away/sealing/glueing/caulking required, yay!!)

http://mycotopia.net...43&d=1185773654

Step 6 - Lightly twist the female part onto the male PVC adapter, rocking it back and forth until they meet up - opposites attract!

http://mycotopia.net...44&d=1185773654

Step 7 - Dream about how great your microscope is going to look inside this glovebox. I chose not to attach gloves, but they can attach neatly enough with some small adaptations - mainly you don't want moving air, so this is probably fine for most people, especially us beginners, yay! I recommend using large circle clamps to attach gloves purchased from AutoWhateverStore if you feel the need. You should wear gloves when using your microscope in your new glovebox.

http://mycotopia.net...45&d=1185773814

Step 8 - That damn hole saw bit and hole saw didn't fit my blasted drill, so I returned them both to the big blue hardware store I bought em from - hey having that receipt is handy! Optionally, you can keep your super new hole saw to drill uh, big circles into things.

Total Cost: 24 bucks and literally 15 minutes. It took me longer to write this post and edit the images than it did to build the box :amazed:

Have fun!
-Psychonaut

Attached Thumbnails

• CompletedArms.jpg
  • completedbox.jpg
  • HalfArms.jpg
  • HolesCut.jpg
  • ToolsNeeded.jpg

#2 ttam

ttam

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 86 posts

Posted 30 July 2007 - 01:39 AM

totally gunna build one of those!!!

anyone got tips on a good way to attach gloves though? i didnt really understand what you were saying about the gloves

#3 Sunstar

Sunstar

Gazer of the innerself

• Expired Member
  • 2,031 posts

Posted 30 July 2007 - 01:52 AM

Nice job, I like it.
I like the female connector pieces
that attach on the inside

#4 psychonaut

psychonaut

Mad as a Hatter

• Expired Member
  • 64 posts

Posted 30 July 2007 - 01:52 AM

If you want to attach gloves, you can buy 5-6" hose clamps from an autoparts store that should fit around the pvc and allow the gloves to clamp to the pvc or Yogin suggested using rubberbands :) Hose clamps have a screw on them that allows them to tighten down to get a snug fit.

So long as you move slowly though, wearing gloves, you should be fine. The point of the box is to not have drafts of badness coming into your work - work in a small clean room and use good cleaning practices - shower, wear a dust mask, wear clean gloves, spray your box out and spray your work, set it in your box, spray it again for good measure, close your box, let it sit for a bit to let the cleaning spray do it's work, then work slowly and carefully.

Have fun!
-Psychonaut

#5 psychonaut

psychonaut

Mad as a Hatter

• Expired Member
  • 64 posts

Posted 30 July 2007 - 02:26 AM

Pic of a hose clamp and good gloves (might slit the sleeve to have it fit around the pvc)

#6 psychonaut

psychonaut

Mad as a Hatter

• Expired Member
  • 64 posts

Posted 30 July 2007 - 02:36 AM

Pic of hose clamps and proper gloves - you might slit the sleeve to go around the pvc or you might use like dryer ventilation to attach the gloves using four clamps instead of two, who knows - me, I'm not going to worry about clamping the gloves to the pvc at this point.

Attached Thumbnails

• GlovesUnattached.jpg
  • GlovesandClamps.jpg

#7 Guest_vinz_*

Guest_vinz_*

Posted 30 July 2007 - 02:55 AM

lol we have the same gloves
thats a neat glovebox ;)
wtg! :horse:

#8 kocos

kocos

The PsYhead

• Expired Member
  • 2,641 posts

Posted 30 July 2007 - 04:56 AM

U really love that dead horse dont you? :D

RElly nice GB too, i got the box, now i need some long gloves and PVC parts.

#9 goldenteacher1163

goldenteacher1163

myco guru

• Free Member
  • 322 posts

Posted 30 July 2007 - 06:42 AM

How do you use an alcohol burner inside a plastic glovebox? Foaf would rather use something like that. Curently he uses a 10 gallon aquarium and it is heavy and kinda stays out in the open even when not using his microscope but the glass enables him to use the alcohol burner for sterilizing

#10 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 30 July 2007 - 06:44 AM

good write-up
:thumbup:

#11 spunforfun

spunforfun

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 149 posts

Posted 30 July 2007 - 10:19 AM

nice job!! Im sure that a lot of other people will follow your design.:eusa_clap

#12 fattyz

fattyz

headless horseman

• Expired Member
  • 140 posts

Posted 11 September 2007 - 10:05 AM

i just happen to be making one of those today and am going out now to get the adapters. I was going to use all duct tape to attach the gloves but yours is a much more elegant solution. I wish I had thought of it, I had my own swimming pool biz for 10 years and glued lots of that stuff together! Very nice.

FattyZ:bow:

#13 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 17 September 2007 - 07:08 PM

cheap alternative to expensive plumbing fixtures-
get cheap plastic flower pots
use hole saw to cut out bottoms
voila!

#14 Cosmikdebris

Cosmikdebris

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 39 posts

Posted 19 September 2007 - 01:31 PM

Sweet set up...Nice work! :bow:

#15 dial8

dial8

3 Fungi Mod

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 5,767 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 19 September 2007 - 02:10 PM

Wow, man, wierd. We have almost the exact same gb. I did not attach gloves to mine, however. The most important thing is still air and I cant stand working with constraining gloves.

Very nice write up, btw.

#16 Ras Asad

Ras Asad

Amor vincit omnia

• Expired Member
  • 3,741 posts

Posted 19 September 2007 - 03:09 PM

Niice write up mate!:D

Im about to build one miself.... I didnt know that gloves arent needed tho? hmmmmmmmm

#17 dial8

dial8

3 Fungi Mod

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 5,767 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 20 September 2007 - 08:38 AM

Gloves are not always needed. If one knows what he/she is doing and one's room is fairly clean then I have found gloves are not needed. You just have to be carefull not to do something crazy like blow a bunch of air up in the gb. Still air is really all that is needed and its much easier to acheive still air in a gb then an entire room.

There is only one thing I dont like about this design. If you have a deep gb, which I do, and you have to reach deep into it and manipulate an object then those pvc parts can hinder your movement by not allowing your elbow to bend. I think I used 6 inch pvc couplers. I'd recommend 8 if you can find em.

#18 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 20 September 2007 - 08:49 AM

like i said
cheap plastic flower pots
come in all sizes
cut out bottom

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!