46 replies to this topic

#41 bugs

bugs

Are we having fun yet?

• OG VIP
  • 3,260 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 March 2008 - 06:41 PM

Clever little thing. Good price. Got me curious.

If I were going to seal many bags with it, I think I'd invest in a couple of rechargeable batteries. I bet that thing eats 'em like crazy.

#42 atb

atb

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 6 posts

Posted 28 March 2008 - 06:44 PM

I bought 2 of those, they were fairly bad quality. and it burned the plastic allot. but it could be the brand that makes the difference

#43 Lazlo

Lazlo

old hand

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 7,620 posts

Posted 28 March 2008 - 06:57 PM

Eh, no. Get something reliable when it comes to buying an impulse sealer. You definitely get what you pay for when it comes to impulse sealers. Electronics in general really. Check ebay.

#44 bugs

bugs

Are we having fun yet?

• OG VIP
  • 3,260 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 March 2008 - 07:05 PM

As mentioned in another thread, I got the Harbor Freight sealer (regular type). Low price, and I've had no problems, but others have had various issues with fast wear-out and questionable seals.

That little unit is probably like those things in the infomercials. Looks like the best thing since canned beer, but never works when you get it. Though for 3.99 I'm almost tempted. But, when you think about the time and effort in making spawn bags, good tools are worth it.

Do it right, or give Hip the business.

#45 malefacter

malefacter

:P

• Expired Member
  • 1,047 posts

Posted 28 March 2008 - 08:02 PM

i got an expencive mounted seeler with a foot pedel from ebay and it did :horse:not work at all

#46 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 28 March 2008 - 08:19 PM

try Boxes, Shipping Boxes, Shipping Supplies, Packaging Materials, Cardboard Boxes - ULINE

#47 BAT2099

BAT2099

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 9 posts

Posted 02 April 2008 - 12:28 PM

A clothes iron works at least as well as an impulse sealer. You need to put the end of the bag in a fold of paper and iron over the paper 1-2 cm from the end of the bag. The iron should be at maximum power and you should iron for half a minute or so. After that, let it cool a bit and remove the excess paper. You are left with a solid seal with the plastic fused together and the paper stuck to it. And after you use the bag you can just cut off the 1-2 cm that are fused and use the bag again.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!