46 replies to this topic

#21 prism

prism

VIP Member

• Expired Member
  • 5,943 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 August 2007 - 08:33 AM

If my friend gets it I'll let ya'll know if its good.

#22 PsychoDrogue

PsychoDrogue

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 2,258 posts

Posted 02 August 2007 - 01:43 PM

i have a non foot pedal version made by the same company as the one your friend is bidding on. It works well. dont even need to turn it up passed level 3 or 4 to do most hobby related seals. you need to turn it down below 1 to do a ziplock baggie without burning threw it.

#23 prism

prism

VIP Member

• Expired Member
  • 5,943 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 03 August 2007 - 06:13 AM

What is the company that it is made by? He doesn't say on E-Bay

#24 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 03 August 2007 - 06:19 AM

Tabletop Poly Bag Sealer - Impulse - Uline

$88
the repair kits extend life considerably,
re-built mine twice so far,
in about 3 years,
proly done 2-3 thousand bags with it
for mycrotopia .

#25 Aqua Velva

Aqua Velva

One Day At a Time

• Expired Member
  • 140 posts

Posted 09 February 2008 - 05:36 AM

I'm looking to buy a new impulse sealer and was wondering why there is such a huge fluctuation in prices. Is there a noticeable difference in quality between a $40 12" sealer and $150 12" sealer with the same specs?

#26 bear

bear

Silly Animal

• Expired Member
  • 984 posts

Posted 09 February 2008 - 09:58 AM

I'm looking to buy a new impulse sealer and was wondering why there is such a huge fluctuation in prices. Is there a noticeable difference in quality between a $40 12" sealer and $150 12" sealer with the same specs?

I don't know, but I bought the cheap one and it's fine (though to be honest its a really nice sealer) the best deals can be had by people trying to unload property rather than sellers selling things.... also - if I was to go back and do it again I would have bought a wider sealer..cause mine is lame.

Bear

#27 isca

isca

Former Member

• Banned Member
  • 32 posts

Posted 09 February 2008 - 12:05 PM

i got a cheap one i got off of ebay for 36 bucks. work fine. some of them comes with cutting option also maybe that is where the high price comes in. mine doesn't come with cutting option, just seal! i can do the cutting myself though.

#28 TastyBeverage

TastyBeverage

Goodbye Ofelia

• Expired Member
  • 5,229 posts

Posted 09 February 2008 - 12:52 PM

I have this little handheld device called a Eurosealer that is like a like a clamp with a wire that you press down against a pad and drag across the bag to seal it. It's a little clumsy, but it was only $6.99 new at Bed Bath & Beyond and takes AA batteries.

#29 bugs

bugs

Are we having fun yet?

• OG VIP
  • 3,260 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 February 2008 - 02:45 PM

I bought a Harbor Freight 15 1/2" sealer, and it's been working great for over a year now. It's ITEM 43477-2VGA at harborfreight.com and is only $39.99.

:thumbup:

#30 tomstevens

tomstevens

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 198 posts

Posted 09 February 2008 - 06:21 PM

$39.99 is very cheap and looks like your best bet...go with harbor freight..

#31 Aqua Velva

Aqua Velva

One Day At a Time

• Expired Member
  • 140 posts

Posted 09 February 2008 - 07:54 PM

I bought a Harbor Freight 15 1/2" sealer, and it's been working great for over a year now. It's ITEM 43477-2VGA at harborfreight.com and is only $39.99.

:thumbup:

That is actually where I purchased my last one at. Their prices are definitely great even with shipping added. I know these work well, but after a little over a year of frequent use, the heating element keeps burning through the teflon. The element seems to have hot spots. Before someone asks- Yes, I have replaced the heating element and teflon (twice now). It works fine for about 10-20 seals, then starts burning through the teflon again.

I was just hoping that maybe someone out there would know if there was a difference with the more expensive models.

#32 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• 12,865 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 February 2008 - 08:25 PM

I'm guessing most of us around here don't have much experience with the expensive version of anything available cheap at Harbor Freight, but that more $$$ means fewer little headaches like the hot spots, at least that's the hope. You get what you pay for... IF you're lucky!

#33 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 09 February 2008 - 08:28 PM

i got mine from Boxes, Shipping Boxes, Shipping Supplies, Packaging Materials, Cardboard Boxes - ULINE
literally have triple sealed thousands of bags
bought their rebuild kit to replace worn out parts
and back to work.
had it 3 years now.
i recommend them highly.

#34 Aqua Velva

Aqua Velva

One Day At a Time

• Expired Member
  • 140 posts

Posted 09 February 2008 - 08:50 PM

i got mine from Boxes, Shipping Boxes, Shipping Supplies, Packaging Materials, Cardboard Boxes - ULINE
literally have triple sealed thousands of bags
bought their rebuild kit to replace worn out parts
and back to work.
had it 3 years now.
i recommend them highly.

THANK YOU HIP! That is EXACTLY what I was looking for. Uline is one of the vendors I was looking at. With as many bags as I'm sure you have sealed, I know I can trust your opinion on this.

#35 sandman

sandman

Lil Skeeter

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 3,753 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 10 February 2008 - 11:29 AM

i guess im the only maroon that spent $125 on a 12" sealer....as far as I can see from the pictures of the $40 ones, they look the same to me. D'oh!

#36 tomstevens

tomstevens

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 198 posts

Posted 10 February 2008 - 11:50 AM

i guess im the only maroon that spent $125 on a 12" sealer....as far as I can see from the pictures of the $40 ones, they look the same to me. D'oh!

No Sandman I spent about 120 on mine as well...but it works like a charm...over 500 bags and counting...:headbang:

#37 bugs

bugs

Are we having fun yet?

• OG VIP
  • 3,260 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 10 February 2008 - 01:18 PM

Can't say I've had any troubles with the HF sealer, but then I've only sealed maybe 50 bags with it. Just lucky I guess.

Yeah, uline is good stuff, and in general you do get what you pay for.

#38 Kreat

Kreat

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 269 posts

Posted 28 March 2008 - 05:52 PM

I was looking through a catalog when i cam upon this little gadget. I know its not as good as an impulse sealer, but for the money I think its worth a shot. Theres a retail store by me who has these in stock and I plan on buying one as I have some bags coming in. I'll let everyone know how they work.

Has anyone tried this thing before?
http://www.harborfre...temnumber=95863

#39 abbr.

abbr.

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 254 posts

Posted 28 March 2008 - 06:09 PM

I am interested in hearing how this works.
It says good to 4 mil.
And its cheap enough to try.
I was kind of "Sticker Shocked" when I looked
at impulse sealers at the store.
I'm sure they can be found cheaper,
but I just thought they were much less!
G'Luck

#40 Defiance

Defiance

Trainee

• OG VIP
  • 1,386 posts

Posted 28 March 2008 - 06:15 PM

Yeah, that looks like it's worth a shot.

I just use a hot glue gun myself.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!